Lets welcome our newest

Lets look at the different ways conditioning is performed in China, Okinawa and elsewhere. What have we learned about this subject to support and dispute the "old" ways.

Moderator: Kevin Guse

gmattson
Site Admin

Lets welcome our newest

Post by gmattson »

moderator to the "Body conditioning" Forum.

Kevin Guse is an extraordinarily gifted athlete and fitness coach. With his background in Uechi-ryu, he should provide a wealth of useful tips and drills to our Eastern Arts' family.

Kevin is a very modest guy and probably won't talk much about his own accomplishments, but I know his friends will jump in here and help with the introductions.

Good luck Kevin.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Welcome Kevin - hope you enjoy your new forum!

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Good to have you here.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!!

I look forward to getting to know all of you better over time and welcome any advice/suggestions you might have for a young moderator. Dana I know just a little bit about you from hearing your name mentioned with high regards while being instructed by Bill G. and I think I might have corresponded with Rich during the set up of the fire dragon test for last summer fest. Thats about it though. Where do you guys live??

I hope that I can bring good discussions that others can learn from and at the same time I am eager to learn from others.

GEM asked me to write a bit about myself and I will get that done tomorrow. 8)

Kevin
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

Welcome 8)
Live for the journey , not the title's :)
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Kevin,

I'm in the DC area, Rich and Bill are down near Richmond, VA.

My best moderator advice:
Be as polite as you are face to face with a stranger. Give people the benefit of the doubt that they generally aren't trying to insult - they're just getting passionate.

Remember that people read posts very quickly and respond very quickly...and sometimes what you think you're saying gets lost in the shuffle.

So I always try to ask a clairifying question when someone posts something that seems to be sort of weird to make sure I got what they were trying to say.

And if there's no disagreement, there's no debate - so it is good to stir the pot from time to time. A fun and fine line to walk.

Enjoy!
Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

Thanks for the advice Dana. Especially the part about getting back to people quickly. Guess I need that with this delayed response. :( I was actually traveling and at a funeral the last couple days.

I’ve never been to DC but someday I’m sure. Looking forward to discussing and learning.

Thanks again.
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

I mentioned earlier that GEM asked me to post about my accomplishments and myself. I don’t know of too many people that like to do that but I can see where it might help for people on the forum to get to know each other a bit. So here it goes….

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and enjoy many outdoor activities. Some of my favorite things to do include: hunting, biking, camping, training myself and other athletes and of course, practicing Uechi-ryu.

I guess my interest in athleticism development and Uechi is the reason for me being on this forum. I grew up in Longmont, CO and was fortunate enough that one of my best friends growing up (Ben Brittenham) was the third generation in a family of athletic training coaches. His grandfather, Dean Brittenham, started their program Athletic Excellence and his two sons, Greg (who currently works with the New York Knicks) and Ben’s dad, Steve, (who develops many phenomenal high school athletes) continued to develop phenomenal athletes. They have worked with numerous NFL, NBA, MLB, and USA Tennis teams to name just a few. I was trained mainly by Steve and spent some time Dean. After being in their program over the years, I eventually was able to start coaching with them at their camps and workouts.

I credit this program with many, if not all, of my athletic accomplishments. After high school, I attended the University of Nebraska where I received my degree in Health and Physical Education. I also played football for the Cornhuskers for five years and pole-vaulted for two seasons. I truly believe that I would not have been able to compete at a D-1 level if it would not have been for Athletic Excellence. You can read more about this program at http://britathletex.com/. GEM also started a thread (Superior Conditioning you may need) about the DVD the Brittenham’s have made that he believes will improve the ability of Uechi practitioners.

In Uechi, I train under the instruction of Sensei Dave Lamb at Capital City Uechi-ryu. I am currently preparing for my Dan test and recently participated and finished the first ever Firedragon test at the last summer fest.

I look forward to passing along any knowledge that I may have and learning from the knowledge of others. All are welcome and encouraged to discuss the many, many issues of conditioning on the forum. :)

Return to “Body Conditioning”