What does the PETA say to veggeitarians who eat fish?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

AAAhmed46

What does the PETA say to veggeitarians who eat fish?

Post by AAAhmed46 »

....and on that, why is it that alot of people who won't eat meat will eat fish?

I can understand religious reasons.

As a muslim, i can only eat either halal meat or kosher meat blessed by a jew.

Otherwise i eat fish or vegatables when i cant get halal/kosher.

But im sure alot of vegaterians dont have the same reasoning.

So why do they eat fish but not other meat?

I mean the fish is justy as meaty and alive as the beef or pork or chicken they refuse to eat.

So why the fish?

And what is the PETA's position?

(The PETA *****)
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

People have different reasons for being vegitarian, some more sensible (to me) than others.

One good argument for eating fish and not other forms of meat is that fish aren't a part of the factory farming system. The factory farming system, while providing a lot of food cheaply does have some drawbacks. Ethically, I think it's reasonable to take issue with the way animals are treated (I.E. kept in cramped and generally miserable conditions). Practically, the overuse of antibiotics is a potentially significant issue. On the other hand, fish are subject to depopulation in the wild.

Other people eat fish because they perceive it as being more healthy. Fish has some nutriotnal advantages compared to many other meat prodcts (fatty acids, omega-3 etc). Then again, fish also are subject to contamination problems (mercury and pcbs).

I could easily be wrong, but I would expect t that PETA's position is that fish are sentient creatures with moral rights equal to a human's. I don't agree with PETA's basic assumption or their methods, but I think that if you start from those assumptions their position is usually consistant.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Vegitarians do not eat fish, if you eat fish then you are not a vegitarian. A fish is not a vegetable 8O .....if you are a vegitarian you cannot eat anything with a face.
As a vegetarian myself I really cannot stand folks who say they are vegitarian and eat fish :x ........ithey seem to want to wear the label and yet not abide by the rules, I know of folks who say they are vegitarian and yet eat chicken :lol: .........most vegitarians are very careful about what they eat because animal fat is put into so many things, or gelatine in sweets etc. :wink:

As for PETA we don't have them this side of the pond :lol: .........but I stopped being a member of the "Vegitarian Society" when it became a "Movement" :wink:
Topos

Jorvik

Post by Topos »

Your "if you are a vegitarian you cannot eat anything with a face."
tickled my irreverant Benny Hill humor bone.

Thus: No Casanovas among the PETA, crowd. What TONGUE TIED SOUR PUSSes they must be[grin]. Otherwise would they be accused of just PAYING LIP SERVICE to the PETA PRINCIPLE?

Then may I deduce that they will never run LAPS? OK, I promise to quit further inane punning - until next time of course!

Best week end to all.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

P-eople E-ating T-asty A-nimals :twisted:

I with Jorvik, either you are or you aren't, there is no middle ground in that debate.
IJ

Post by IJ »

Sure there's a middle ground in the debate. There may be people who decide what to eat on the basis of membership in the animal kingdom or not, but not everyone has to have rigid black and white thinking. What if worms are ok because they lack a face? Or bugs are ok despite the face because they're stupid? What if you just don't eat mammals? What if you decide not to eat things that are farmed? Or killed or treated in a certain way? Maybe I don't eat whale because they're smart and magnificent or maybe I do because it can be done sustainably. There are plenty of reasons why people would chose to have different dividing lines between what is acceptable for food or not.

People are welcome to eat kosher or halal food, and what is the logical rationale for that? Religion isn't about proof or logic, its about inarguable rules in a book. If those decisions are cool why can't one decide that the suffering of a dying cow outweighs that of a dying fish?
--Ian
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

People can eat what they like, that is not the issue. The issue is folks calling themselves "Vegetarians" when they clearly are not :roll:
The Vegetarian society coined the term and the definition.i.e. one who does not eat fish,fowl or meat. :D ....so if you want to eat these things go ahead but you are not a vegetarian.
IJ

Post by IJ »

I hear ya. And those are the terms I used when I was a vegetarian for 6 years. I avoided gelatin and everything, and ate milk and eggs. People who ate fish.... were people who ate fish. Fishatarians perhaps. On the other hand everyone has their own ideas about what a name means just as moderate and fundamentalist christians or muslims will argue about who has the true faith.
--Ian
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"On the other hand everyone has their own ideas about what a name means just as moderate and fundamentalist christians or muslims will argue about who has the true faith."

Well yeah :) but sometimes their ideas are just plain wrong :lol: .I don't make a big issue out of being vegetarian, but people who say they are when they are not really annoy me, and before the vegetarian society invented the label there wasn't a definition of vegitariansim per se.there were Hindus who were vegetarian. and many other folks who abstained from meat.but they didn't call themselves that......I am not a great spokesperson for vegetariansim :oops: .it's what I do.and I don't feel the need to justify it, endorse or promote it.I am in no way evangelistic in what I choose to eat :roll: ....as to the true faith :lol: .that gets even more absurd..as long as I live my life in what I believe is a good way then I'm cool with that...I think that I'm a liberterian now :lol: .and that means folks can eat what they like......but let's just agree on the definition........vegetarian means no animals ( also the root term comes from VEGA.which I think is Greek for good health or robustness, not from Vega for vegetables :lol: ........anyway back to my lentil curry and nut roast :wink:
Dale Houser

For fun and to learn more,

Post by Dale Houser »

I went to PETA's website http://www.peta.org/. Imagine that. You actually can read what a group believes in by looking for it on the web! OK, smart-alecness finished. :D

Politics aside, they are pro-vegetarian (no meat, no fish): http://goveg.com/index.aspx and against fish farming/pain: http://www.fishinghurts.com/FishFeelPain.asp, both are PETA sites.

I don't agree with them except on the factory farms. To me they are disgraceful. So I eat organic/free range meat and fish.

So what do you call someone who doesn't eat vegetables?
The martial arts begin and end with respect...
Jake Steinmann

Re: For fun and to learn more,

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Dale Houser wrote:
A predator? ;-)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dale Houser wrote:
Maverick!

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

Carnivores......with possibly a shorter life expectancy????

PS.....I about fell out of my seat, laughing when I read "if you are a vegitarian you cannot eat anything with a face."

That is just too funny!!!! Thank you, I needed that.

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, are cannibal actually omnivores? I would assume they eat vegetables to supplement their "people" diet......

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Willy

Post by Willy »

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”