Cult-like martial arts organizations

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I am going to start a thread with some e-mail sent to me on this subject. Feel free to participate. I assume Lisa will be online.

Bill

LISA WROTE:

Dear fellow martial artists,

I'm concerned about a martial arts organisation I last trained with over a year ago which was being run like a cult instead of a sports organisation. I wondered if anyone else had come across similar groups.

I have studied six styles of martial arts in London and the Southeast of Great Britain, and no others displayed the same types of behaviour. I wondered if perhaps I had only recognised the signs because I have also spent time researching splinter religions and cults.

These 'symptoms' of cult behaviour are: Taking an individual away from their
family and social life; using up all their spare time and money; introducing
techniques using hypnosis or without proper physical preparation which could result in injury; belittling and debunking students and teachers of other styles while basing their own style on techniques taken from them; takeover bids to classes teaching other styles to expand the organisation; over-emphasis on fawning, grovelling, (call it what you like) being treated as general dogsbody to the organisation leader which was not linked to normal dojo respect. For example, when he hadn't packed in time to catch a plane after a training tour, dragging trainees into his room to pick up and pack his and his wife's underwear and toiletries. Amusing, but also an abuse of position.

Gradings had no form or discipline and it was joked that you could get one if you brought enough doughnuts for the Sensei. Demonstrations arranged for an evening at a sports centre resulted in the inner circle clique of black and brown belts being called in to a last-minute meeting at the centre which went on for two hours where they argued, smoked some pot, and then cancelled and went home. It boasted of having no professional or sporting application, and focused on killing techniques and mass rioting or affray. Like religious cults, they showed great interest in new recruits until they had paid their
membership and were 'in' - after that, you were simply a number while more recruits were scavenged from other classes or brought in as friends and relatives.

My personal experience was from a Ninjutsu class which was then taken over by this organisation. When on a training course abroad, I got pregnant by one of the brown belts, who offered to pay for an abortion I hadn't asked for. I kept the baby, and since being two months pregnant heard from neither the baby's father or the rest of the organisation. They closed ranks on me completely - which was even more difficult because some of them were co-workers of mine who had talked me into joining their club a year earlier after finding out that I had studied martial arts before. Nobody would tell me if there was a class or wanted to teach me, although I had access to many reports on training during pregnancy. I admit I expected very little in terms of support or interest, but not total alienation. Some of the class members I had been very good friends with and the kind of mass disacknowledgement I experienced was very hurtful. I was not sorry to be out of the organisation but sorry to lose the friends I had, which in essence it what a cult does - you can't associate with members if you aren't one.

Now I have a nine-month-old baby and I am considering going back to train somewhere else, but the experience has put me off just a bit. I'm 27 and first trained in Judo aged 13, where in contrast everything was healthy and normal - what concerns me is whether this way of running a dojo or organisation is a new phenomenon and considered to be valid, in which the definition between sport and cult has been entirely lost, or if it's not,
why some sort of martial arts governing body hasn't opened or investigated?

This problem has concerned me since I first got pregnant, which was about six weeks after the initial takeover of our dojo, and I haven't spoken of it until now as I was worried that whatever I said would be dismissed as symptomatic of raging hormones! Image Seriously though - I would like to hear from anyone with similar experiences, and if anyone wants further
information on the organisation involved please E-mail me.

Take care,
Lisa
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

GEORGE MATTSON WROTE:

Lisa:
Sorry to learn of your bad experiences with what sounds like a "dojo from Hell!" I'll request that Bill Glasheen post your letter on his "Dojo Roundtable" forum. Please check in to hear what some of the most senior and most respected martial art teachers and students have to say. I've written about this problem in the past. Generally students who have been abused by a cult, find it very difficult to talk about it or to take action against such criminal actions.

Please read our Code of Conduct and Ethics in the NAC Charter section of the Uechi web. Our organization take these matters very seriously.

