Locating a Karate Teacher or Dojo!

Locate a teacher or instructor in your area. Also a forum for posting information about your new or unpublicized dojo.

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

Locating a Karate Teacher or Dojo!

Post by gmattson »

Now that the Uechi forums are back and many people visit here every day, it is now possible again, to post both your dojo's location and the fact that you are looking for a place to study.

Good luck!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Seizan

Re: Locating a Karate Teacher or Dojo!

Post by Seizan »

Great!

Can you post a handy link to the Dojo List page? I can't seem to locate it on the site...

Thanks!
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Hi Seizan:

Pleased to see that you have visited the Forums yesterday (16th of Aug). Just checked the numbers (bottom of site) and there were 141 currently visiting! During the many years of Covid dormancy and popularity of social media, I would drop in and no matter what time, was pleased that the site was being viewed by 50+ people. Since there weren't any active discussions, I had to believe our beloved Forums was being used as a library of interesting discussions dating back 20 or more years.

Regarding the search for our extensive rank/titles/locations program that was created by one of the early administrator and included rank data from 1958 until the mid 1990s. Unfortunately, the program was created in an a now obsolete computer language and so far, we haven't been able to access or transfer the data to a new format.

Our goal now, is to continue interesting old discussions and the creation of new topics. If you searched for topic, chances are the experts of the 90s explored it and await a renewed exploration by the current and future warriors.

Looking forward to seeing Seizan here often. Certainly as one of Uechi-ryu most knowledgeable teacher, author and practitioner, I'm sure everyone would be most thankful.

Regards,
George
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
emattson

Post by emattson »

I have extensive experience in converting all types of data and am familiar with SQL, C#, and Foxpro. I have MS SQL Server installed on my home PC to allow me to process complex databases. I'm learning JavaScript. It may be possible for me to write a JavaScript program using the filter() method to query a list of rank/titles/locations. It depends on if the https://uechi-ryu.com/ web site supports coding in JavaScript and other limitations. I already completed writing a quick JavaScript query program in HubSpot to help an organization in Quincy and they like it.

Maybe I can help.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Mattson Sensei, thank you for the kind words. However, I am still just plodding along (perhaps I can be an inspiration to other plodders).

Erik, maybe you can post a prominently-placed "front page" request that anyone who wants their dojo to be listed in the new dojo/website database, to please provide the required information (maybe provide a simple online form to fill out). As I recall, many of the sites and dojo on the old listing were out-of-date, closed, inactive, etc. Probably best to simply build a new database, and folks can send you the information to add if they wish to be found...

Just a thought.
emattson

Post by emattson »

I can go through all the posts in this group and use Google search to verify if the dojo still exists.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

If you don't have them in the Archives, I have the complete old dojo/website listing on file here in my PC, and the complete BB Registry list, though it seems to be an alphabetical listing only (not by rank or date, I think). If you wish, I can send both lists for you to rearrange and verify, etc. Just let me know.
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

By the way, there was a posting on the history of Uechi Kanbun Sensei (somethng like "The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi", maybe?). It seems to have disappeared. May I ask where it went?
emattson

Post by emattson »

Seizan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:37 am By the way, there was a posting on the history of Uechi Kanbun Sensei (somethng like "The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi", maybe?). It seems to have disappeared. May I ask where it went?
Don't know how, but apparently the permissions were changed so only admin could see them. Fixed so all registered people can read them. Thanks for reporting this problem.
Erik

- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Seizan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:39 am If you don't have them in the Archives, I have the complete old dojo/website listing on file here in my PC, and the complete BB Registry list, though it seems to be an alphabetical listing only (not by rank or date, I think). If you wish, I can send both lists for you to rearrange and verify, etc. Just let me know.
Don't know how useful that may be since they are old and many academies probably closed, especially after the dreadful Covid 2020. People can now easily Google karate academies near them complete with reviews. If George and you are still interested in publishing the list, I'll be happy to add it, removing the closed schools.
Erik

- John Adams

Return to “Locate a Teacher or Dojo”