Greetings from the Volunteer State

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

Obion

Greetings from the Volunteer State

Post by Obion »

Hello to all. My name is Jason and as you can gather from the subject line, I'm from Tennessee. I am a TaeKwonDo practitioner and have been since 1985. I can't recall how I "discovered" Uechi-Ryu but its been a rather recent discovery and I've been fascinated by it since. I would very much like the opportunity to study Uechi-Ryu; however, there are no schools that I'm aware of in my general area.

Its been an observation of mine that some students of a particular style who venture into another, seem to be very critical of their "new" style/school in favor of their parent style. I can honestly say that I feel truly drawn to the Uechi-ryu system, having never taken the first lesson but from reading and observations I've been fortunate enough to see of Uechi-Ryu, I would place Uechi-Ryu LIGHT YEARS ahead of the TKD (or any style for that matter) in its effectiveness both as a combative form and as an art for personal development. The Sanchin kata is just awesome. A person could practice ONLY that kata and have a lifetime's worth of work.

I truly envy those of you fortunate enough to be Uechi-Ryu practitioners and students. I believe you all have something truly, truly special. Thank you for allowing me to become a member of your community here.
mhosea

Re: Greetings from the Volunteer State

Post by mhosea »

Welcome. I think most of us appreciate the powerful kicks of TKD. One of the things I love about Uechi Ryu is perhaps one of the differences. Uechi ryu is primarily a close range, in-fighting art. The guy I'm sparring with in my avatar is a former TKD guy. He can out kick me any day of the week, which is why you see me closing to get inside his kicking range. What you don't see there is that he's a pretty good Uechi guy, too, so maybe being in close isn't always that much better. :D
Mike
Obion

Post by Obion »

I suppose it comes down to the students proficiency in which every art one practices. :)

I've witnessed TKD fighters really hammer some people home with those dramatic, high flying jumping side kicks....I've seen guys get really creamed precisely because they weren't keeping their feet on the ground. Personally, from what I've seen of Uechi-Ryu it is a "day in day out" much more effective combative style.

Thanks for the reply and for having me in your "house." If an Uechi-Ryu practitioner ever comes to TN, please let me know. I'd love to sign up as a student!!
Obion

Post by Obion »

Reviving an old thread here for update purposes: To my great pleasure, an Uechi dojo has become available in my general area and have been an active member of it for the past 2.5 years now. Currently ranked San-Kyu. I say, "general area," as I'm driving an hour and twenty minutes, one-way, to class; however, it's been absolutely worth it. I originally started this thread 11 years ago, which is approximately when I first discovered Uechi-Ryu and became fascinated by it but at that time, there were no dojos within a reasonable distance of me. I feel extremely fortunate to have finally had the opportunity to participate in this style and officially become a part of the Uechi community. My Sensei is also a member of this forum, and ranked Roku-Dan, Renshi. All the best to everyone here!!

Return to “Member Introductions”