George's New Book

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

George's New Book

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I just got my numbered, autographed copy of George Mattson's The Way of Uechi-Ryu Karate. Here are my general comments.

First... This is a very big book - almost coffee table book size. The photographs of many (including Uechi Kanei) are much better than in other books except Mr. Uechi's own dictionary-size Kyohon. It is also beautiful.

Second... I'm almost afraid to read my copy. Several of my Uechi books now (Master Uechi's Kyohon, George's first yellow edition of Uechi-Ryu Karate-do) are collectors items. Master Uechi's book could serve as a down payment on a very nice luxury car. If you happen to get one of the numbered and signed copies, I suggest you put it aside and get another "throw around" copy. But that's me.

Third... It is expensive. But IMO it's worth it.

Fourth... Nobody will every accuse George of being a master of the Japanese language. There are more than a few bastardized spellings of Japanese words in the book. It grates on me because I worked so hard in my Japanese language training and in particular the correct spelling and pronunciation of all things Uechi. Sorry, George, but I have to have SOMETHING negative to say. ;)

If you want a book with almost no mistakes on Japanese names of Uechi kata and exercises, buy Alan Dollar's book. It took me 2 years to find the first mistake in it. (I believe it has two.) No biggie though... Alan's book is good on all things Alan/Kenyukai, and George's is all George.

Fifth... Actually there's another minor problem with George's book. It has several fairly large pictures of me in it. I do apologize. You might increase the value of the book by hiding those pages. ;)

Sixth... This is a wonderful legacy piece for George. There are many, many personal photographs, and a detailed history of George's journey from young lad to martial master. God I wish I could do something this nice.

And finally....

There are now several existing translations of the text portion of Master Uechi's kyohon. George got a copy of one (by David Smith I believe) and put several Uechi-relevant sections in his book. This alone is worth the price of the book.

I highly recommend this book. If you are a collector, this is a must-have - particularly the first limited printing.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

And where the hell is my copy, George? All bought and paid for :lol:
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Not to make my good friend Van look bad.... ;)

I got a first copy because I came to Winterfest. That's when it was officially released. I took two home with me on the plane for two of my teachers.

The rest are coming - in plastic shrink wrap. I assure you folks who pre-ordered that you will not be disappointed. George has outdone himself.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Could care less about 'looking bad' Bill :)

But I am glad about your review of the book...I knew it would be something exceptional, especially in documenting the early pioneering days of Uechi Ryu in America...

It will become a classic in a short time.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't put the thing down, Van. It's difficult to put in words. You and I have lived through many of the years covered in this book, or are at least familiar with the early days. And now that both the history and the prevalent martial thinking is down in print (complete with stunning visual detail), it makes you reflect in ways that no other work to date does.

You are right; it will be a classic.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words guys. . .

Post by gmattson »

No doubt about it, the book is very different from your typical martial art offerings. All the 'old timers' will find their pictures in the book, but I doubt if many will recognize themselves. :)

Sue is working on FedExing the books out this week.

Processing the orders will take over one week, so please be patient.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
chef

Post by chef »

I am holding my new grandson as I type (first day watching him so my daughter can finish her last class and last semester at UVa)...so Bill, you have been kicking this idea around for years, and it's time for your big contribution to Uechi.

When the heck are you going to start writing a Uechi book. You are way overdue, my Sensei.

You have an amazing body of knowledge that needs to put in print. I will keep bugging the crap out of you until you do this, you know.

Time to put the baby down for a nap and quit typing with one hand.

Later,
Vicki

PS A huge CONGRATS on your book, George! Love ya, Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

chef wrote:

When the heck are you going to start writing a Uechi book. You are way overdue, my Sensei.
My students know I give them free reign to shame me into doing the right thing. ;)

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

...not that you haven't already contributed much, for the record.

Just wanted to qualify that,
Chef
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I trained you better than that, Vicki. Keep taking those shots. It's why I get up in the morning.

- Bill
cdoucet

Post by cdoucet »

Looking forward to receiving the book. :D (hurry up fedex) 8O

I still read through the red book that I purchased when I was in Burlingting MASS back in '06!
PreyingMantis

Thank you :)

Post by PreyingMantis »

Thank you George and Family for saving me a copy for purchase. This is a real honor to have in my possession and will be forever charished. I am a picture book reader so naturally I have been speed reading while viewing all the nice photography. However, in between my schooling, working, and parenting I plan to read a few pages a night to my child :)

Get them started early I say.
Love the Gracefully Arrogant-Mary Ann
gmattson
Site Admin

First shipment of books

Post by gmattson »

going out tomorrow (Thursday, March 4th)

GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Until those Japanese words end up in Websters or the Oxford I don't think sensei George can be criticized for the spelling.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

8O That is a big book :!:

Imagine picking it off your coffee table, during a home invasion, and braining someone with it?

A great improvised weapon for sure. 8)

you can also hold it over your head and perform 'jumping squats' with it...like we used to do in in my Infantry unit with a Garand in a 'press up' position. :P
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”