My artificial hip

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Nicholson blew all the money he made on it making the movie "Head" starring the Monkees.

Shows how much he was smokin....

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Topos

Best Wishes For Speedy Recovery

Post by Topos »

Ray,

We colonialists send our fondest regards to you for the speediest of recoveries.

Guess you have to give up dirt biking and must settle for a comfortable Aston Martin.

Best to you.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Ray, I pray you heal very quickly and are back in action doing what you love.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Thanks Vicki :)
I am pretty much recovered I just really wanted to get some idea of what to do and what to avoid. I've dropped the Escrima classes because they appeared to be pretty high impact...and I had just started with a new Wing-Chun teacher when I learned that I needed a new hip.....he's been very good and says that I can make the Wing-Chun work to suit me, but there doesn't seem to be a lot that needs changing. He also does Zhan Zhuang......so I intend to do that as well..so I guess I'm lucky...I did fancy having a go at Aikido again, but I think my Aiki days are over :cry:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

jorvik wrote:
I did fancy having a go at Aikido again, but I think my Aiki days are over :cry:
People with back injuries and artificial joints generally should avoid dealing with high speed dirt (a.k.a. ukemi).

Maybe one day that will all change when the technology gets better. But right now, implants don't regenerate when mildly traumatized the way our Nature-given joints do. Instead, we just replace them after so many years of wear and tear. And that isn't exactly fun...

On the positive side, attention to impact and jerky movement will teach you to move more efficiently. And that isn't a bad thing at all.

- Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Thanks Bill...for the past couple of years I have tended to opt for the more tactile sort of skills anyway i.e. firstly Tai-Chi then Escrima and now Wing-Chun.
Wing-Chun doesn't really have that much movement in it, a lot of the time it is just doing sticking hands and related stuff, and depending on the school can be hard or soft ( although they are all supposed to be hard/soft)
My current school is very soft 8) .........the Zhan Zhuang is basically standing Qi Kung exercises, and also the beginning of another martial art ( Yi Quan)......who knows I may just end up doing that :)
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Ray, sent you a PM. Will be back in town next Wed.

Happy continued healing to you.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”