A shock I know: The strategic use of backing up

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"

Post by Guest »

Stryke wrote: Luckily NZ isnt as litigous a society as the US yet ... but it`ll happen .
My Dad summed it up on the phone the other night... he said "No matter what happens, always make sure there is only one story".

:twisted:

You gotta love it!
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Marcus,

I agree 100% :)
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

"No matter what happens, always make sure there is only one story"
Important stuff , and remeber you have time to work out the truth ..

You are in a lot of shock

Can the lawman please get you a doctor ? your overwhelmed potentially hurt ....

And were afraid for your life ....

then get your lawyer and sort it out later on .

See Sensei Van some folks are listening :wink:
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

That why I'm glad I took Rich's CHP course and was exposed by CDT to the legal side of self defense. You have to know what you are going to say before you ever have that next encounter. According to Marc MacYoung you should also keep the numbers of a good defense attorney and a good civil attorney handy.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Stryke wrote:
"No matter what happens, always make sure there is only one story"
Important stuff , and remember you have time to work out the truth ..

You are in a lot of shock

Can the lawman please get you a doctor ? your overwhelmed potentially hurt ....

And were afraid for your life ....

then get your lawyer and sort it out later on .

See Sensei Van some folks are listening :wink:
Thanks, Marcus. This is potentially the most devastating pressure placed upon you/us in the immediate aftermath.

The police will apply pressure for you to talk and cajole and threaten in subtle ways.

You may be hurt_ certainly traumatized to an extreme, and your Brain will not function rationally in spite of what we write or think we will do.

We will not recall what we would have said to investigating officers, even if we read it in the police report in your lawyer's office.

Mas Ayoob, WARNS that we will experience ''LOGORRHEA"
a POTENTIALLY FATAL DISEASE.

The driver of a bus, after having killed someone in a broadside accident, told the investigating officer that, as he saw the other vehicle blowing the stop sign, 25 feet away, he unbuckled his seat belt, got up from the driver's seat, and ran to the back of the bus as the collision occurred. :?
Van
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Great comments guys.

Much appreciated discussion.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

"Hesitation can be fatal."

So good it had to be repeated twice.
Who was that chinese loser general who talked about this?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

So in personal experience - sometimes when you engage you make a mistake and your balance is upset instead of that of your opponent's. At such times you need to backup to regain your center (you may need to move to wherever your center is headed). Having bounced off more than one person in my life because my timing was just a wee bit off there is strategic advantage in being able to recover quickly.

Because sometimes we may not be winning the fight from the beginning but need to turn the tide in medias res.
Did you show compassion today?
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Right and this is why I have said that when we "go back" it's most often cause they put us their.. Still it's normally back very little in the way of stepping and over to change lines and align. A very small movement should be needed to regain your balance, try working pivoting like a revolving door, let their force turn you and align you for the counter.. :)
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

But sometimes you are just outclassed, like I was this last weekend. I now know what it feels like to have my jaw move when hit by a palm heel and the noise the bridge of the nose makes when hit with a hiraken. After that the only better idea than backing up is getting the flock out of there. :wink:
I was dreaming of the past...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Sounds like youve already lost , running sounds a great option .

perhaps they will stop if you take a few steps back . Good luck !!

But if you dont do it with angling and evasion I think your just going to get stomped into the ground .

Personally i`d suggest a clinch and grappling , kind of like in the kata ....

but thats just me .
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

How about inviting the attacker to go along with you? After all, that's where he's trying to go. :twisted:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Now where talking strategy , ive got some good throws to that effect

:D
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Yeah Stryke, what's that called a downward block? :lol:

Really, I don't know the names so please bear with me.

Or what about that weird rising forearm block thing. Seems like a good way to f**k someone up. You could maybe turn someone's arm inside out with that. :lol:

Return to “Fighting Drills”