MIRROR IMAGE

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

MIRROR IMAGE

Post by Art Rabesa »

This is a great way to teach beginning students. I mean those that are just beginning to learn the stepping and hand position. I usually discuss pretty advanced material in my forum. This just comes from the many years of running a dojo and having all those people beginning their training. The main thing with raw beginners, is to make it as easy to understand as possible. Take the frustration out of learning. I found that using mirrors is a great training aid for these students. Many schools have mirrors - some do not. I placed my mirrors in the back of the training area away from the other activity. Most of the time I would go with these new students to the mirror. I had mirrors that went to the floor and took in the entire body. Standing beside the student or students, I would have them watch me as we went through various movements. The position of the feet, the hands, elbows, shoulders, etc. I would say things like, "Put your trigger finger on the end of your shoulder". This for the hands in sanchin. "Move your hand in a little to your body", for the end of the thrust. With them looking in the mirror, they can now relate body parts to the movement. "Get the back of your hand just above the forehead on that high block". They can see where to place the hand, and then feel it when it is in place. Standing with them as we move our arms and feet, gives them good visual awareness. There is no frustration in learning something new because they can see what is happening, especially when the teacher is doing it with them. I use mirrors for advanced students as well. Especially for advanced kata and fighting techniques. SO ---if you have a dojo --and you do not have mirrors --- I suggest getting some. It actually makes teaching easier and more productive. -------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: MIRROR IMAGE --Body Awareness

Post by Art Rabesa »

One of the top reasons for this forum is to aid in the instruction of Uechi Ryu. Hence- topics like this. Being a firm believer in mirror training, I want to slip this teaching tip in. This holds true for all ranks. Getting students to be aware of their space. Protecting their space. Things outside of their space in relation to those things entering their space. Simply put--- "Don't let stuff in". This is what mirror training does. Taking the beginners through the arm and hand positions in relationship to their own body. An example of this might be where their hands are, as they look at themselves in the mirror. Getting them to see, and feel, the position of the hands. Line up body parts so the student can feel where they are. Actually place the hands, or feet, in the correct position. Having them look at themselves in the mirror as they hold that position. You want them to feel the muscles contract, and the tendons and ligaments stretch when in each position. This is what they feel when doing each position. This is "Body Awareness". Get them to understand how they feel, and look, when they do each block or strike. Getting the beginning students in proper SANCHIN alignment is of the utmost importance. Looking at themselves in the sanchin stance, and arm and hand position, will give them a better understanding. Watching their step and thrust, and aligning it to their body, brings quicker progression. Mirror training brings less frustration to the first learning phase. -----------The advanced students will get better results in both their form, and fighting techniques with mirror work. I would have my advanced students work their kata movements in the mirror. Freezing them at certain sections of the kata, and looking in the mirror. This was especially good when moving from stance to stance. This is where sanchin is lost in most cases. Mirror training would let them see where their mistakes are. To do it slower would allow the advanced student to see their proper alignment, when performing a particular movement. I really liked my students to work on certain strikes in the mirror. Especially when there's a series of strikes. Proper body alignment is essential in delivering multiple strikes. They would see, and feel, this as they watched the mirror. They knew that when delivering that punch after that kick, the hands must be carried this way when kicking. If not, getting that strong punch off after the kick would be very difficult. Mirrors became my teaching assistant. They gave back great results without asking for anything. All I had to do was keep them polished. Good deal. -------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”