Ipon nukite?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Ryokan

Ipon nukite?

Post by Ryokan »

Please forgive the transliteration if it's poor, but tonight in my Goju class, I brought up Ipon Nukite, which is one of the strikes I learned of (but didn't learn) when I studied Kouburyu.

What would this strike be used for? It seems rather impractical for all but the fleshiest bits.

One of the white belts suggested striking to pressure points -- is that even a remote possibility?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I need to understand the exact nukite you're talking about. What is the level of your nukite? And is it supinated (palm up), pronated (palm down) or in-between (palm to side)?

- Bill
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

In CMAs this tool and similar tools are used to take position and weave energy like a needle weaves a thread through a garment... It's about energy and position and how you can use this kind of strike to "whack" the opponent's attack, move his tool off the line; Issue force into his structure, unbalance him and otherwise take a position and gain contact--feel-in order to assist your attack.

Think of this strike as a forward "interruption" of the opponent's attack that could, for example, be a pre-cursor to a violent wa-uke.. One flows into and assists the other, they become one and the same in action..

These kinds of moves run all through many of these similar systems and are thought not first and foremost as a mere striking tool but as a tool that can, jam, stick, displace, disrupt, control space AND strike.. 8)

This is something you pick up from sticking training but it can be trained in "single move" attack defense drills too.

I'll post some clips..

Here's Gary..

Just some "ideas" there for your consideration...

http://www.garylamwingchun.com/movies/bui_512k.wmv
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I love the ways he moves. :D
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jim

I'm not sure I see what you see. But I guess everyone has their perspective

I agree with Van that this man moves very nicely. It's wonderful to see someone practically sleepwalking through such inside work.

FWIW, Jim, what I see is Gary (?) using various permutations of Sanseiryu's opening sequence to set up the "stupid trap."

More importantly, he does it while wearing a black leather jacket. It's all about the appearance, you know... 8)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ryokan

When I think about what you wrote, I believe what you meant was "ippon nukite." An ippon is a finishing technique or a "score." In baseball, it's the equivalent of a home run. Nuki*te translates literally as poking hand. Spear hand is another good translation.

Jim is right on the money when he's suggesting you don't necessarily need to use it as a "spearing hand." A spear can do many things, right? One doesn't just poke with the tip. One can also use it to deflect/redirect attacks - just like you would use a bo. And as for attacking, one can also use the side of the blade of the spear to attack.

"Ippon nukite" suggests you are finishing someone off. There are a few places where you could do that. An eye poke pretty much stops things. The side of the blade of the nukite can also graze pressure points on the jaw and neck. And double nukites can be used in the arm pits when someone is grabbing you and exposing those areas. This will hit the nerve bundle(s) just distal of the brachial plexus. This bundle branches off into the five major nerves that go down the arm. If you get one or both of them, the arm(s) will go numb for a bit. And then while you are there, you can grab onto the edges of the pectoralis muscles and toss the guy somewhere. (We have that in our kata. ;))

There are other nooks and crannies to use the nukite, but most of those are setups for other techniques.

Don't forget that the nukite is a metaphor. Put a knife or other pointy object in your hand, and you'll get the point. ;)

- Bill
Willy

Re: Ipon nukite?

Post by Willy »

Ryokan wrote:is that even a remote possibility?
I'd say it's very possible. Most systems that teach striking with a single extended finger target the soft fleshy areas of the body like the neck,solar plexus ,or eye. I see the ipon nukite as specific targeting to elicite a pain response.We know most people move away from pain. I see it as a set up and not a finish.

The technique requires very precise targeting, a fine motor skill, might not be available in the heat of things while the turbine blades are spinning .

*** I haven't trained in a system that advocates this strike so just my opinion
Willy

Post by Willy »

Ipon Nukite

I prefer the double finger myself

Nihon nukite

A more solid weapon , it works well in the neck :lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ahhh... Now I know what he's talking about. Thanks, Willy.

That would be ippon as in "number 1" or "one long thing."

Another great target for this technique is the suprasternal notch. That's the indentation center line in the neck just above the sternum and below the Adam's apple. When done correctly, it triggers the gag reflex from outside your body.

In the Fuzhou Suparinpei I do, there's a repeating sequence very much like the early triple-rising sequence in Seisan kata. But instead of being inside, this form suggests applying the same mindset (simultaneous block/attack) from the outside. Instead of rising inside, you "snake" your hand outside with the "nihon" (?) nukite Willy has picture above. The sequence is highly suggestive of striking to the eyes as you deflect "incoming." There's no reason why you can't do the same with the Goju technique you're talking about, or some variant of it.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

FWIW...

This version of the ippon nukite isn't a very good finishing technique. But it's great for getting things started... ;)

- Bill
Willy

Post by Willy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Jim

I'm not sure I see what you see.
Bill,

The clip was not intended to illustrate ALL the concepts I mentioned, though several are there--and it's not so much about "trapping" as it is about clearing space and taking position for the attack.

Single finger Nukite...? Hmmm seems to me I saw Bolo use that move in Blood Sport..

Ah yes...here is the correct application..

You are next...!
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

JimHawkins wrote:
Bill Glasheen wrote:Jim

I'm not sure I see what you see.
Bill,

The clip was not intended to illustrate ALL the concepts I mentioned, though several are there--and it's not so much about "trapping" as it is about clearing space and taking position for the attack.

Single finger Nukite...? Hmmm seems to me I saw Bolo use that move in Blood Sport..

Ah yes...here is the correct application..

You are next...!

Best....villian....EVER!

EDIT: Yes the movie is about a fraud 'true' story.

BUT BOLO IS COOL DAMN IT!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Ippon nukite Ippon ken sometimes ....

Bolo Yeung was better in enter the dragon though , bloodsport is more a comedy .....

oh ... stick it in there eye , or more correctly IMHO form it into a shoken and discard the hiding of the shoken like on pg 164 of theMcArthy translatipon of the Bubishi

one blade of grass hand , one of the six ji hands ....
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Well shokens are more reliable, i havent once used a nukite ever in class.
Bolo Yeung was better in enter the dragon though , bloodsport is more a comedy .....
Well he looked cooler in bloodsport, he made so many cool faces......

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”