There ARE intellegent christians in america.

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

fivedragons wrote:Dude, you're an ass, and you don't stand alone on an island, defending with a sword everything that is right in this world.

I am another person standing on an island, and I can easily refute everything Ian has ever postulated. The only question remaining is, will he listen to reason? :lol:

Stay tuned.....
Donkey's are pretty badass. Don't diss the donkey.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Donkeys are very cool, Adam, but you don't need to become the donkey to understand it.

God doesn't judge the donkey, because it is but one of a myriad of expressions of itself.

But, if a human being aspires to be a donkey, god judges in the same way that the human being judges itself.

Not cool.
cxt

Post by cxt »

IJ

With all the words at our fingertips.....for the reason's I listed...perhaps it would be a better idea to use a less lauditory term to describe such henious acts than "courage."

Like I said, with such a shallow approach....litterally any act can be spun as showing "courage".....shooting abortion providers, blowing up clincs, shepards murderers, Nazi's, klansmen---all those things that simply do not deserve to be mentioned with any degree of praising terms.

We have a large number of words available....I'm just suggesting we use them.

Sorry you missed it--Mahrs comment on the "courage" of the 9/11 hijackers is what essentially cost him his first TV show.

"So I didn't feel ideologically required to defend Mahr or attack you"

Of course you did. ;)

"It would be a little silly of you to seize on a word and harp on it for a month"

You mean like you have been doing? I have been having this discussion with myself then? ;)
Strange, and here I thougt that you had been defending Mahrs use of the term for the last month.
So its it's important enough to defend...but not talk about???

"Ok...THEY would not have met the defination of courage"

Wonderful......so how do we establish exactly which ones were aware and which ones were not before we use praiseworthy terms to describe them?

Perhaps since we don't know....we should be a little more strigent with whom we choose to praise......a little less quick to find postive praiseworthy terms to describe them.

Just a suggestion. ;)
Last edited by cxt on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget #6, you are now serving nonsense.

HH
cxt

Post by cxt »

fivedragons

Whoa.......and whom appointed you arbitter of behavior?

Lets walk thu this...."I'm" an "ass" because I feel that mass murderers that kill large numbers of innocent, unaware people utterly unable to defend themselves, without even letting them know they were potential targets... do not deserve the lauditory term of "courage."

And my expression of that opinion...in your terms makes me an "ass"

So what does expressing your opinion makeyou? :roll:

It would seem that if I can't express my opinion on the behavior of a mass murderers....how much worse are you acting when you express your opinion on just my words?

By your ahm........"logic" your being a far bigger "ass" than I am.

Yeah, that makes sense...lets not judge mass murderers too harshly....but lets make sure you speak out against me. :roll:

Catch you later.

HH
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Sorry, nothing personal, and yes I freely admit that I'm an ass.

But one that knows the definition of courage.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

On topic....there are many intelligent Christians in the world. So, by saying one cannot be an intellectual and a christian is just painting with a broad brush.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

My turn to be an ass....
That last statement was made with a very broad brush.
And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
cxt

Post by cxt »

fivedragons

Nothing to apologize for....I didn't take it personally.

I just disagree with using words that essentially result in giving any degree of praise to people that commit acts which are, IMO, too henious to be treated with any degree of respect.
Every wackjob on the planet has somebody that agrees with what they do.......that don't make them right.

We have huge vocabularies at our fingertips---all I'm suggetsting is that we use them.

"someone whom follows your own personal moral code or logical philosophy. Get the %%^&^& over it"

So I shouldn't use my "personal, moral code" to judge how others say things---but you have no problem using your "personal moral code" to judge me????

Like I said, I'm just talking here...I was not offended, nor am I trying to offend you or anybody else.

I also have serious issues with cultural relativism.

HH
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

cxt wrote: I just disagree with using words that essentially result in giving any degree of praise to people that commit acts which are, IMO, too henious to be treated with any degree of respect.
What, really, is the point of avoiding positive words, anyhow? What is gained by doing that? I think it's dangerous to pretend that one's enemies are not smart or clever. If we get so focused on not using words that can be construed as respectful (like smart, or cunning, or courageous) we risk underestimating them.
IJ

Post by IJ »

CXT: you have nothing new to say in your post, however, four final clarifications:

You didn't "get me" by noting where Maher spoke of courage. I had just asked for clarification, you provided it.

No, I don't need to attack all your posts, just the bad one. In the Venn diagram, there is substantial overlap.

Just because you can find a tiny fraction of personal risk in bombing an abortion clinic does not mean it rises at all to the level of bravery (as perceived by untold millions of antiamerican losers) that would be inherent in a suicide mission or that would make it courageous (to those same losers). That proves nothing, but I'm sure you think it does prove something. Think of it this way: the people that foiled the final plane attack on 9/11 were courageous, but by your logic, eating a twinkie could be considered courageous because of the transfat; are we to say the acts are comparable? No, they're not, and sneaking around leaving a bomb to go off later isn't in the same league as a suicidal mission.

And lastly: yes, I have been disagreeing with your harping on the supposedly monumental importance of a single word for just as long as you've been harping on it.

Blabber all ya want. This topic is as dead as the deporting illegal patients thread.
--Ian
Topos

Bill Mahr is a Schmuck! [ felt good to say this :) ]

Post by Topos »

Sent a family friend this whole thread ... he is 'in country' with a select team. I, having spent a semester in 1960's at the best 13th century university in America, Yale, department of philosophy, I extrapolated to him with:

"How many Islamo Fascist Terrorists can dance on the head of a pin?"

Being of the same mind and on the same wavelength he replied: " 10! Dancing came 5 seconds after i pulled said pin and tossed it with its former holder into their room."

God Bless American Special Forces!!!
AAAhmed46

Re: Bill Mahr is a Schmuck! [ felt good to say this :) ]

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Topos wrote:Sent a family friend this whole thread ... he is 'in country' with a select team. I, having spent a semester in 1960's at the best 13th century university in America, Yale, department of philosophy, I extrapolated to him with:

Being of the same mind and on the same wavelength he replied: " 10! Dancing came 5 seconds after i pulled said pin and tossed it with its former holder into their room."

From Mahr's interviews, it seems he doesn't like Muslims either so, it really an irrelevant argument.

He makes way to many gross generalizations overall, saying belief it self points to stupidity.
IJ

Post by IJ »

Maher takes on all religions. And he doesn't hit "belief" an iota, rather, faith, and particularly destructive faith / unthinking faith.

Yale was founded in the 13th century?
--Ian
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

IJ wrote:Maher takes on all religions. And he doesn't hit "belief" an iota, rather, faith, and particularly destructive faith / unthinking faith.

Yale was founded in the 13th century?
He takes shots at faith in general(I know he's agnostic) for instance, he said scoffing, that he he had christians walk up to him who believe in jesus but don't believe in the bible, and more or less implied they are stupid as well. If their faith is unquestioning, how then do they NOT believe in the bible?
TSDguy

Re: Bill Mahr is a Schmuck! [ felt good to say this :) ]

Post by TSDguy »

Topos wrote:Sent a family friend this whole thread ... he is 'in country' with a select team. I, having spent a semester in 1960's at the best 13th century university in America, Yale, department of philosophy, I extrapolated to him with:

What in the hell are you talking about? He made a friggen feature length movie about how the world is going to end because of people like muslim (and their christian counterpart) extremist. I'm baffled by your post.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”