OPEN HAND

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

hthom

Re: OPEN HAND

Post by hthom »

Palm strikes are my favorite. Here is a clip I recently posted on the IUKF FaceBook page (Don't know if copy and paste is the way to show it here but here I go---)

International Uechi-Ryu Karate Federation

Published by Henry Thom · June 26 at 9:43pm ·

"If you want to do it right, this is how you do it".--- (quote from a TV commercial.)
The subject here is Palm Strikes.
Bas Rutten is on top of my best MMA fighters list for the last 30 years or so. He competed back in the days of bare knuckle fighting.
I am showing this video mostly to demonstrate to my students the effectiveness of the palm strike, a Uechi Ryu favorite, which is kind of difficult to demonstrate in the dojo. ("Why not just punch him?" Heard that many times....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITHsqi5Uk8

(Congratulations to your promotion, by the way :-) )

Henry

The Absolute Best of Bas Rutten

Fighting clips where the best mma fighter and legend Bas rutten kicks some ass. I do not claim ownership over the music or video, this is for entertainment p...

youtube.com
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Thank you Henry - congrats to you as well. "Why not just punch him"? Because I hit to the head, much harder with an open hand. It's as simple as that. ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: OPEN HAND-CLOSE QUARTER

Post by Art Rabesa »

If you check out all the above posts and links, you'll detect one very obvious detail. The hand stays open on all the strikes. One thing that is also very important when real close, is your ability to grab and strike. In most of my infighting lessons, I like to teach the grab and strike. This allows you to keep the target tight to the impact. There is no slipping or moving away from your strikes. The grab and strike have to be done in one piece. That means that the grab, and slight inward tug, and strike are done together. This is why this method works on the ground as well. When you are in close, you do not want the target to be moving all over the place. The ability to grab and deliver numerous strikes with the free hand is essential. Most of these strikes will occur with the open hand, as displayed in the videos in the above posts. SO!!! practice this grab - strike method for more success when close. ------Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is a great example of an open hand strike. The spinning back fist is a strong strike, but this one just might hit harder. This baby can be delivered from very close or at a greater distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDJ9NbAaYg -------------------- I like it when I'm grabbing and striking with one hand. It comes off the elbow strike like a whip. It follows the hook punch easily. You have to have this strike in your arsenal. Check it out. -------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: OPEN HAND--90%

Post by Art Rabesa »

When I look closer at the open hand in Uechi Ryu, I find that the great majority of strikes and blocks are with the open hand. Other than the punch, everything else is done with the open hand. I look at the closed hand for body blows mostly. I have demonstrated head punches, but I much prefer the open hand above the shoulders. The other important element of the open hand is in blocking. I know that many like to close their hand when performing any down block, especially for front kicks. I can understand that, and taught it that way for beginning students. We all want an element of safety. However, there comes a time when you realize how much faster this block is with the open hand. Keeping the fingers out of the way is done by using the wrist on impact followed by the hand. With practice, this becomes quite easy. The hand really doesn't make contact on blocks. The arm does. Therefore, keeping the hand open allows for crisper and faster blocks. Getting to that attack quickly is the key. Keeping the hand open is much quicker than with a closed hand. All the elbow - ulna - radius- backhand - ridge hand - palm - wrist strikes are with the open hand. Any time I hit with the closed hand, I keep an open hand right up to the point of impact. About an inch or two before impact, I close the hand. The main reason is the speed of the hand. I believe strongly in speed = power. Try it. Keep the hand closed in delivering your punch. Now keep the hand open until the last possible second. This might take a little practice first. You'll see the difference right away. Try the closed and open hand in blocking. The crisp, snapping movement of your arm is not accomplished with the closed hand. It is with an open hand. The open hand allows for faster, stronger strikes and blocks - PERIOD. Kata is done with mostly open hands. A few punches but mostly open hands. Remember this concerning punching. The hand stays open for the majority of the time when punching. Use my videos for reference here. You'll see that the hand closes just before contact. All infighting is open hand. The quick arcing hands clearing the way for the open hand strikes. Speed and tightness are needed in close. This can only be accomplished by keeping your hands open. Uechi Ryu is without a doubt, an open hand style.-----Happy Trails----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyZedk8-ww
I've shown this video before. However, it does show the open hand to closed hand strike. It also illustrates the "Rock In The Sock" method of striking. Closing the hand almost at the impact zone. This is not just for close quarter but for any punch. Even if you are delivering your punch from a distance, the rock in the sock method still applies. This soft to hard method is a must in your blocking as well. I see a video lesson on that coming up. I have a list of lessons I want to show. I hope I can get them all done. I'll try. -----Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Great example of explosive body torque and compression, Art.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

The compression stems from "Time On Target". When striking in this manner, it will allow the hand to stay on the hitting surface longer. This results in a deeper penetration of the strike. When there are other strikes following quickly, it can result in a lot of damage. I work this method always. Glad you spotted that Van. Not many see that.
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I like the "Rock In The Sock" method of striking analogy.
Van
Art Rabesa

Re: OPEN HAND - CLOSED HAND

Post by Art Rabesa »

I have been asked about the power of the open hand as it relates to the closed hand. This has been discussed in some past posts. It really depends on who is striking with that open hand. When you can strike with the open hand properly, it is devastating. It may not penetrate the body as much as a closed hand but it will cause a wider range of shock. When done correctly, the open hand expands the velocity of the blow. Like a single round vs. a shot gun shell. My main preference to the open hand is two fold. It can be delivered faster with more comfort. It has more stopping ability. I can deliver them in a rapid fire barrage easier. I will close my hand for strikes but not often. The whip like action of the open hand delivery, lends itself to the explosive impact. However, it doesn't aid you unless you really have an understanding of the open hand. You might view my lesson videos on you tube for help here.---------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”