Foam Nunchuck, Deadly Weapon

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Brian Barry

Post by Brian Barry »

Now this is frustrating.
Somehow the authorities at my college have discovered the fact that I have, in my possession, a foam-covered nunchuck. So I get a call from one of the deans asking me to bring both the nunchuck and any other weapons I may have down to his office. (Now the dean is a cool guy so don't think I'm upset with him or anything, I'm just a little frustrated with the entire situation) He decides that my foam nunchucks and my escrima are dangerous and that I can not have them in my possession while in the college. So now they are in... "protective custody" and won't be given back to me until I go home for break.
Gun control is one thing, but this is so much worse than that. A student can no longer have a padded nunchuck to practice with in America's colleges. Or a stick.

I am reminded of the situation of the peasants, who, not allowed swords, developed the martial arts from weapons like the bits in horses mouths (from which come nunchucks) and of course used their own hands as weapons. I guess I need to find natural objects around me that are legal and start training with them. I'm already working on turning my keychain and lanyard into a flailing weapon (with keys on two ends) and will have to develop some other stuff too.
Perhaps the school's underground newspaper will get a letter from the Oppressed Peasants Society and maybe I should begin training in secret... seriously, though, just think about the similarities to feudal China and Japan... not that far off.

--Brian
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Hi Brian,

While I can empathize with your predicament, you must check your state's laws regarding which weapons are banned.

If nunchucks are on that list, your local Dean is well within his power to confiscate them. And unless that particular law grants an exemption to padded 'chucks, or to martial artists on the way to class, then you're probably out of luck. Your escrima sticks, well, that may be a different matter. But your college may have a student policy against the carrying of "dangerous weapons" on campus. Check the student handbook, or ask the Dean outright whast the policy is.

Weren't nunchucks originally a brit and bridle for a horse?

Gene
Brian Barry

Post by Brian Barry »

Gene,
Our handbook does have a weapons policy, but there is no definition of what kind of weapons fall under it. I knew about the policy but was just surprized that they considered something so harmless a weapon... in one of the most conservative, unPC colleges in the country. He's well within his rights, that was never the issue. Its just a frustrating set of rules.

By the way, if anyone has ideas for the the new "Weapons of American Kobudo", speak up. This could be fun.
Norm Abrahamson

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

Dear Brian,

Among the weapons for American Kobudo:

Heavy key chain;
Bottle opener;
Dental floss;
Toothbrush (manual);
Shaving cream can;
Bic pen;
Ratchet handle;
Jumper cables.

You could cause some serious hurt with any of that stuff.

Norm Abrahamson

Post by Guest »

I always thought folks in academia were too liberal. One attends these institutions to get a little mental exercise and hopefully a few years down the road have entry level skills to enter the workforce in there chosen field of endeavor.

Kind of surprised to hear your Dean has taken your property. He may be a cool guy but he still has no right.

I'm of the mind that once we turn our back to oppression we get ****ed. Once you turn away it gets easier to back down; in fact it becomes a habit. This is the sheeping of America, first they take a training aid, they it's your rights. What's next, no one can practice Uechi on campus?

Personally I'd speak out. I would also charge the Dean with theft. I'd invite the local media to a demo. I would tell them of the oppressive ruling and the stolen property. You pay tuition to learn not to have your freedom stomped on.

I would demonstrate some foam nunchucks, explaining the history of kubudo. I would then demonstrate how to use a pen as a pocket stick. Controlled striking with the pen to the temple, eyes, throat, and groin, point out that every student and even the Dean are known to carry these potentially lethal weapons. Do the same demo again with cutlery from the campus eatery. Next show what can be done with a broom.

Finally land a couple of shots on a training partner or your self with your foam weapons of death.

Public opinion might take a few media events but I suspect that the embarrassment cause by the first article in the local paper might be enough to have the seizure reversed.

Many folks don't have a problem being dictatorial but these same folks quickly see the problem when they realize over their morning cup of Java that the whole community is laughing at them.

