Fuzhou Suparinpei

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ron

It is true that most of us were at camp over the long weekend. Sorry you misunderstood the silence. I was going to post something that warned of my absence, but the Internet and/or my latest version of Internet Explorer were acting up in the last day before I left.

First of all, Simon told me that the Chinese name of the form was yi bai ling ba bu, or 108 steps. These are the same characters as suparinpei with the addition of the final "steps" character.

I've heard all kinds of explanations for the significance of the number. The most reasonable I have heard is that there are 108 steps to enlightenment in the Buddhist religion, and so the name was popular as a final statement in a martial arts system. The other kata names with numbers (seisan, seiryu, sanseiryu, etc) have similar connections to the religion and are similarly used as a common name for forms. Thus, there are really no similarities between the Uechi and Goju sanseiryu (I have done both), or the Goju suparinpei and this form I am practicing.

Simon was aware of the history and allegations of the fourth (lost) kata of the system. He stumbled on these folks and the form while in China, but learned it as a Goju practitioner with knowledge that the Uechi folk might be interested in the historical connection. He came to Boston and George Mattson filmed him doing the form (with lots of hesitations and variations) from several directions. I originally learned a version of the form off this recording. Subsequently Simon did more study of the form in China, and then I met him at a camp about 5 years ago. He cleaned up a lot of my misunderstandings of the form caused by learning it via a poor-quality recording, and made further corrections based on his additional studies. I believe I do the form pretty close to the way Simon does it now, with the caveat that my background is a bit different and so my emphasis will naturally differ. Last time I saw him, he made two corrections in a form that takes 3 minutes to do at full speed.

There are differences between the way Simon and I do the form. Being both a Uechi and Goju practitioner, I can see where his Goju background may have crept in and expressed itself in the way he performs the kata. I naturally have my own way of viewing the world, and obviously Evan is in another dimension. I have attempted to ascribe specific postures to what is being done (call the stances by stance names), whereas Simon just does things and has you copy them. My purpose, of course, was to create a language of communication so the form could be transcribed to paper as well as be filmed. Obviously stylistic variance will creep in during the translation process. In one e-mail exchange I had with Simon, he was a bit upset because someone told him (obviously a Fuzhou suparinpei authority Image ) that I was "Uechifying" the form. But then Simon himself told me that all the students of "the old man" were doing the form different, and "the old man" didn't seem to care. Furthermore, he noted that significant changes had happened between his two visits. At first Simon thought that maybe they were collectively teasing him, or playing "hide the ball" with the form. And yes...one of the kyusho people at camp gave me this story about how old masters would never teach you THE form that had all the deadly moves in them and were generations old, yada, yada, yada. But Simon came to a very different understanding. Apparently their (the Fuzhou) idea of a form is quite different from our own. The Fuzhou folk practice their forms like jazz music, whereas the Okinawans tend to think of their own (or whatever snapshot in time they got when studying in China) as pieces of classical music. So change and personal expression was EXACTLY the point. I pointed that out to Simon in my mail exchange with him. Go look at George's first filming of Simon doing the form. I guarantee you the way he does it now is dramatically different (in the what as well as the how). I know it is because I have seen him at several points in time, and he readily admits that the Chinese change it all the bloody time. Anyhow...Simon just wanted me to stay in touch. And whenever I can, I readily pay my respects to him for starting me on the journey of this form.

I see this in one of Ron's posts. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
It is said Kanbun Sensei did know a fourth kata but it was not Suparempei.
Actually my best sources disagree somewhat on this. Tomoyose Ryuko will tell you from now until the day he dies that there are only three forms in the Uechi system. And by the strict definition of Uechi ryu...he has a point. However many other written sources (refer to Mattson's Uechiryu Karatedo and Dollar's Secrets of Uechi Ryu Karate) refer to a suparinpei form that Kanbun at least saw if not practiced. I was having a forum discussion about this with Gordi Breyette, and he was adamant about the fact that there was no fourth form. Well he is now studying with Toyama Seiko, the only living student of Uechi Kanbun. Gordi went to him to prove his point....only to be told that there was indeed a suparinpei and Kanbun had actually worked with it (to some degree). As I recall, Toyama told Gordi that Kanbun just chose not to teach it. Kanbun likely gave a different reason each time someone asked. If you've ever tried to learn the form (and if they are indeed the same), you'd probably see why Kanbun gave up on it. It's extremely long, and difficult to do. It is not for everyone, and certainly not necessary to learn to be a good fighter.

