Full sleeve tattoo

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

3conflicts

Full sleeve tattoo

Post by 3conflicts »

Hi everyone, I was pondering recently on whether or not I should get a full sleeve tattoo. I think it would be really cool to have a piece of myself dedicated to Uechi Ryu and martial arts in general. But I have some qualms about whether or not its a good idea to have a tattoo like that. I mean I hear that tattoos fade and get disfigured as you age, and the idea of defaceing my arm for the rest of my days is also a big decision to make. However, I also think that dedicateing it to something as meanigful and influential af martial arts is an admerable thing to do. Just hope some people on the forums could give me a little insight on the subject, or even tattoos in genral.

:) ~thank you
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

If you're younger than around 30, don't get any tattoos that big. If you're younger than about 20, don't get any at all.

Edit: And Jolie sits next to my anti-tattoo opinion, all covered in them. :) But then she has the money to get rid of them occasionally.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

If your unsure dont get them

personally dont think its smart to get anything that cant be concealed untill youve had a few , and are , sure

better to get a peice you can expand than go for a full sleeve straight away , it`s a lot of ink .

If your worrying about fading and asthetics and age , then you shouldnt have it , it will do all of those things, it has to be about more than looks , it is part of you , you cant discard like your body , love it even when its old wrinkly and ugly .

and tattoos mean different things to different cultures , being Uechi specific , i`m not sure how that would be received in certain circles , but maybe someone else would know ?

have known of a few Yakuza types in Shotokan circles though .

I`d recomend clear simple and meaningfull , but ultimately is a personal choice/journey , I`m far form heavily tattooed , but have no regrets

but generally i think they look stupid predominantly and are often just tough stickers for loosers .

however mine have personal meaning , and I`m sure look jst as stupid to others :lol: :lol: :lol:

just ask yourself if theres a hurry ? , and be sure .

or just do it and and have a blast , and enjoy the needle .
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Just remember that where your head is today will be different from where it is 20 to 30 years from now when you have teenage kids. Your life changes. Your priorities change. Your opportunities change. Tattoos are permanent unless you have a lot of money.

Also remember that whatever you think is cool will be perceived as totally uncool when you have adolescents. Every generation wants to make a new mark, and that necessarily means it's different than what the previous generation is doing.

I was just having a discussion yesterday with my wife about "pretenders" in sports. We have a son who insists we buy the most expensive of any and everything before he goes into a sport so he can be decked out when hitting the field. Then maybe he gets into it, and maybe not. Meanwhile... The people who are truly dedicated to their sport or activity recognize the "pretender" on the playing field. They have the latest of everything, but... Did they put the time in? Are they still there after a few bumps in the road? And there WILL be bumps in the road. There WILL be many reasons and excuses to fold, quit, do poorly, etc.

A tattoo is a personal expression. But your karate is in your heart. You and the rest of the world will know what it really means to you - over time.

Take care, and enjoy your choices in life.

Bill
Dale Houser

Post by Dale Houser »

Is this the only way to dedicate yourself to your karate? Your training should suffice. But if you're bent on doing something, make a charitable donation in the name of Uechi-ryu or just get the uechi-ryu kanji symbol or okinawa symbol tatooed on your arm.
The martial arts begin and end with respect...
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Go for it! I am currently working on my second sleeve so I may not be the most objective of people. I stuck with classical japanese art work and some inspirational kanji in the mix, buddhist mantra and symbols as well.Image and Image and Image
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

My wife is working on a partial leg sleeve.
Just be prepared for a lot of time under the needle and days and nights of some serious discomfort especially when you get large sections done.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That's some nice art work.

Bill
3conflicts

Post by 3conflicts »

thanks for the input everbody. I don't think I'll be getting any ink done for a while but I'm really glad I have some outside advice on the subject now.

PS. Those are all really sick tattoos Chris H
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

3conflicts wrote:
Those are all really sick tattoos Chris H
I presume you meant to say "slick." ;)

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

"sick" is

Post by gmattson »

the latest "kid talk" meaning "Neat!"

I first heard the word used as a compliment on a Motorcycle-build program involving a beefy tattooed Biker and his two sons. Everything they designed and built that was "far out" is now "sick"! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

Translation for Old Man Bill: "It's the cat's pajamas."

:wink:

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”