Netscape 4.5.1

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

All...

I just received Netscape Navigator in the mail a few moments ago.

I have been using solely Internet Explorer for awhile and out of curiosity loaded the new gift and looked at my site with it. Boy was I disappointed (Not at my site, of course), because Netscape really hasn't kept up in the state of the art, as far as I'm concerned, and to use it as a browser, to me, is really a large step down. Those who do use Netscape should really investigate and consider Internet Explorer.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

To not be able to view a site that is Jazzed up is to miss a treat. I wrote once that Microsoft was taking over the world. Now we eben watch MSN instead of CNN (The world as MS sees it).

They missed the boat with Java, Ada, and ATLAS, so they haven't captured all the territories -- yet.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Steve

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Steve »

Netscape 4.6 is available. Although it doesn't overcome all of 4.51's problems, it is a step up.

I still run both, but use Explorer 5.0 most of the time. Although as an amateur html writer (read hack), I will say that Netscape is much more forgiving than Explorer!

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Steve,

My opinion is that if you are writing raw HTML code then you are still better off writing it for the least forgiving denominator. I have fallen into and am still falling into traps writing for just one browser, but to use the WORST of the two as a primary development tool is counterproductive.
<hr>
Seeing nothing follows the above yet, I'll add this as PRO-IE. A few minutes ago I finished writing an application using Visual C++. This application uses the guts of IE as an Active-X Control and I set it up as a container to display my website in the left side of the screen and GEM's in the right. This is not the same as tables or frames, but two full-blown browsers positioned side-by side and running independently in one ap.

I would like to set up IE on the left and Netscape on the right, but I don't think the Netscape engine dll is available as an Active-X control. Netscape is fast fading into the horizon as a viable development tool for me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 06-09-99).]
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Good one, Steve; I deserved it. I was just having a field day w/Ns.

------------------

Kevin Mackie

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Steve, is IE 5.0 worth getting compared to 4.0? I don't write code HTML or such, just surf.

Allen, MS taking over the world??? scarey read on..

If Restaurants Functioned Like Microsoft

Patron: Waiter!
Waiter: Hi, my name is Bill, and I'll be your Support.
Waiter. What seems to be the problem?
Patron: There's a fly in my soup!
Waiter: Try again, maybe the fly won't be there this time.
Patron: No, it's still there.
Waiter: Maybe it's the way you're using the soup. Try eating it with a fork instead.
Patron: Even when I use the fork, the fly is still there.
Waiter: Maybe the soup is incompatible with the bowl. What kind of bowl are you using?
Patron: A SOUP bowl!
Waiter: Hmmm, that should work. Maybe it's a configuration problem. How was the bowl set up?
Patron: You brought it to me on a saucer. What has that to do with the fly in my soup?
Waiter: Can you remember everything you did before you noticed the fly in your soup?
Patron: I sat down and ordered the Soup of the Day!
Waiter: Have you considered upgrading to the latest Soup of the Day?
Patron: You have more than one Soup of the Day each day??
Waiter: Yes, the Soup of the Day is changed every hour.
Patron: Well, what is the Soup of the Day now?
Waiter: The current Soup of the Day is tomato.
Patron: Fine. Bring me the tomato soup, and the check. I'm running late now.

[waiter leaves and returns with another bowl of soup and the check]
Waiter: Here you are, Sir. The soup and your check.
Patron: This is potato soup.
Waiter: Yes, the tomato soup wasn't ready yet.
Patron: Well, I'm so hungry now, I'll eat anything.

[waiter leaves.]
Patron: Waiter! There's a gnat in my soup!
<><><><><>
The check:

Soup of the Day . . . . . . . . . . $5.00
Upgrade to newer Soup of the Day. . $2.50
Access to support . . . . . . . . . $1.00

Kevin
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Always bugs, Kevin. I wish real access to support was that cheap. [and dictionaries...]

------------------

Steve

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Steve »

Kevin - Allen is correct that IE 5.0 is an awesome browser and it allows for "bleading-edge" as well as leading-edge web applications.

I'm nowhere near Anthony's or Allen's level of proficiency on the computer - so I'm sincere in defering to their expertise. However I am making the change to IE 5.0 for these reasons:

1. Easier access to e-mail without needing to enter the web browser - via Microsoft Outlook.

2. Standardization & compatibility with my Microsoft Office software (Word97, Excel, PowerPoint,etc.)

3. In addition to Allen's recommendation, I was told to change to IE 5.0 by my university colleagues, especially in light of the web publishing capabilities of the forthcoming Microsoft Office2000 package.

I'll just have to learn to write better code, or wait until Office2000 comes out and does it for me! Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Muckrosoft Office2000

O no! One more wave to ride!

------------------
Steve

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Steve »

Sensei Moulton - I'll defer to your expertise and delete Netscape from my system! Looks as if I'll have to work smarter instead of harder Image. Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Tony,

Everytime I come out with a new design idea for a webpage, Netscape usually farts and is following Mosaic's path.

Ns is notoriously stinky with tables, DHTML, CSS, and Java, which are all advanced features. Forget the border commands with Ns. which doesn't recognize some of the properties of STANDARD HTML tags; I pulled the hair out of my head on the last go-around with my homepage which is table-based, CSS based, and DIV based.

------------------
Steve

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Steve »

Anthony - I didn't mean to imply that Netscape is more stable than IE. It is just that my experience has been that it seems to be more tolerant of my bad code writing skills. Not a shortcoming of IE as much as it is of my capabilities (began to teach myself web-authoring in March '99).

BTW - full page ad in today's Boston Globe announcing the product roll-out of Office2000! Maybe I'll send Bill Gates an invoice for my pre-release publicity Image. Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 06-10-99).]
Dakkon

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Dakkon »

Heheheh
And all the Virii/worms/trojans LOVE M$ products!
the latest ones takes full advantage of outlook
leadding edge features (read bugs)allow them to run unchecked.

I admit i love Outlook but still miss some things in Eudora. which eudora was unaffected by mellisa or worm.explorer.zip.exe (or what ever)
Any way, i agree and admit NS is SLOW and cumbersome in the html area and snazzy features but waitting 45 secs for a web page to load is a drag and i'll leave the site and go else where.
I too run ie 4/5 and Netscape 4.08 side by side. NS is my main browser as i only need IE 5 to get into M$.
Any way Office 2k is 97 with new icons ;-)

L8r
Chuck
Allen M.

Netscape 4.5.1

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Dakkon,

I'm not too enthusiastic about moving up (or down)to office 2000. It seems Word took a step down from Word 6 to Word 97 and I have to keep both up and running to resolve compatibility issues. Not interested in having a third version on the PC.

On Eudora vs Outlook. Outlook is ok. Usually where I go companies specify outlook. However Eudora is a much more flexible tool both from the user standpoint and from the developer's vantage.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 06-17-99).]

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”