Some pictures from five ancestors

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Some pictures from five ancestors

Post by Rick Wilson »

Some pictures from Wuzu Quan (Wuzhu Quan, Cantonese Ngor Chor Kuen or Ng Zou Kyun) or "Boxes of the five ancestors"

Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Technique

As much of styles originating in the south of China, Wuzuquan is centered on the techniques of hands; the kicks are not used that to strike under the belt.

One seeks "to stick" the adversary to prevent it from carrying attacks, and to put it out of combat of some strike powerful and decisive; the simplicity and the saving in movement are characteristics of the style.

Wuzuquan adopted White Crane its techniques of hands and the use of the point of the fingers, style of the monkey strike them palm and dodgings, of Taizuquan its techniques of legs, Luohanquan its displacements short, and Xuannuquan its exercises of conditioning of the body.

From: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... en%26lr%3D
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Any connection to kenpo?
EDIT: Because, so many karate styles seem to take something from five ancestors, like goju-ryu and kyokushin, i heard that most karate can be linked to kenpo.

Is this mixed with kenpo as well?
Last edited by AAAhmed46 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

That is like asking if there is any connection to Kung fu. Kenpo is a generic term.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Uechi is a Kenpo art :)

I think theres a realtionship ... damn Fukienese and there super styles ....

Have been enjoying looking at them .

Cool Picks Rick !!
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Really? I though kenpo was more....."defined" compared to kung-fu. Guess im wrong there.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

AAAhmed46 wrote:Really? I though kenpo was more....."defined" compared to kung-fu. Guess im wrong there.
Nope Kenpo kind of like saying our take on kung fu in okinawan ....

at least thats my interpretation of it , literally a translation of Quan fa ,

Fist law ?

theres styles around that call themselves Kempo , the Ed Parkers etc , but in a true sense it`s a much broader label than that .
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Five Ancestor Fist uses a form of Sanchin (called Sam Chien in Chinese), but they did not create Sanchin. Five Ancestor Fist dates back to the late 1800s and its creator was a contemporary of Kanryo Higashionna (the teacher of Goju Ryu's founder).

Here is a list of available videos:
http://www.bakbakan.com/video-ac.htm
I have the first one. Their Sanchin is in many ways similar to the way Goju practices Sanchin.

And there is also a book available by Alexander Co, the same person who made the videos:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080483 ... e&n=283155

In the book and some magazine articles Co and another Five Ancestor stylist have tried to make the claim that Five Ancestor Fist is the parent of all Okinawan karate, Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu in particular. While Five Ancestor definitely seems related to Goju and Uechi, to the same extent as Goju and Uechi are related to each other, it is doubtful as the parent of either. It is more likely that the 3 are sister styles with similar influences.
Glenn
emattson

Re: Some pictures from five ancestors

Post by emattson »

"Wuzuquan adopted White Crane its techniques of hands"

The White Crane technique came from Yongchun County, Fujian province, China. The movements do not require great strength. The style main priorities are evasion and attacking an opponent's vulnerabilities instead of using physical strength. Because of these factors, the style is popular for women.

According to oral tradition, the White Crane style was developed by Fang Qīniáng. While she was doing her chores, a crane landed nearby. She tried to shoo the bird off using a stick, but it evaded or block her every thrusts. Qīniáng carefully studied the crane's movements, then combined these movements with techniques learned from her father, creating the White Crane Style.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”