defense classes ,what to add?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

hoshin

defense classes ,what to add?

Post by hoshin »

here is a question for the ladies, as men we make certain assumtions as to what is important. however in a personal defense class (say 3 classes one hour apiece) what information, drills, concepts,ect....would women like to see in a program like this. also what would make you (as a non MA) participate. what would turn you off.

hoshin
~~~~~
Corey L. Minatani

Post by Corey L. Minatani »

Male here. My wife likes sticks and knives! Hey, training in MA takes time to perfect the skills, timing, and execution. Knife training only takes the time to grip the knife and what juicy targets to hit. Stick training provides distance and availability (e.g cane, or walking stick, or tactical baton). Weapon deployment would take maybe twenty minutes, the rest can be had on targeting. Weapon training can be focused full contact on trees, old tires, etc whereas, three hours one couldn't really learn a whole bunch of techniques and keep them all straight and be able to pull them off.
Corey Minatani
WRCMA
www.wrcma.org
LeeDarrow

Re: defense classes ,what to add?

Post by LeeDarrow »

hoshin wrote:here is a question for the ladies, as men we make certain assumtions as to what is important. however in a personal defense class (say 3 classes one hour apiece) what information, drills, concepts,ect....would women like to see in a program like this. also what would make you (as a non MA) participate. what would turn you off.

hoshin
~~~~~
A few suggestions, taken from my own teaching days, back in the Jurassic Period...

Escape training from the most common date rape situations would probably be a great idea. As Dana-Sensei noted in another thread, this is more important and common than the poolcue weilding attacker in a bar.

I would also advocate training in biting. Yep! You heard me - biting. It HURTS, leaves an easily recognizable mark and can do considerable damage.

Modern kobudo (there's that term again! My hobby horse is getting tired of being ridden so hard). What's in YOUR purse? How can you use it in a situation? What else is readily at hand?

Situational awareness training. How to use terrain to one's advantage. Interposing a stream of vehicular traffic between yourself and your attacker, forcing him to attack uphill, using small trees as blocking enhancements and the like can all be very useful.

The Art of The Thrown Object. When in doubt, chuck something at him. If nothing else, it can throw off his attack, disrupt his posture and help keep him at a distance. Mumblety Foot (a cunning knife move) is also a good idea to learn.

Perfume, the OTHER mace. ;) Cheap perfume sprayed on an attacker will help identify him AND cause problems for him at home.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
Frank DiMeo

simplicity

Post by Frank DiMeo »

Dana--
Thanks for the excellent forum!
I was thinking of the Corey's comments about keeping the number of techniques down. I wholeheartedly agree.
Amassing a huge number of techniques may end up reducing a person's effectiveness. A few extremely reliable techniques that have "stopping power" would be my personal choice. Increased situational awareness and an aggressive strategy would seem to make more sense than a lot extra baggage.
I found Darren Laur's article, "Street 101" very helpful. Also, Tony Blauer's "How To Beat A Grappler" video is excellent.
Keep up the good work!
Frank
Sarasota, FL
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Frank!

I'm all about simple for self-defense. I like the FAST defense idea of having a basic standing class and a basic ground class. The basic standing class teaches you five techniques The basic ground class adds about five or six more while reinforcing the first five. Both classes are about four hours longs. Both included elements of verbal self defense and boundary setting skills.

Noone has yet done a longitudinal study to find out what format of self-defense class is most effective for certain populations. I have no idea who would fund such a venture. Though I think the information, if the study is properly designed, could be priceless.

"Self-defense" classes also bring up the harsh reality that the ability to protect yourself against a determined assailant is outside of everyone's comfort zone. Some instructors keep everything at a feel good level that creates a huge false sense of security.

Frank - in Tony's video did you feel that the skills he showed would work for someone who is working against someone much larger than themselves? Sometimes men forget that just having a big guy lying on top of a smaller woman can keep her immobile and on the edge of suffocation...
Frank DiMeo

much larger opponents

Post by Frank DiMeo »

Hi Dana--
You've brought up a real good point. I do believe Tony's strategies are very workable for smaller people.
I am only 5'7" and 155 lbs. so I can relate to that point of view.
The reason I am studying Tony Blauer's videos is that they
show me how to maximize my effectiveness.
This video, "How To Bat A Grappler", is exceptionally good.
His strategies for not going to the ground in the first place are excellent; however, he does cover very well how to best get back up if you are knocked down. His no-nonsense/no-mercy approach make it perfect for a small person such as myself.
The last time I fought someone on the street, it did go to a ground fight even though I did hurt the guy with a strong right punch head as he rushed me. If I had not prevented his choke on me and went for his eyes right away he would have beat me. He was an ex-convict and he was tough.
Tony's videos are right on the money.
Thanks again for you insights.
Frank
Sarasota, FL

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”