What does this symbol represent

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

eSc

What does this symbol represent

Post by eSc »

Ok This may be a silly question that I should know but please don't make fun :)

What does this symbol represent?

f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

The octagon represents the eight Kata of Uechi.

The swirls are Hidari gomon.

The circular nature of the center denotes no beginning or end.

It was developed in defiance of the Satsuma invasion of 1609, Hidari Gomon that is.

You may notice yours turns to the right. It is incorrect, it should turn to the left.

There are Japanese symbols that are samurai family crests that use this symbol, the Japanese one turns to the right.

There's more to it if you want. But that sums it up.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
I was dreaming of the past...
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

The symbol esc posted is not incorrect, it is just not the Okinawan version. It is Migi (right) Domai. You are correct that the symbol for the Ryu Kyus is the left swirling Hidari Gomon.

Rich
Last edited by RACastanet on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Without the colors, this is the Uechi family crest. You can see the hidari gomon in the background behind the "Ue" symbol.

Did you show compassion today?
John Giacoletti

Ue symbol

Post by John Giacoletti »

The Uechi Crest as shown in Dana's post shows the UE symbol in green.

It means Number One, Top Level, The Best.

It's the first letter in "Uechi" on the Gi patches.
There is much to make of every moment.
John Giacoletti

Local Use

What does this symbol represent?

In our dojo, if you bring in a new member you get this symbol on a patch to sew on the right chest of your gi.
You're rewarded for making Uechi grow/go :)

Also, kids have internal magnets :lol: They don't really line up as much as they cluster in columns or horizontal lines. Sensei spots the dojo floor with the Okinawan decals so the kids can find their spot and give each other enough room to work.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Uechi grow or the tuition pot.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:D

There's a lot more symbolism in Dana's as well. I was given one of those as a belt pin in 1990 for attending the Okikukai summer camp in N.H.
F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here is some brief general information on the symbol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoe
and then some of the stories behind how it became the symbol for Okinawa:
http://www.okinawa.com/faq.html
http://www.okinawan-shorinryu.com/okinawa/symbol.html

This thread from 2002 was one of the more interesting discussions of the symbol on these forums over the years:
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?p=65102
Interestingly the version eSc shows above has been described as turning in the wrong direction, but it is the same version as that used by George on patches as shown in the other thread.
Glenn
John Giacoletti

Amen

Uechi grow or the tuition pot.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The tuition pot just paid for 7000 Academic Black Belt Medals given to the children of 9 elementary public schools. They are similar to the tournament medals that Karate students receive ... Gold for A average; Silver for B and Bronze for C. There is absolutely no cost or obligation to the elementary school or any of the students.

Sensei Ric has worked for several years with the elementary school principles and guidance counselors to get this program established. He has three daughters 11 - 18 who have fostered his interest in the importance of education.

A student in our dojo has to maintain a C or better average in school to be eligible to take karate classes. Character and Leadership are key components of the young people's karate program. The advertising is something like ... We build blackbelt leaders one student at a time.

He has a small group of his former students like Crawford Ker, former Dallas Cowboy, and owner of the successful Winghouse Restraunt chain and boxer champion Winkie Wright who visit the schools with him and give motivational talks on how important attendence and grades are for success in later life.

Our community has men like Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry. There are better choices that youngsters can make.

In the overall picture, Okinawan culture is stressed. When Master Guichi visits, which is usually quaterly, he is accompanied by his wife Neiko Guishi who is an absolutely beautiful woman and talented Okinawan traditional dancer, They will visit a different elementary school each time and put a performance on of an Odori dance or a folk dance and Master Guishi will do his oar kata or Sans Sei Ryu. He is a veritable Okinawan cultural treasure.

What's is all about, Alfi? It's about the Martial Arts making an outreach in the community and touching lives in a very positive and professional manner.

It's a profitable business showing it cares and that good people can be financially successful people. Hard work pays off.
Dana Sheets

Kanji of the day - Ue

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://japanese.about.com/blkod39.htm

Strokes 3
On-reading jou
Kun-reading ue, a(geru), a(garu)
Meanings up, top, above, higher, superior, go up, raise, exhibit
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Let's start from the back.

The octagon with the tip pointed up is said to relate to the 8-fold path (we'll probably never know), most likely in my book the 8 main directions of navigation (the Okinawas were a sea-faring folk after all) which is the same as what folks like to idenitfy as the 8-directions of fighting, and only after Kanei Uechi added them to the system - the 8 kata of Uechi (so that last one is kind of a bonus, I think)

As for the chrysanthemum petals:

The Chrysanthemums in asian traditions symbolize autumn. Its Chinese name sounds similar to the words "remain" or "long time," so it represents virtuousness or long life. Chrysanthemums also symbolize nobility and are often placed in the Chinese imperial palaces. This is a beautiful example painted with a black brush that sharply contrasts the white background offering even further symbolism.

Chrysanthemum - Symbol of Autumn
Means: triumphant in Life: Persistence, Patience and Fortitude.
And we've already spoken about the hidari gomon and the kanji.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

John,

I also give academic patches and stars for following good report cards.
Students must bring in their report cards, the parents must be happy with them also. When testing my students must get a form signed by their teacher and parents allowing them to test.

I won't tell you how little I charge because you'll tell me I'm nuts.
This is from the other world I know, Judo. Many instructors teach 5-6 nights a week for the love of the art and no money at all.

No criticism for those who do otherwise, If It wasn't a Uechi dojo down there some other art would surely be in place. better a Uechi school.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
eSc

Post by eSc »

Dana Sheets wrote:Let's start from the back.

The octagon with the tip pointed up ....
In your image it shows the tip facing upwards. But in all other images (including G.E.M's) the flat is pointing up.

Is there any reason for the differences?
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

f.Channell wrote:John,

I also give academic patches and stars for following good report cards.
Students must bring in their report cards, the parents must be happy with them also. When testing my students must get a form signed by their teacher and parents allowing them to test.

I won't tell you how little I charge because you'll tell me I'm nuts.
This is from the other world I know, Judo. Many instructors teach 5-6 nights a week for the love of the art and no money at all.

F.
Fred. You're all right 8)

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”