Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Post by Van Canna »

This was taken at the Mattson academy when Bruce visited the dojo.

He asked to spar with a volunteer and Maloney stepped forward...you see him on the left.

Maloney's fighting speed in those days was phenomenal.

Bruce only weighed 127 lbs back then. He had a hard time against Jim who would charge him behind a wauke screen sweeping away his kicks.

In this shot you can see Bruce Lee about to be taken down by Maloney who swatted the kick with a wauke while moving in.

The beauty of it is that Uechi has the 'straight blast' similar to WC but with open chain palms out of seisan that are extremely effective for short stop and take downs. Bruce wasn't used to that.
Van
robb buckland

Pixs from this encounter.......

Post by robb buckland »

Van , In Ma. I have a different pic from this encounter....do you have more ?
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

No Robb...but George may.
Van
robb buckland

pics

Post by robb buckland »

Thanks fer tryin !! :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I recall that picture, Van. At the time I saw it, I thought it was posed. In fact it's reminiscent of the kyu kumite number 5 finishing sequence. Bruce is too far away to connect with Jimmy - as if Jimmy set it up that way. Bruce appears one step away from a Jimmy ippon. Quick question - did Kyu Kumite exist at the time of this photo?

While Bruce studied with Yip Man and his fighting style is obviously WC influenced, he appeared to be more of an eclectic. His kicking ability was his alone, and he picked up what he could along the way. And he showed lots of influence from Western boxing with his footwork. Later on his FMA friends (Dan Inosanto) provided more influence.

I hear you on the Seisan palm chain though. I do prefer it - particularly to the extent that it discourages fisted techniques to the head.

Kudos to Bruce for making the rounds. That's the way you learn.

- Bill
JimHawkins

Spin it up....

Post by JimHawkins »

Van Canna wrote: The beauty of it is that Uechi has the 'straight blast' similar to WC but with open chain palms out of seisan that are extremely effective for short stop and take downs. Bruce wasn't used to that.
First off, Bruce would never enter with a high kick (like that) if it was even slightly serious... That 'kick' was for show...

But right, chain palms, a WCK beginner's attack...

Right out of WCK's first and second forms..

Bruce would have had a field day... :lol:

As I recall hearing about this from more than a few, including present company--it was a friendly demo that kept face for all..

But Bruce may have told another version of the story, but then folks just love to tell stories... :lol:
gmattson wrote: I've met Bruce on a couple of occasions and he was very aware of the style I taught. He never mentioned any match or fight with a Uechi practitioner. I know for a fact that he never fought a Uechi family member.
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... baee3ae476
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Bill Glasheen

Re: Spin it up....

Post by Bill Glasheen »

JimHawkins wrote:
First off, Bruce would never enter with a high kick (like that) if it was even slightly serious... That 'kick' was for show...
We don't know the context of that photo. If it was a "friendly exchange", well this might not have been an "entering" technique at all. We have a snapshot in time. And the camera doesn't lie.

Nothing wrong with a well-executed roundhouse kick. Ask Joey Pomfret. With all his Uechi and BJJ credentials, he ended up getting more than a few KOs in the MMA ring with a simple lead roundhouse. And this isn't the movies; this is two men in a ring. But again... it's the context. If you knew what his partner feared out of Joey, you'd know why the technique would work.

Perhaps we should let those who were there explain the context.
JimHawkins wrote:
Bruce would have had a field day... :lol:
Have you ever met or worked out with Mr. Malone? Are you aware of his professional credentials? Just wondering.

If you come to one of our camps, Van or I would be happy to introduce you.

If you decide to take one of his classes, I have one piece of advice. Don't volunteer. And if you can't figure that out, ask former volunteers. :lol:

Personally I think it's fun seeing Bruce and Jimmy together. The more you really know about both of them, the more you know they're probably having a blast no matter what. In their own way... ;)

- Bill
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Bill Glasheen wrote: We don't know the context of that photo. If it was a "friendly exchange", well this might not have been an "entering" technique at all. We have a snapshot in time. And the camera doesn't lie.
Oh the camera doesn't lie well then, that changes, um hmmm, nothing... :lol: But I agree believe what you do see in the pics...not what isn't....

As I said Bruce would not enter (that means from outside where he is) with that except when playing, showing off (speed), or in a movie...