Is this THE lost form? See my discussion above about how the Fuzhou folks view forms. Whether it is or not, the point is moot. You will probably never see exactly what Kanbun saw. All I can tell you is that this form and Uechi ryu have common origins, and I can point out many of the similarities and fascinating contrasts.

Enough for now...

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited August 15, 2000).]
Evan Pantazi

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Kyoshi,

Glasheen Sensei gifted a video of this Kata which was sent to you yesterday. The moves you describe are all in this Kata.

I have been practicing this form just over a year now and the similarity in feel and intent are abundant throughout this Kata. With this in mind I feel it's study will enhance the Sanchin, Seisan and Sanseiru.

In any event it is a major Kata from the Orient that warrants deeper investigation and I salute Glasheen Sensei for his tenacity in this project.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho

[This message has been edited by Evan Pantazi (edited August 16, 2000).]
Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Evan

Sorry I haven't addressed you directly yet in this discussion. I appreciate your work on the form, and welcome your unique perspective. While we may differ on our view of underlying principles of physiology, your Chinese medicine perspective is vital because it is the identical perspective of some that hail from the Fuzhou region. To deny it is to commit a huge anthropologic faux pas. And in the end, you and I often look at the same thing and agree it is important - even if for different reasons.

I found your comment about the opening move interesting. I don't know if you know this, but I spent a bit of time practicing Nei Gung in 1983 from a visiting Chinese professor (Dr. Liu) who was at UVa. The experience was useful, even if my understanding of what was going on was different from hers. The posture meditation was a key piece of the practice of this "chi" development (for lack of a better word Image ).

Ron

Yes that's the one.

The cross-legged posture is one of the most difficult in the form for me and most that attempt the form. I limit the number of times per day that I do it, as it almost requires one to do a deep, one-legged squat. It took several years, but I can now do it without falling on my a$$. Also, I cannot do it on a hard wooden floor without shoes on, as it requires one to supinate and roll your weight over the side of the foot and onto the ankles. I've got this bone that sticks out on the side of my foot that gets very upset when I try this on a hard floor. With shoes on, it's not a big deal. And interestingly enough, I'll bet the Chinese also do this and other forms clad with their black shoes.

The strike on the floor is essentially a shoken strike (as opposed to thrust) done similar to the way you see White Eyebrow practitioners perform a shoken. One slaps the shoken palm down on the target and rolls to the tip. Obviously you want to limit the roll when doing this on the floor. My take on the application (to steal a Tony Blauer phrase) is that it is an example of NTNW (Nearest Target, Nearest Weapon). If confronted in the seated (cross-legged) position, one can shoken the foot of the attacker and then spring gracefully up into a stance.

The jumping kicks were always a bit of a puzzle to me. This is a Fuzhou form, and yet in places you see moves that seem typically of northern China origin. While I was happy to reach into my past experiences in martial arts and find I could still do the techniques, I wondered what it was all about. Then last Saturday evening at camp (Aug 13, 2000), George had me do a demo as part of the evening festivities. I performed the form at that event. Later on, two students of Bob Kaiser came up to me and asked me an interesting question. Apparently the two of them had spent time earlier in the day working with a Chinese martial artist who was showing them northern and southern ways of doing things. In some cases, he was showing a northern attack and the southern response. Well one of the women told me that viewing the form that evening was like listening to a piece of classical music where there were two competing themes. She asked me if I thought that perhaps the choreographer meant to put in common northern techniques in the form and then the southern response to those techniques. That'll take a long time to digest but...very interesting!

