WinterFest 2022

Here's the place to offer suggestions for future SummerFests & WinterFests, talk about past events, post pictures and videos or share experiences from past Fests.

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

WinterFest 2022

Post by gmattson »

This is my first new post on the old Uechi Forums in years. Social Media redirected many of us from the coming here to discuss topics and explore other topics of interest penned by others. I don't know about you, but I am more than tired of Facebook and other popular programs of conversation and decided to see what can be done to rehabilitate the old Forums to see what can be done to once again make it a great place to visit and converse.

Since I am a moderator for "WinterFest", I decided to post my first topic which just so happens to be WinterFest 2022.

ALL RANKS, ALL MARTIAL ARTIST ARE WELCOME
2022 Uechi-ryu WinterFest
March 25,26 &27
https://store.fastcommerce.com/EasternA ... 45b-c.html!

Winterfest History:

When Susan and I moved to Florida, we missed many of our former students and thought it would be a great idea to offer a "mini" WinterFest here in Florida.

Before moving to Florida,  I held a WinterFest at a Judo dojo in Orlando where 15 people showed up.  After a few years, we tried one in West Palm Beach, which provided great fishing opportunities, but little else. After moving to Florida,  we started having WinterFest in Mount Dora. Fantastic warm weather, great restaurants, galleries, many lakes and a beautiful building that hosted our small but growing group.

During the next few events, we experimented with different size halls and a number of great restaurants for our Friday and Saturday dinners. WinterFest kept growing and in 2021 we committed to a huge hall in a neighboring town which we believed  would become a permanent home for WinterFest. Of course the Covid pandemic had other plans and we ended up cancelling the event.

Here in Florida, we have been fortunate, during this last quarter,  with very low infection rates and with reasonable government interference and. . . with a record number of inquiries relating to the fate of WinterFest.

Susan and I talked it over and decided to conduct a 2022 event, which has been scheduled for March 25 and26 and a special weapons class for Sunday, (27th). I've also promised all my Mattson Academy Uechi-ryu Virtual Dojo members a special Sunday morning class  as well.

I will be creating a special WinterFest Newsletter this week, for all who have signed up for the event. Also, Susan has established a sizable discount for those who register before March 1st.

As usual, there will be a golf tournament on Thursday, at a new course to be determined. Also, be sure to let us know if you plan on participating.

Friday and Saturday evening we plan on continuing the evening gathering at local restaurants. Please let us know on you reservation application if you will be attending and if you will have any guests with you.

Last WinterFest Patty Dando and Susan looked up the best lodging opportunities and will be posting them in my newsletters. 

Don't forget to make your travel arrangements early and remember. . . What a fantastic opportunity and location for a Winter vacation. We hope to see many of our N.E. friends take advantage of an opportunity to get out of the cold and enjoy a visit to sunny, warm Florida.

Our Winterfest philosophy remains that we provide a place where a diverse group of Uechi-ryu practitioners are able to meet and share their training experiences and understanding of the art, with likeminded students of all levels. At WinterFest we are all teachers and all students - Egos are left at home during our pursuit of understanding and  exploring new applications of our beloved art.

Rules are simple.  Enjoy the weather and comradery, while maintaining an open mind while learning new understandings and methods relating to the core exercises, kata, bunkai, kumite and applications of Uechi-ryu.

WinterFest - A time to recharge our interest, motivations and goals, while meeting new friends and "catching up" with old friends.

Plan to "Train Often - Train Smart" at 2022 WinterFest in Florida!

Regards,

George Mattson
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: WinterFest 2022

Post by gmattson »

Update. . .

Susan is working on the Winterfest details and we should have a working application by Monday, November 22.

Thanks
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Fests_News”