Sanchin is so hard to transmit...

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MikeK wrote:
In other words GIGO. (This is not including the Uechi folks that I've met).
I was blessed with a VERY good Goju instructor. His instructors? Gosei Yamaguchi and Kimo Wall. Not exactly unknown characters.

There is good karate out there. And then there is not-so-good karate.

There is good RBSD out there. And then there is not-so-good RBSD out there.

There are good cars out there. And then there are some real PsOS! ;)

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

It takes a lot more work to pass on the good stuff, but a matter of minutes to propagate cwap.
I was dreaming of the past...
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

MikeK wrote:But we are discussing people of advanced rank needing correction, and who are passing along these glitches to others.

The idea that Sanchin is hard to transmit is interesting, but I don't see why it should be if it is universal, unless, the people transmitting it don't fully understand the goals, training and testing methodology of it. In other words GIGO. (This is not including the Uechi folks that I've met).

Mike ,

Sanchin is hard to transmit ,show me some one who as had a easy time with it ,it should be universal ,but things can be distorted.
max ainley
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I still don't see why. So an open question to all who want to take a whack at it.

Think of me as a karate outsider, so in simple concrete terms that I could understand, describe...

What are the goals of Sanchin?

How are the goals reached?

How does someone know they achieved a goal?
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

MikeK wrote:I still don't see why. So an open question to all who want to take a whack at it.

Think of me as a karate outsider, so in simple concrete terms that I could understand, describe...

Mike ,

It should be interesting ,if folk chip in .

To create a series of ref points ,a Archetype that all system material can be poured, back to this Archetype ,if this Archetype is distorted over much it creates difficulty to see system material return back to its source ,when you can see this principle you have achieved a goal .
max ainley
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I sure hope lots of folks chip in Max. I'm always interested in how people teach core material.

Max, you've used Archetype before, but what exactly is it modeling and how does it get distorted?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Good questions, Mike. I'll get with you in a bit.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Thanks Bill, the more the merrier.

In all honesty I'm asking because I'm heading into teaching, God help everybody, and want to see how folks approach something core.
gmattson
Site Admin

Mike. . .

Post by gmattson »

I must have 30 dvd available that address basic core Uechi. If you e-mail me, I'll give you book 1 in a 4 book basic course I created a few years ago. A Shorin yondan spent a week with me taking private lessons to learn Uechi. I got permission from him to tape four hours of the course. . . which was an attempt to teach Uechi basics to a new student.

The course gets rave reviews from all who have purchased the series and may be what you are looking for as a new Uechi teacher. (Its an e-book series)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MikeK wrote:
In all honesty I'm asking because I'm heading into teaching, God help everybody, and want to see how folks approach something core.
Do it, Mike. It's the best way to achieve the next level of learning.

I've got your back. Knock on my door any time you want. We need more good teachers.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MikeK wrote:
  • To learn and then internalize good fighting mechanics. And these mechanics go layers deep. You practice it one layer at a time. The lessons are cumulative.
  • To study and practice martial postures.
  • To reduce all martial movements (for a particular style of fighting) to their lowest common denominator elements.
  • To help develop a physical and verbal language for said elements. This then is (or SHOULD be) used to teach the more complex movements. Ideally all complex movements can be broken down into a combination of the simple elements taught and practiced in Sanchin.

Watch me teach this way, Mike. Once you get how I do this, you can see the efficiency of teaching by a method. I say "combine this, that, and the other thing in this fashion with this intra-movement timing. Then go off and practice it 1000 times." If you are a good student, you can take notes and figure it out on your own. You're no longer tied to me in an unwanted economic relationship for each and every nuance that may or may not be important. I use Sanchin to teach you how to teach yourself.
  • To practice "moving meditation." Given the known neurohormonal responses to facing The Grim Reaper, having a method to practice autonomic control while doing martial movement becomes VERY important.
  • To teach someone how to manage perturbations on your psychological, physiological, and kinesiological system while doing martial movement (a.k.a. Sanchin "checking").
  • To teach yin/yang with simple martial choreography. In other words, you use Sanchin to master the art of patting the head while rubbing the belly - with no cross-talk. That pat-head-rub-belly demonstration becomes metaphor for many things in martial arts.
  • In Uechi Sanchin... Used as a tool box to do outside training (e.g. with the jars) important to developing strong hands. But not just strong hands as isolated tools. Sanchin methods teach a person how to have strong hands while moving in a hard/soft (yin/yang) body.
MikeK wrote:
By practicing first with a teacher, and then on one's own. The practice never ends.

One never stops working on the golf swing, does one? ;)
MikeK wrote:
They have achieved a goal when they find benefit in the process. They discover how process links to a desired outcome. Then they take that process and run with it.

It's not the destination; it's the journey.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Bill

Post by gmattson »

Excellent!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

MikeK wrote:I sure hope lots of folks chip in Max. I'm always interested in how people teach core material.

Max, you've used Archetype before, but what exactly is it modeling and how does it get distorted?

Mike ,I used the Archetype quite simply, it fits with why there is a Sanchin test ,each instructor is working to some type of model of what Sanchin Represents at their specific level ,his/her test will be obviously reflect this ,again to assist the student ,or impede progress ,quite simply because of a lack of understanding
Distorted, a very simple model of Sanchin in distorted form would be overly rigid when the Uechi model would be half hard half soft .
max ainley

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”