Is this a significant contribution to the system? All I can say is that the form has helped me in the most general way. If you do sanchin in isolation of any other techniques or natural fighting, one tends to do it like a robot. Even the Uechi Ryu sanseiryu that demands vertical movement of the center and shifting of the center in deeper stances looks stiff in many practitioners. The tendency can be for a Uechi practitioner to freeze the body and do everything with the upper body only. This form seems to do a good job of unlocking that, and teaching the practitioner how to move from technique to technique. From a body mechanics sense, it is a brilliant piece of work. And it is taking me years to live up to its potential.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited August 16, 2000).]
Joe Swift

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Joe Swift »

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't been posting recently...

Interesting, this.

With regards to "Pangai-noon" as brought up by "Kusanku" (hey, nice to see you here too!), please read the following article by my good friend and colleague Mario McKenna:
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/4784/uechihist.html

With regards to the "Fuzhou Suparinpei" Mario-san also has the first 20 or so movements of the Fujian Tiger version of Suparinpei up, here:
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/4784/Suparempei.html

Have fun, and I hope this helps your research! ;-)

joe swift
Okinawa Shoreiryu
Mushinkan Dojo
Kanazawa, Japan
Evan Pantazi

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Opening move: Right steps into a low Horse Stance at a 45 degree angle with Right Shoken under a left palm.

1. A Shoken delivers a downward energy.

2. The left palm is not only an assist to add further energetics into the attack, but also as a simultaneous attack to another point with the head of the Ulna comonly termed Palm Heal.

3. The first point of attack is CV-14 (alarm point of the Heart) this plexus has a nerve root that is best attacked down and in ata 45 degree angle...(coincidence?). (Fire Meridian)

4. The second point of attack is the K-21 just across from the CV-14 on the underneth of the cartiledge of the ribs, angle and direction up and in at a 45 degree angle (still think the stance is coincidental?). Water Meridian)

5. The Water Meridian intensifies the attack on the Fire Meridian (CV-14)....

6. Test it for yourself and note effects:
a. Strike CV-14 straight in.
b. Strike down and in same pressure.
c. Strike K-21 as metioned wuth CV-14.

Post results, please.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't get these sites to load. Anyone else have success?
kusanku

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by kusanku »

Joe Swift says:'Nice to see you here , too!'

Oh, Hey, Hi Joe!Feeling is mutual, guess you get around too, glad to see you on here, my friend.Your research and information are always priceless.

Glad to see you on board.

Everyone, Joe is a real good guy, and has some really good information.Best I've ever seen.

Kusanku
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Image Haisai (Okinawan for "Hello"),

Sorry for not posting a reply sooner but my computer was on the blink. All is back in order and I'm glad to be back "on the air"

Evan-San: Thank you for sending me the video of this form. Your kindness and assistance to my research will not go unrewarded. I can see our combined research and ideas having a big impact within the near future!

Bill-San: Thank you for this video also. It is the same form that I have footage of Simon Lailey demonstrating and it is, in my opinion, a very important historical and practical form of interest to ALL martial arts practitioners. It contains an abundance of Crane-Fist and Tiger-Fist techniques and concepts which leads me to believe that it is quite old and very unique. I will be studying it very closely in the future. as for "Uechifying" the form, well I think that the form is at the core of the Uechiryu system and besides, each of us brings something of ourselves to every form we learn (Shu-Ha-Ri).

I will be posting more about this form on this forum in the near future.

Once again a big thank you to you all for assisting my research.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Dear Swift Sensei,

Could you please re-post the URL's for the two sites especially the one concerning the illustrations for the "Fuzhou Suparenpei" as I like Bill, could not get it to load properly.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
dmsdc

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by dmsdc »

So far, the site only works on my
Netscape Communicator. It will
not run on my Internet Explorer browser.

Perhaps this will help.

Dana Sheets
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Thanks for the info guys! Image

I did manage to get the site to load and after reviewing the animated sequences of illustrations it is obvious that while some basic similarities exist, we are talking about two different forms.

