Father's Day?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

chef

Father's Day?

Post by chef »

What do guys like for Father's Day...seriously?

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't speak for others.

I recently had a birthday. The best birthday present my boys gave me was cleaning the house. Chores aren't something that they take to, although it's something that every kid needs to have. It's part of owning your own place when you're on your own, so it should be part of living under a roof when you're younger. For a kid, the quantity/quality of work isn't as important as the certainty that it's done, the lack of drama associated with doing it, and the degree of initiative (doing more than what's asked). For once, my boys did well. It was better than the usual, and showed signs of "sticking."

A wife has many ways to be a wife. By the time a man is a father, a wife should know her man. We aren't that complicated, really. One is different from the next, but we all have our handles and our buttons.

I leave you with a few lines from a Jethro Tull song about God and religion. It applies to fathers as well, and how they should be treated.

I don't believe you
You've got the whole damn thing all wrong
He's not the kind you have to wind up
On Sunday.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

I'll spend time with my kids. I think the idea of getting away from your kids on Father's Day is kinda antithetical to the whole thing. My ideal is for my kids to remember the day more than I do. :wink:
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Glenn

Re: Father's Day?

Post by Glenn »

chef wrote: What do guys like for Father's Day...seriously?
I see Father's Day as one of those days on the calendar that remind us that we need to periodically step back from the pressures and have a family day. So what I like is to not worry about chores, work, and bills and just focus on quality time with the wife and kids.
Glenn
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

I love being a father, so Father's Day always seemed wrong, like celebrating something that was a celebration already.

If anything, it might be a good excuse to do or at least schedule some of the father things- camping, climbing, skydiving, fishing that you always talk about doing with your dad but never get around to.

Rory
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

The kids all left for church and my wife and I revisited the beginning of the parenthood process :wink: , then met them for lunch at Blue Mountain Brewery. Quite a good day.
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

On Saturday night - father's day eve - my son and I took my dad and mom out to dinner. On Sunday morning, my son and I teed off at 8:46 on a breezy rainy morning for 18 holes of golf and then off to a bbq after that.

Great day

John
It's what we do!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”