Regards,
George E. Mattson
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

LISA WROTE:

Mr. Mattson:

Thank you for your quick response! I was very relieved to hear that someone else shared my views on this abuse of students and the martial arts system. I have read your Code of Conduct & Ethics site with interest and feel that as well as the organisation I trained with appearing to run on almost the exact opposites in every respect, you have included some important points particularly surrounding the transport and training of minors which I have not come across before. It was very well considered and I'm sure a lot of clubs in the UK would benefit from taking note of these.

I look forward to reading the responses at the Dojo Roundtable, and I hope other students who have similar sufferings are encouraged to speak up and do something about it.

Sincerely,
Lisa
david

Post by david »

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate your sharing of it. What you described doesn't happen a lot, but it happens I think more than people think or care to admit. Right now, there is a "cult alert" about a Bujukan school in Denver. The main group is trying to deal with the issue by providing alternative classes to the folks there... I have heard of two possible "cult like" schools in the Boston area as well by former students. These traps are out there.

It's a tricky business, this practice. On one hand, you want to enter with an "empty cup". On the other, you need to maintain some level of caution and to keep your eyes open. What you described as "cult like" is right on. And anybody encountering that in a dojo should just walk away...

You showed strength and spirit in doing what you needed. Best wishes on your journey.

david
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Lisa:

Breaking from any cult takes bravery and a remarkable level of autonomy. However, this is just a beginning. It sounds like you were pretty involved.

I strongly urge you to consider, if you haven't already, checking in with a professional therapist who specializes in the ramification of post cult intervention. You may indeed find you share some elements that are common among cult survivors - post traumatic stress syndrome, depression and other understandable dynamics that could be difficult to tackle alone or unaware and leaving you wondering "What is my problem here?"

If you are interested and have difficulty finding help, I can refer you to a counseling and rehab center that has worldwide contacts and might help you a great deal with books and information about the recovery process. There are self help groups in addition to professionals who might assist you in finding your way through the maze of getting reestablished.

I wish you well and may you find a plain old dojo to sweat and work out in!

JohnC

email: gojohn5@yahoo.com
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Dear Contributors:

There are two definitions of 'cult' - one, having 'cult following', meaning popularity not linked to promotion or advertising, fashion or fad; and two, 'cult' describing a small band of lunatics psychotically intent on world domination (in a nutshell) ImageThe logic of a cult is to claim that their truth is the ONLY truth, and all others will soon fall by the wayside, if they don't sign on the dotted line and join up first, of course.

Wearing the trousers and being called 'sir' starts to cause problems when the wearer insists on similar treatment in the home and by his family and co-workers instead of leaving it in the dojo.

Cults tend to take a person with a glimmer of individuality and tell them 'Yes, you are just like us', which then negates any identity you develop as it is part of their 'group identity'. One member of this group told me that within a week of meeting me for the first time that he knew me better than anyone else, which was jumping the gun to say the least - luckily I was aware enough to realise that there were certain people around who for example had given birth to me, educated or employed me, and possibly even delivered my mail who knew me better than he did! He went as far to say later that he was looking for my emotional weak spot, a 'chink in the armour'.

I'm not currently suffering any serious post-traumatic stress that I know of, except for that related to science subject assignments in my degree studies! And having a baby puts a lot of things into perspective - post-natal stress possibly...

The comments so far have been interesting and encouraging - thanks for taking the time to join in the discussion.

Lisa
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Lisa:

Sounds like you are not only surviving, but prevailing!

JohnC
student

Post by student »

Lisa:

Congratulations on maintaining sanity, humor (all right, humour!), proportion and dignity.

Your post point out an issue perculiarly female: having an ex-lover and father of your child in the cult. For some reason we have comparitively few female posters in these Forums altogether and fewer still in these general ones. May I have the temerity to suggest you also post this in Lori-San's Woman And The Martial Arts Forum so as to have a better chance of getting the double-x chromosone types' opinions?

Normally I discourage multiple posts, but this seems justified to me.

student

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”