Karate Gi

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

emattson

Karate Gi

Post by emattson »

Occasionally I see students walking outside their Kung-Fu classes still wearing their gi; I wonder about the code of ethics concerning wearing gi while in public. I know they were originally designed as uniform so the wealthy and the impoverished will all look alike, giving a sense of unity.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Glenn

Re: Karate Gi

Post by Glenn »

I have never heard 'sense of unity' as a reason for the development of the gi before, and I think what they trained in before adopting the gi would have accomplished that as well! :D

My understanding is that Kano simply applied a heavier material (canvas) to a small-kimono jacket and pant design common at the time to create a training outfit that was durable for judo grips and protective enough for throws to the hard ground and floors they trained on. Training barefoot likewise originated in Japanese and Okinawan martial arts because training in the wooden geta was impractical. These practices simply represent what was practical at that time. Then when karate was diffusing from Okinawa to mainland Japan in the 1920s and 30s the gi is adopted by the Okinawans so as to fit in and be accepted by Japanese martial artists and authorities as much as anything else, likely with Kano's encouragement. "When in Rome" after all.

I personally think the time of the gi has long since passed, it should just be a history-book and museum curiosity by now in my opinion. There are more practical and comfortable, not to mention less expensive, options in the 2020s. And training in footwear would help prevent injuries to the feet. There are plenty of martial art styles around the world using 21st century attire rather than 19th century, Krav Maga (link) and Savate (picture) for example. https://www.kravmaga.com/krav-maga-trai ... -to-train/

As to wearing the gi in public to or from a class, I do not see that as an ethical issue but it may attract unwanted attention/trouble. It may also be unavoidable. I change into my gi pants at home if I am not going into anywhere else before or after class, then I put the jacket and belt on at the dojo. I have been doing that ever since my first class in the 1980s, which was taught in a community center that did not really have any place in which to change, even the sensei showed up with gi pants already on. Likewise, another karate class I attended for several years was taught in a college classroom with similar limitations. The students you see in public may train in settings similar to these.
Glenn
emattson

Re: Karate Gi

Post by emattson »

Nice information. Boston can be conservative; students wear gi in many academies. Students in some may wear T shirts with the academy's logo printed. I prefer the T shirt--easier to clean and cheaper. Also, the bulky gi may hide poor posture or arm position. T-shirts became popular by 1913 when it became standard issue in the US Navy's uniform.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”