I know enough about how he fought and what he did for the camera etc to make my own conclusion.. We are from the same family and my teacher was classmates with him in HK... Dan Inosanto also attended our school for a time..

Folks can believe whatever they wish--I have my own opinion on the matter based on info from all sides...

And those moves in seisan are actually not chain palms IMO so much.. We do show actual chain palms (over) in our second form. The seisan moves are seen in our third form and do something a little different, (under) at least as we use them... :)
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

JimHawkins wrote:

I know enough about how he fought and what he did for the camera etc to make my own conclusion.. We are from the same family and my teacher was classmates with him in HK... Dan Inosanto also attended our school for a time..
This may be true. However Bruce WAS an eclectic. And his legacy isn't WC; he lived his life as kind of an anti-stylist. Rather is legacy is JKD. And on that matter, I think I'd look to a Uechi/JKD practitioner (e.g. Raffi) to get an inside line w/o bias. Raffi is a teacher in both, and loves both arts.
JimHawkins wrote:

Folks can believe whatever they wish--I have my own opinion on the matter....
Fair enough.
JimHawkins wrote:

And those moves in seisan are actually not chain palms IMO so much.. We do show actual chain palms (over) in our second form. The seisan moves are seen in our third form and do something a little different, (under) at least as we use them...
Those moves in Biu Jee are actually not chain palms IMO so much... You don't do them the way we do them in Seisan. ;)

- Bill
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Bill Glasheen wrote: Those moves in Biu Jee are actually not chain palms IMO so much...
That's actually what I just said... Chaining is over not under.. Those moves are in our third form as are some other very unique movements to Uechi...
Last edited by JimHawkins on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

"There you go again." - Ronald Reagan
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
robb buckland

So much interpretation so little time.....

Post by robb buckland »

:roll: It always seems to be the same folks telling us what Bruce would do and wouldnt do.......Comon !!
As some one who has volunteered in Sensei Maloneys' class and someone who has trained under a Bruce Lee Protoge' (Joe Lewis)

From The JLFS Black Belt Manual "...One of the main attributes of Jeet Kune Do and why its study will help any fighter is the complete understanding of movement..."

Joe doesnt discount Mr Lees ' principles and none of us would discount Sensei Maloneys skills then or now .....it's a picture !
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Same old BS about WC, right Jim? :wink: Things haven't changed a bit in years gone by...you got get in there and somehow put forward WC over Uechi right?

Then you wonder why people 'insult' on a uechi forum.

The moves out of seisan have a great number of applications that you could not understand because you don't know the system.

No wonder Jason writes "here we go again" :lol:

Maybe you should ask Jim Maloney direct about his exchanges with Lee. Nobody here is saying that Maloney 'beat' Lee or viceversa. Those were just skillful exchanges by two superb fighters.

Maloney was as fast as Lee, still is...you can take that to the bank. :wink:
Last edited by Van Canna on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

There are days when this seems like a blog on a Red Sox vs. Yankees game.
  • There are those who love their team and still love and appreciate the game. These are the most fun to chat with - even if they are on The Dark Side. ;)
  • There are those who are blind followers of their team, and can't seem to understand how others perceive their words.
  • And then there are the gratuitous trolls.
Martial arts of course is more than a game. It can be many things. But it does have that element of personalities and camaraderie.

By the way... I dig Bruce's training shirt! 8)

It's difficult to see in this small version of the photo. As I recall it was an elastic fit, with narrow horizontal stripes. I too was hyper-wiry when young. Those stripes made you look bigger. ;)

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I got to laugh my ass off on this.

Just got off the phone with Jim and asked him to refresh my memory of that day.

He said that the exchanges were many and Bruce used some of the photos for his book of the action shots.

He said Bruce was trying to close the distance on him with his fast kicks, but never could.

That he had to take it easy when jamming him because Lee only weighed 127 lbs.

And George was telling Jimmy ‘Take it easy’ for fear he’d knock him to the floor.

Jimmy did confirm he got his wauke under his side and round kicks several time in a jamming fashion, once jarring him off balance but holding him up so he would not fall.

There you go. My memory was pretty much on target.

And this is not a knock on Lee or a style, just a conversation about the wonderful skills of two fighters.
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”