Leaving China

The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi magazine articles

Moderator: Bill Bauknecht

Seizan

Leaving China

Post by Seizan »

Good morning Folks,

Somewhere I once read a supposed date (month, at least) in 1910 when Kanbun Sensei left China and returned to Okinawa. Does anyone know that date or month? Also, a reliable source reference would help a lot...

One source indicates June 1910 (according to this source, Kanbun was married 3 months after his return from China, and his son Kanei was born 9 months later in June 1911, so June 1910 is a possibility).

Another source indicated March 1910.

Seizan
emattson

Re: Leaving China

Post by emattson »

Can't verify the source reliability, but I found that Kanbun returned to Okinawa in February 1910. Book source: Breyette (pg. 3). Sole web source:
http://www.womenskaratetour.org/History2.htm

Kanbun's son, Kanei, was born on 26 June 1911.
https://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?t=22936
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Good morning, Erik,

The history referred to in the Woman's Tour information, written by me during the early and mid 1990's, draws from popular sources and Uechi Folktales of the day which most often went unquestioned. However, it gained the approval of the authority figures of that time and I was encouraged to share it with visitors to Okinawa. I must have shared 30 or 40 copies over a 5-year period. Now, I wish it would just go away...

While it reads well and a lot of people seem to like it, I have since found that it (the "history" I wrote) is full of holes, unanswered questions, and spurious information.

I tend to disregard almost everything I wrote of UechiRyu history prior to 1998. What I've more recently published is based on reliable resources (i.e., Japanese Government documentation, eyewitness accounts, on-the-spot newspaper reports, Fuzhou Historical Society accounts, more accurate and reliable translations, etc.).

Though I admit it was a good morning chuckle to find I was referred to myself as a resource for information I was looking for...!

:D
emattson

Post by emattson »

Funny, I found another source saying he was married at May 1910.
https://www.kesslerkarate.com/uechi_ryu ... story.html
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

According to Robert Garone's English translation of The Untold Story of Kanbun Uechi by Keisuke Fujimoto, "After 13 years abroad, Kanbun Uechi...set foot in his hometown after returning to Naha harbor in 1909" (p.52). The source cited for this information is the 1977 Uechi Kyohan (referred to as "Comprehensive Okinawan Karate-Its History and Techniques").
Glenn

Return to “Kanbun Uechi”