Sanchin questions.

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

MikeK

Sanchin questions.

Post by MikeK »

Well I finally took my first steps in Uechi - ryu. I'm starting to get sanchin at a very basic level but came across one problem. How is it done at Bill Glasheen's dojo? I checked the videos of the 2001 summer camp and the first guy starts out with his right foot forward and does 4 sanchin strikes the second with his left and does 3. Could someone tell me or point me to an online resource to the standard way sanchin is done at Bill's? I'd wait until my next class and ask Bill or Rich but I'll be away until Sunday.
Thanks.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Good questions. It shows you care about specific details.

Sanchin is a bit different than other katas. Sanchin can start with the left or the right sanchin stance depending on the preference of who ever is leading it. I've had sanchin katas go from one end of the dojo to the other and back. It doesn't matter. As far as there being a standard way to do Sanchin, you'll find Sanchin kata changes a little from dojo to dojo. Let me see if I can find a clip of Master Uechi doing his sanchin.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Hello Mike. The good news is that it really does not matter how many steps you take or whether you start off in right foot or left foot forward stance.

In Richmond, we start off right foot forward. Then three steps and four thrusts forward, turn (starting right foot forward again) and repeat, turn and repeat. I have been at dojos that do it this way, and some that differ. If you have GEM's Uechi-ryu Karate Do book the sequence shown is a bit different.

I have also been in dojos where we would step as many times as space would allow before turning.

So, do not be concerned.

Regards, Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Ben, Rich, thanks for clearing that up. I noticed Sensei Tomoyose gesturing to the students for when to turn so I was wondering if sanchin was more open ended. I also watched the tape of Shinyu Gushi doing sanchin and he was also a bit different. Now at least I can practice and then go to sleep without wondering about this. :D

Once again thanks for the info and the video.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Good to see you on board, Mike!

Indeed there's nothing terribly sacred about the number of thrusts forwards and back. There's a general standard, but there are acceptable variations, and even some classroom marathon-type versions of the kata.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”