Scary stupid

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Scary stupid

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Everyone should have the opportunity to meet up with an angry Pit Bull - on a short leash.

I remember once walking down a road, and seeing a Pit Bull lunging at me from the end of a chain. Being the martial artist and dog lover that I am (to a level of insanity sometimes...) I stopped to take a closer look. I stood within inches of the edge of the range of his leash the way a WB cartoon cat does to a nemesis dog. The dog kept snarling, barking, and lunging. At one point - just to "test" this system - I stomped towards him. Now 99.9% of dogs will flinch. Not this one... He never lost a breath. He kept snarling, drooling, and lunging.

Whoa!!! 8O I was impressed - in a scary kind of way.

Today someone sent me this e-mail. When I think about my experiences with both people and dogs, I think about this being the "zebra" of our experiences in life. We shouldn't dwell upon the fact that there are "scary stupid" animals AND humans out there. But we should remember that not everyone is going to yield to our favorite bag of martial tricks.

In this case, even Mother Nature had her hands full.
Somewhere there is a naked porcupine!

This pit bull decided he would attack a poor porcupine; but being brave
and stupid, he learned the hard way that you can't always win, no matter
how tough you are. The vet sedated the dog and removed
1,347 quills...the dog survived and hopefully learned some lessons.

1. There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity (pit bulls are
apparently pretty stupid).
2. Choose your fights wisely.
3. Don't mess with porcupines!
Sure, this poor dog had a bad day. But has anyone taken a gander at the porcupine? Were there any "winners" in this battle?

Ponder that for a bit... ;)

- Bill

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

In addition to admiring Nature being Nature, I am pondering what it took to get this poor animal under anesthesia and on the operating table.

Poor thing... :(

Poor vet! 8O :lol:

Treating this animal would have been an act worthy of a "case history" publication.

- Bill
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Ye-OUCH!!!

See...some times it is better to walk away... :D
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bill Glasheen wrote: Poor vet! 8O :lol:

Treating this animal would have been an act worthy of a "case history" publication.

- Bill
Poor assistant who had to count 1,347 quills! 8O
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The number of quills on each porcupine may exceed 30,000.
- Porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum)

Hmm... Could be the porcupine won! :wink:

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

The poor dog was obviously jumped by a pack of ghetto porcupine .... :twisted:

and you demean the victim by claiming hes stupid ? :lol:

I ask you this , how stupid would you be to suffer such an assault and not continue to fight and ensure victory ?

I say he had nothing to loose !!!! chalk one up for self defence !! and the mental constitution to fight on regardless !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PS I have hit one of these beasts full force in the head , they arent to bright but you can stun them ... though luck is required .....
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

There are so many definitions for the word(s) "pit bull", I don't know what a pit bull is, but I do know that the ones I have known have been heroic in the most extreme sense of the word, and have also been extremely loving, in a very rough sense of the word. :lol:

Very tough and resolute dogs. :lol:

Very playful, and if they want to (for instance) rip your shoe off your foot, and play tug of war with it, they will probably win. :lol:

I have never come across another breed that would hold onto the end of a rope while I spun around and lifted them one or two feet off the ground. :lol:

I once knew a dog named Roxanne that would literally fly through the air, holding onto the end of a rope while I spun around and around. :lol:

Roxanne would fly, as long as I could keep spinning, and she would growl the whole time, while her eyes shone with joy. :D
Topos

Stryke

Post by Topos »

"The poor dog was obviously jumped by a pack of ghetto porcupine .... "

Oh my gosh! I thank you for your side splitting wit. I just woke up 'slim, dumb, and stupid' [grin] and to read this first thing this morning I just burst out laughing.

Gratitude for the mental equivalent of my first cup of hot espresso. I cherish great humor.
chef

Post by chef »

Same here. I laughed so hard when I read that. Marcus, you are a gem. You're not only witty, but sharp of mind and with a 'die hard' karate spirit. What tenacity you have to do your Uechi so far away from a dojo. We are such weenies, me included, when I complain about not having other Uechi people to work out with. You set the pace, my friend.

.....so when will we eventually have the pleasure of your company, buddy?

We want you at camp!!!! Come and play one of these times.

Thanks for being you,

Regards,
Vicki

PS Talk about loving Pit Bulls. Have you ever met George and Susan's dog, Tia. What a sweet and loving Pit Bull she is.
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Marcus you made me spew coffee all over my computer screen - warn us the next time please!! :D

The pit bull is only a victim if we make him one!!! 8)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

fivedragons wrote:
There are so many definitions for the word(s) "pit bull", I don't know what a pit bull is
There are standards.

AKC recongizes the Amercian Stafforshire Terrier. United Kennel Club recongizes the American Pit Bull Terrier. UKC suggests the Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Terrier are one and the same, but AKC officials don't agree.

Some folks have their dogs dual-registered in both AKC and UKC.

American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Standard

The schism had to do with the original use of the breed. The original bull terrier was used for "bull baiting." Allegedly the practice of harassing, attacking, and wearing down a bull until it dropped from exhaustion served to tenderize the meat. The spectacle was also a form of entertainment similar to cock fighting. In 1835 the British Parliament outlawed bull baiting.

From that point, other groups developed a breed for dog fighting. "Bull and Terrier" dogs came to Boston via Irish immigrants in the early 1800s as all-around farm dogs and frontier guardians. Ultimately the United Kennel Club recognized the American Pit Bull Terrier in 1898.

UKC shunned the breed for years because of its bloody past. Ultimately in 1936 a line of dogs was recognized under the alias American Staffordshire Terrier after the miners of Staffordshire, England who had developed dogs for the fighting pit.

The UKC-recognized American Pit Bull Terrier has a distinctly American identity.

Nipper

Buster Brown and Tige

American neutrality without fear before WWI

Stubby during WWI

- Bill
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

I found this crazy picture on google. 8O

fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

I can't find a picture that resembles Roxanne, she's one of a kind, but imagine the one on the right with gold and black stripes. :D

jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Well they do say "big dog, little dick" :lol: ..I'm off to walk the chihuahuas :wink:

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”