Hello

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

mr_nv_

Hello

Post by mr_nv_ »

Hey Everyone!

I'm in the Chicago area looking for an Uechi Ryu school. Read both Uechi-Ryu Zankai books last year and feel in love with the living philosophy of movement this style of Karate has.

I currently have a ble belt in BJJ and also train Judo and feel Uechi-Ryu will compliment these styles perfectly.The philosophy is very similar to the philosophy Jigoro Kano laid out for Judo and compliments it well. Any other Chicago area practioneers feel free to reach out as I'm definitely looking for a school.
emattson

Re: Hello

Post by emattson »

Jigoro Kano, the pioneer of international sport, is the founder of Judo. He was born 1860 in the Settsu Province, Japan. He's a teacher type, whom I admire. He opposed Japanese militarism. What's interesting is that Kano, while attending the Tokyo Imperial University, had trouble defeating Fukushima Kanekichi in matches. He tried various sumo techniques without success. Eventually, he tried a ("fireman's carry") technique he learned from a book on western wrestling. He won.

Ju-Jutsu and Judo were among the first Japanese martial arts to gain widespread international recognition, and the first to become an official Olympic sport.

Judo is a fine martial arts. Welcome aboard.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Member Introductions”