The Fuzhou Suparinpei of Lailey Sensei in mention is markedly different in many areas. This is of course to be expected as family lineages differ greatly as does the same form handed down within the same line.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Joe Swift

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Joe Swift »

Hello all,

Kusanku wrote:
> Oh, Hey, Hi Joe!Feeling is mutual, guess you get around too, glad to see you on here, my friend.Your research and information are always priceless. Glad to see you on board.
Everyone, Joe is a real good guy, and has some really good information.Best I've ever seen. <

Thank you for your kind words and support, coming from a senior like yourself, they are trule humbling Image

Goninan Sensei called me:
> Dear Swift Sensei <

Please, call me Joe. I do not consider myself a "sensei" of anything...

Goninan Sensei further wrote:
> I did manage to get the site to load and after reviewing the animated sequences of illustrations it is obvious that while some basic similarities exist, we are talking about two different forms. The Fuzhou Suparinpei of Lailey Sensei in mention is markedly different in many areas. This is of course to be expected as family lineages differ greatly as does the same form handed down within the same line. <

I am sure that you are aware of the dynamics of "how" and "why" kata/xing change from person to person.

I propose that the difference with the Goju kata called Suparinpei is because they are from two different lineages.

I have no idea about the lineage of Mr. Lailey's Fuzhou Suparinpei.

All I can say is that the book that features the Southern Tiger Suparinpei as shown on Mario-san's web site (which was given to me by Hokama Tetsuhiro when I stayed at his home/dojo in 1997) specifically states that this is the kata/xing as passed down through Zhou Zi He's lineage, and that Uechi Kanbun was a student of Zhou.

It is entirely possible that, as Zhou was also known as a crane boxer in addition to his tiger boxing, that he knew two or more kata/xing called "108"...

As Mario-san says, it is up to the reader / viewer to make up their mind Image

Thanks for your input.

Joe Swift
Kanazawa, Japan
Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

In the interview that George Mattson has of Simon Lailey after the filming of this form, Simon gives his perspective on the name. To paraphrase Simon, it was "fashionable" to have a "108" form (and a 36 form and a 13 form...) as part of your system. Thus there are indeed many 108 forms out there from China with no similarities whatsoever. I know I have seen the Goju suparinpei and it looks nothing like the form Simon learned. Similarly I learned a Goju sanseiryu (36) and it looked absolutely nothing like the Uechi sanseiryu.

As to who is the author of what form in what lineage...I'm not the history buff. Image

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I just successfully loaded the site that was referred to by Joe Swift that shows the first 20 movements.

I cannot speak of the body of knowledge that Zhou Zhi He knew. And frankly many of us are skeptical as to the exact history of Uechi Kanbun, who he studied from, and what the origin is of his three kata (sanchin, seisan, sanseiryu). However I can say with confidence that the first 20 movements of this form on that web page do not look like part of the body of knowledge that Kanbun taught. Here are the things that I see are very different:

* The stances are pretty much all deep. The Uechi system only temporarily goes into deep stances when doing takedowns, elbow thrusts, or leg catches.

* The 108 form here has stepping punches off the front foot. The entire Uechi system is based on the concept of delivering power techniques off the rear arm as in the Uechi sanchin kata. The 108 form on that web page looks like something that has closer links to the Shorin line of martial arts.

* There are no closed-fisted techniques in the original three Uechi kata. This 108 form on that web page is replete with closed-fisted punches.

So...interesting form, but it doesn't have the "Uechi Kanbun feel." That doesn't mean that Kanbun's instructor never did it - if it was indeed done by the same man.

- Bill
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

I keep looking at the form in question and I keep getting the feeling that it is in many ways connected to the Crane-Fist systems than that of Tiger Boxing. Their are several signature postures or techniques within this form that indicate a very strong "Crane" connection. The essence of the form also points in this direction.

I'd love it if someone "out there" could send me a copy of the entire footage of Simon Lailey demonstrating and discussing this form so that I could make a better investigation. My address is:-

9 Short Street
Wellington. NSW. 820
AUSTRALIA

I get the feeling that this form is of importance not only historically but from a martial perspective.

It warrants deeper investigation,research and discussion on forums such as this.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”