Big Dog Syndrome?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Second, the first strike principle should only be used as an act of protection from unlawful injury or the immediate risk of unlawful injury.

If you decide to launch a preemptive strike against your adversary, you had better be certain that a reasonable threat exists and that it is absolutely necessary to protect yourself from immediate danger.

Remember, the decision to launch a preemptive strike must always be a last resort where all other means of avoiding and defusing violence have been exhausted.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Intent.
Once you have assessed the adversary's demeanor, you're in a much better position to assess his intent. In other words, why is this person confronting you? Does he intend to rob or kill you? Is he trying to harass you?

Is he seeking vengeance for something you have done? Or is he a troublemaker looking to pick a fight with you?

Determining the assailant's intent is perhaps the most important assessment factors, but it also can be the most difficult.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

BEWARE! Do not be a defensive fighter in a street fight

A defensive fighter is one who permits his adversary to seize and maintain offensive control in a fight. Beware! this defensive mindset can get you killed in street combat.

Simply put, allowing your antagonist the opportunity to deliver the first strike is tactical suicide. It is like allowing a gunslinger to draw his pistol first.

Never forget that in unarmed combat, if you permit the adversary to strike first, he might injure or possibly kill you, and he will most certainly force you into an irreversible defensive flow that can preclude you from issuing an effective counter attack.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Employing the first strike principle requires an offensive mentality that compels you to act rather than react. You must be aggressive and take affirmative and absolute control of the situation by making all the decisions and acting immediately without apprehension or trepidation.

Unfortunately, some martial art instructors teach their students to wait for their opponent to make the first move. This can be a BIG MISTAKE! In the mean streets of America, this reactive type of approach will get you a one way trip to the city morgue.

Where do we do this, Bill? :wink:
Last edited by Van Canna on Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Sammy Franco
First Strike principle states the following: Whenever you are squared off with a dangerous adversary and there is no way to safely escape, you must strike first, strike fast, strike with authority, and keep the pressure on.

This offensive strategy is essential to the process of neutralizing a formidable adversary in a street fight.

A first strike is defined as the strategic application of proactive force designed to interrupt the initial stages of an assault before it becomes a self-defense situation.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Striking first is the best method of achieving this combat objective because it permits you to neutralize your adversary swiftly while at the same time precluding his ability to effectively retaliate. No time is wasted and no unnecessary risks are taken.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

"As always," Franco says in closing, "make sure your actions are legally and morally justified in the eyes of the law."
Van
Van Canna

Franco

Post by Van Canna »

if a self-defense practitioner is to prevail in combat, he must be more vicious than his adversary. His tools and techniques must be brutal, explosive, and conclusive. At the same time, his attack must be strategically calculated to maximize efficiency, effectiveness and safety.
Think of the Chinatown incident where Rabesa came under attack by three punks who had invaded his car.

His kicks and punches fractured the sternum and the facial bone structure of two of them. He got a call from the ER surgeons at home[rooming with Jim Maloney] wanting to know if he had hit them with his car.

Street survival equals not BS karate. :wink:
Van
IJ

Post by IJ »

"Where do we do this, Bill?"

A rhetorical question, yes, but for the purposes of discussion: Kumite. Calling all seniors for prearranged drills they feel best prepares a student for a real fight, rather than for the upcoming test.... I'm sure a variety of suggestions would make for an interesting thread.
--Ian
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

What you all are watching is the death spasm of the NBA.
It began with the Europeans making them look stupid in the Olympics and it's just continuing.

It could have started when that guy got married in the wedding dress. That was a beautiful thing.

Some day soon their salaries will begin a decline and they will strike and no one will care. Like that other pro sport.

Personally I've never been to a game, watched one since the Celtics of the 80's nor bought the t-shirts or other stuff.

And Kareem learned JKD, not Kung-fu. Not that it really matters.......... :lol:
Still love him in "Game of Death".
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I had some of the most gifted athletes spend a few classes here and there with me. The lesson I learned was that size and physical conditioning don't mean squat when it comes to fighting ability. That is a VERY important lesson to learn. It is a reason why - unlike most - I will walk amongst a group of these types of athletes with no fear and no intimidation.
Bill do you really beleive this ? , I know and have met some incredible athletes and I beleive quite the contrary . If you mean dojo points sparring
thats a different thing and I understand
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Very true Marcus.

I think those gifted athletes are natural effective fighters when they need be.

And will turn most "martial artists" into artistic pretzels. :wink:

Try and get into a fight with a gifted soccer player :lol:Image
Van
jaybo

Post by jaybo »

Hey all;

And let's not forget those guys that compete in the strongman competitions. Their size alone...where do you hit them w/o pissing them off? Those guys flip cars, pull trucks, lift boulders, etc. while most of us could maybe push a car out of the snow w/ a few buddies and not get too winded or call for a tow truck.

I know my Black Belt wouldn't hold up to pulling a bus. And it wouldn't look so long and pretty w/ the charaters on it if tied around their chests...yikes.

Sorry, sometimes size does matter guys.

Keep it real.

jaybo
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Right on Jaybo.

Let us not forget that we must deal with the ubiquitous delusive mindset on these forums, fostered by "Tradition"

It is simply unbelievable what a traditionalist can "sell" to himself... 8O

This is not to point at you, Bill, but it is directed out generally...I hear this stuff all the time..About how a trained Uechi/name your style is such a great fighter.. But against whom? Against what?

Fighting against mountainous men, with twice the average strength, weight, reach, and four times the stamina of the average MA_ is a serious undertaking not to be taken lightily
Van
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

I partially agree.

I had a chance to compare the punching power of one of our sergeants (240 pounds, looks like a life-size GI Joe doll) and one of our female deputies (about 160 pounds) who had had "a little boxing training". She hit harder than he did. Quite a bit harder.

Someone in excellent cardio condition runs out of gas in a grapple as fast as any beginner, but an experienced grappler is actually resting most of the time... and aerobic ccondition doesn't affect an an aerobic activity much.

We also had a football player, when I was in college, try for a second varsity letter in judo. Despite his size and strength, he was helpless, especially on the ground. He just couldn't see or feel what was about to happen.

Big and strong with a little training is dangerous. A good athlete will be a better fighter than a couch potato with the same training. But an excellent basketball player won't be able to walk onto a soccer field and play at a high level. It will take him a while to learn how to read the field.

Rory

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”