Gi Color

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Hi
Old ways should incorperate evolving ,they are going to move you forewards from first of all learning to be present ,present to sanchin .
Being present to sanchin is difficult .
This is were the older uechi starts ,and nothing but .
max.
max ainley
eSc

Is this off topic or on topic? You tell me :)

Post by eSc »

Thought you'de all like to know that I've decided to buy a black gi :)

(excellent discussion though)
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Hi ,
Kanbun did not wear either gi or a belt ,back on topic.
max.
max ainley
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

yep..off topic but Ok..it stimulates curiosity and learning.

I will start another 'dedicated' history thread on my forum shortly. :D

Watch out for the emotional highjacking we are all famous for. :lol:
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

There was a site on the Internet that someone (?) sent us to with multiple articles by a smart martial artist. This person had a nickname of "the animal", in case that jogs anyones memory.

To start with, we do need to be careful with language. I tend to forgive George of his more casual use of words because I generally know what he means from having worked with him for years.

That being said...

This individual on this site gave a wonderful article about how various things we do are related, but indeed are not the same. He had a bit of a Venn Diagram to demonstrate it in a crude but effective way. For the circles he had the domains of

*self-defense

* combat

* martial art

* sport

* physical fitness

* etc.

These circular domains interesected each other somewhat, but also encompased distinct areas of specialty.

All of us should stare at such a Venn Diagram some time, and give it time to sink in. It speaks volumes.

As for "old" and "new" ways, more and more I don't worry about that so much. As a researcher I know the value of "the literature." We need constantly to reference it to know the context of our study or research and the relevance to what was done in the past. And when possible we shouldn't reinvent the wheel if we can avoid it. On the other hand it is my opinion that smart people can reach a "critical mass" of knowledge past which they can go pretty darn far by themselves before re-tapping into what's going on around them. This is where student can do as well as or in some cases better than teacher. This is where "style" of ANY emphasis can evolve and grow. And I find this particularly relevant as training methods change and improve every day. And it's much, much easier now to compare notes with other smart people attacking the same issues from a different vantage point.

So I'm really happy there are those historians out there trying to learn something about "old ways." But to me, it has its place. It is extremely important, but not at the exclusion of other activities that breathe life into what we are doing - today.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Excellent post Bill

I totally agree

defining what your training is for , has huge ramifications in how you train .

If the newer Uechi Drills were designed for sport , or in fact Uechi is now just a sport , while there is crossover , the outcome is always going to dictate training methods .

Sport training is without a doubt usefull and produces some excellent attributes . I`m indebted to competition karate .
John Giacoletti

Black Gi

Post by John Giacoletti »

esc revealed:
Thought you'de all like to know that I've decided to buy a black gi
:)

Good going ... with at least one washing a week, in about three years you'll look sharp in a salty-looking grey almost satin looking gi. The waist band will need reinforced after about two years and the collar and cuffs will be showing their threads :wink:
There is much to make of every moment.
eSc

Re: Black Gi

Post by eSc »

John Giacoletti wrote:esc revealed:
Thought you'de all like to know that I've decided to buy a black gi
:)

Good going ... with at least one washing a week, in about three years you'll look sharp in a salty-looking grey almost satin looking gi. The waist band will need reinforced after about two years and the collar and cuffs will be showing their threads :wink:
Yeah but for those 3 years I'll looks some slick. And I wash after every class so maybe i'll only look good for 1.5 years!
John Giacoletti

Traditional Keikoji and Hakama

Post by John Giacoletti »

I remember that one of my early enquires to this forum concerned the black robes worn by Okinawan karate masters. They seem to have been an extension of the traditional robes worn by administrative officials when Okinawa was an independent kingdom.

The Keikogi is Japanese crossover jacket tied in front. It is traditionally worn with the Hakama, a pleated skirt-like garmet.

The Century Martial Arts Catalog describes the Hakama as "historically worn by the Samurai to hide leg movements and give the illusion of floating....Students of modern kendo, aikido, iaido, and some style of jujutsu wear the hakama."

The properties of illusion and deception are important and are often forgotten in our contemporary karate. What we look like to others, what we show, helps to characterize us.

Remember in the David Caradine Kung Fu series how important the tiger and dragon tattos were? They were signs of recognition to the Chinese rail workers that signified special fighting skills.

Would not the Shaolin and Taoist monks who originated gung fu have worn robes and Uechi Kanbun Sensei in China?

Patrick McCarthy in shown wearing one of the black Okinawan robes in an afterpage in his translation of The Bubushi.

Will GEM be bext? :lol:
There is much to make of every moment.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I was dreaming of the past...
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

That is called a fundoshi

Looks like a diaper, doesn't it?

:lol:
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I'm trying to decide if I should go with a nice basic black or a red, white and blue one. :lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

How about a black and blue one, Mike? :P

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Bill, It'd take two brave and secure men to sanchin test in that. :lol:
Van Canna

This I like

Post by Van Canna »