Got milk? How about Got Reaction and Speed??

Lets look at the different ways conditioning is performed in China, Okinawa and elsewhere. What have we learned about this subject to support and dispute the "old" ways.

Moderator: Kevin Guse

Kevin Guse

Got milk? How about Got Reaction and Speed??

Post by Kevin Guse »

Wow!!!!!!!!!! If you haven't seen this video you have got to check it out (soon too because I think the source is getting it off the web) and trust me it pertains to your martial arts!

1.After clicking on the link below or coping and pasting it in your browser click skip the add
2.Then you'll see "amazing juggling finale" and click on the green button
3.After that choose your source and sit back to be amazed! 8O

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2698113?htv=12
Kevin Guse

Applying this to MA

Post by Kevin Guse »

The Guy in the video is a comedian named Chris Bliss and the video was tape on the tonight show. I'll bet you he has better reaction and faster hands than 90% of us. He is one cool cat! 8)

I have been meaning to post a thread on this subject for quit some time so here it goes.

What does this have to do with your Uechi or MA? A LOT! In a self defense situation, sparing or practice, etc how much better do you think you could be if you could react faster and think 3 or 4 steps ahead of you opponent? Juggling is just 1 of many drills I would like to go over that can enhance your reaction, speed, thinking ability and many other useful tools we aspire to have.

Juggling forces the brain out of it's comfort zone. We all know that it works on eye hand coordination but it goes beyond that. As long as you're always trying new tricks or adding something to you juggling it will challenge your brain. They say we use less than 1% of this great piece of equipment in our head. Well juggling is a great way to fire off new synapses and starting increasing that percent. Juggling just so happens to work on our reaction and thinking ability. There was a study done on a variety of people that learned to juggle and juggled everyday. The out come was similar for all. Whether the people were VP's at large business that started to make better decisions, or athletes who outsmarted their opponent and had better reaction juggling increased their productivity.

Thinking ability in Uechi and MAs is critical right. Juggling is a great way to practice improve your thinking ability.

Here is the key. Find someone or a book to teach you how to juggle. A good book is Juggling for the complete Klutz
http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product.ph ... 8100&cat=1

Then as you learn to juggle don't settle. Force yourself to learn new tricks. If you need ideas let me know. After you think that you have mastered all the tricks we have to continue to challenge our brain. So we are going to make the brain do 2 tasks at once. This is where you can be creative. As you Juggle add some other task i.e. have someone call out numbers to you and add/multiply them up, walk through an obstacle course of cones, dribble a soccer ball with your feet. Just keep forcing your brain to work. Then if you want to move on try three tasks. Juggle, add and dribble the ball.

Don't get overwhelmed and be a quitter if you don't get it right away. The first time we learned to tie our shoes it didn't come easy but we stuck with it (or maybe you didn't and your still wearing slip ons or Velcro. nothing wrong with that either) :wink: My point is the first time you do something it is harder each time after that you will get better. Was san-chin easy the fist time? After 5 years I'm still working on it. So stick with it and no saying I don't have time or I work in and office. Everyone has 2 minutes in a day to improve themselves.

I'll post some more reaction and thinking drills in the days to come.

Great people in our society work on all the little details to get ahead and soon all those little details add up to a big part leaving those who skip the little details in the dust. 8)

Let me hear your feedback and progress!
gmattson
Site Admin

I completely agree with

Post by gmattson »

you Kevin...

wonder how many years it took him to get that good. Thanks for the clip.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Kevin Guse

Quick Disks

Post by Kevin Guse »

Another very simple and cheap drill to increase you hand eye coordination, reaction and challenge your brain.

What you will need:
2-3 of one of the fallowing
washers about the size of a silver dollar
poker chips
anything of a similar size and weight

We call this drill quick disks. Start by placing one disk on the back of your hand as you hold your arm out in front of you. Next concentrate while pulling your hand away(towards your body) and grab the disk out of the air in an overhand grab before it hits the ground. Key is to not throw the disk up in the air but just pull your hand back towards your body. This will be the basic drill. Here is a list as you accomplish each one 5 or so times in a row.

1. One disk (do with both hands)
2. One disk on each hand grab at the same time
3. One disk on each hand. Pull away grab the disk from the left hand with your right and right hand disk with you left. Make it two individual grabs.
4. Same as number 3 but grab with left hand first.
5. Place two disks on the back of one hand. One Will be on your hand and the other 2-3 in. up on your wrist. Now pull you hand away and make two individual grabs first the rear disk then the front. Try with both hands. Next try 3 disks with 3 grabs. It is possible we have had athletes do four and almost five off of one hand.

Hope this isn't too confusing if anyone reads this post and it does confuse you let me know so I can clarify. I think this would be a great drill for Karate students to spend 3-5 minutes on sometime at class maybe when they get there early. Have fun.

Return to “Body Conditioning”