Laird
s f b

Post by s f b »

I always thought folks in academia were too liberal.

Only liberal for what THEY want, Laird.

The chucks may have to go because of the stigma they carry [as well as the legality if it applies to foam chucks], but the Escrima Stick removal is a little much. Barrry, get a set of drumsticks id you want to practice weapons and see if he wants to take those away as well. It may be he is really NOT in command and someone who complained did so to those who are...
<font color=red>
------------------
Allen Moulton at Uechi-ryu Etcetera loves email at <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ixpres.com">uechi@ixpres.com</A></font>

Oh, I forgot. It sounds like you're in the second grade or something. What is this sh!t???

[This message has been edited by s f b (edited October 29, 2002).]
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

My daughters 8+11 proudly carry their foam chucks to and from class on the sidewalk.
I had to tell my oldest to stop spinning them when I changed her to all wood.
The police see them all the time and don't do anything, that would be ridiculous, if I was smashing someone with them, different story.
The schools have totally flipped in my opinion, peanut butter sandwiches are now weapons of mass destruction. Halloween parties no longer exist, they have become harvest fairs. Christmas carols are no longer sung at "Holiday Celebrations".
I better stop now before I start quoting lyrics from Pink Floyd The Wall.
Good luck Brian, don't let them brainwash you too bad, but it will all wash out 2 weeks after graduation.
Gene,
I've heard the horse and bridle story for nunchucks, as far as I'm concerned Bruce Lee invented them, if not for him they wouldn't be known of and probably legal.
f.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
The police see them all the time and don't do anything, that would be ridiculous,
So, cops stopping kids carrying weapons is ridiculous?

What happens when these non-ridiculous kids then turn around and do smash something, or flog someone?

NOTE: I'm not calling Fred's kids ridiculous. Fred, however, is completely off-the-wall Image

Gene

[This message has been edited by Gene DeMambro (edited October 29, 2002).]
s f b

Post by s f b »

I thought chucks were outlawed in the Commonwealth, Gene, Fred??

------------------
Allen Moulton at Uechi-ryu Etcetera loves email at <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ixpres.com">uechi@ixpres.com</A>
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Gene,
A young child doesn't even comprehend the destructive power of the nunchuck.
It does however teach coordination and dexterity. There were lots of kids at Raffi's tournament with chucks and we all got out safe.
I've had them since I was 15 and I have yet to use them, but I did take out some of my moms china once.
f.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

When I was 13 we used to go to the range and shoot 22 caliber rifles in Boy Scouts.
Bet that's a thing of the past.
My father in law ran away from home at 12 and brought his rifle on the bus with him.
Hw made it from Quincy to Plymouth before he got homesick and went back home.

Can you imagine that happening today?

He survived 3 years on the front line in Korea and escaped being a prisoner of war twice. His dad showed him how to use that rifle.
f.
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

From "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" by Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith, p. 64.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

The nunchaku...originated as a southeast Asian agricultural flail. ...the art of the nunchaku owes its technical excellence almost entirely to Okinawan endeavors.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Ted,
I don't know if we'll ever know for sure the origin of the nunchuck.
But pounding the flour out of wheat takes a lot longer handle unless you want to kneel all day. I've seen this done at living history shows and they use a long handle, so they can stand up and get their body into it.
But the nunchuck could have evolved from these after the handle was broken.
f.
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Maybe nunchaku and nunchuck are different? Image

Seriously, Mssrs. Draeger and Smith are pretty much the definitive word, given the lifetime of research behind their many, many, well-referenced writings. These guys did alot of first-hand research.

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke
2Green

Post by 2Green »

f.channel:
When I was in high school (1965) we had a firing range IN THE HIGH SCHOOL!
All Cadets were REQUIRED to do target practice every Thursday after school, in the school!
We used Canadian FN's re-bored for .22 longs, single shot with a peep sight.
And guess what: I'm not a serial killer!
What went right?
Yes: times HAVE changed. NM

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”