Talk about Taichi

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Adam

Talk about Taichi

Post by Adam »

As the sequel to "Talk about Taekwondo..."
What do y'all think about Taichi? Talk about it. Share ideas. What do you think of the techniques, principles... etc...

I'll pipe in after everyone else gets their saying. I just started taking taichi, on top of my Uechi class, so I'm not exactly an expert on the art.

Adam
raulf7

Talk about Taichi

Post by raulf7 »

I know nothing about Tai Chi accept of what I have seen on TV.

But ... its interesting to note that Kanazawa 10th Dan of Shotokan fame (3 times All Japan Champ)is very involved in Tai Chi

If you havent heard of him heres a link
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/palmer_jim/Kanazawa.html
Rick Wilson

Talk about Taichi

Post by Rick Wilson »

While I have not studied Taiji, I have training partners (Uechika) who do. I read a great deal about the mechanics of it and watch videos. We often discuss and work on the mechanics and how we can make things more effective.

My friends study under Mr. Joseph Chen who is a Chen stylist here in Edmonton (his school is just down the street from mine). I have had the pleasure of having Joseph teach a seminar at my spring camp (next one end of April folks) and he is a phenomenal martial artist.

I find many similarities in some of the moves to Uechi movements, although, clearly the styles are drastically different, but the mechanics can be very useful.

I believe there is much to be gained from learning the mechanics of Taiji. The use of rooting, sinking etc. along with the proper use of the knees and Qwa. Much (not all) karate is limited to horizontal movement of the hips and does not tap into the additional vertical potential of spiral power.

I personally feel there is a stronger connection to the mechanics of Hsing I Chuan than Taiji -- see an earlier thread for many good comments on that subject.

One of the main differences I see is that Uechi Ryu is a more direct to the point fighting system (thus more similar to Hsing I Chuan). Our kata are short and we do not repeat many movements. It is almost as if the kata creator decided if you needed to do more of that move, then do the kata again.

So while I can see a great benefit to studying Taiji under a martial artist (more on that in a moment) I would rercommend doing so once there is a strong grounding in Uechi first. Personally I doubt it would replace my Uechi, I'm a simple straight to the point kind of guy.

You should make sure the person you train Taiji with is a martial artist. Many have learned Taiji strictly for health benefits and have no knowledge of the martial side. From my viewpoint this means their alignments can be incorrect and they would have no way to know, let alone know why.

Uechi Ryu originated in China and did not leave there all that long ago (in martial arts time), therefore looking into the Chinese martial arts can give you a good perspective on one approach to Uechi Ryu. From that stand point alone researching Taiji would be beneficial to your Uechi Ryu studies.

Rick
Victor

Talk about Taichi

Post by Victor »

Adam,

With 28 years in Isshinryu and 25 years in Yang Tai Chi Chaun perhaps I can give some perspective.

The study of Tai Chi is potentially as vast (if not vaster) than the Okinawan arts. But, it does take time to accomplish anything in any system

The prime requisite is 1. A great teacher to guide you in your study 2. Real practice time 3. Patience as there are no short cuts in the study.

I find Yang as definately influenced my Isshinryu studies, but then Isshinryu has influenced my Tai Chi studies, too, although in vastly differing ways.

The one thing I would suggest is that you clearly separate your training should you practice both. For one thing, while it is possible to warm up with Tai Chi and then do karate, it is almost impossible to really do the reverse.

Sincerely,
Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu www.funkydragon.com/bushi

PS I like Tai Chi so much I've been teaching it outside on my driveway every Sunday morning for the past 16 or so years, Winter and Summer and everything inbetween. Frankly Tai Chi is severved best at a crispy -20 degrees.
paul giella

Talk about Taichi

Post by paul giella »

T'ai Chi has certainly withstood the test of time, with some scholars claiming its origins go back 700 years. That alone tells me they must be doing something right! I play around with Wu style t'ai chi, as taught to me by Harvey Leibergott, a student of Calvin Chin's for the past three years. I use the phrase "play around" intentionally... after thirty-five years of deep study in Uechi-ryu the last thing I need in my life is another orthodoxy. By which I do not demean either Uechi-ryu or t'ai chi - two great systems - but rather to say that I personally reserve my serious study time for Uechi-ryu, and my t'ai chi time for easy relaxation. I'll never be much of a t'ai chi expert this way, but I do enjoy it, and it has taught me some cross-over lessons about weight shifting.
crazycat

Talk about Taichi

Post by crazycat »

I also perform Wu Style tai chi chuan with it's 108 movements, it is very relaxing compared to my other material, mantis and kempo.
NEB

Talk about Taichi

Post by NEB »

Hi all,

My first real experiences in the martial arts were doing T'aiji and ch'i gung. Essentially, T'aiji sprang from ch'i gung by applying shaolin movements and dim mak techniques to a ch'i developing form. Its very advances stuff, and rarely usefull for self defense (rarely but not never).

Actually, the teacher who ran the T'aiji class I got into is also my karate teacher ...his original background was karate, and discovered the internal martial arts later on. I think it helps to learn from someone who understands the art in its martial application.

Some very applicable concepts include involving all of body when executing a strike. Punching from a relaxed state, keeping the weight sunk and explosively focusing at the point of impact is where true power comes from as I understand it. T'aiji completely embraces this ... every movement comes from shifting the weight from leg to leg and from the spiraling power.

Anyway, those are some observations.
NEB

Talk about Taichi

Post by NEB »

oh, let me just explain my above comment about T'aiji being rarely useful in fighting.

I think that if you study the art for say, seven years or so, and take on a skilled seven-year karate student/practitioner you'd get trounced. The practice of T'aiji can make you rooted, lending a heavy and weighted pounding aspect to your punches, but without any practice using punches you wouldn't do too well.

Of course, T'aiji can also make you fast ... lightening fast ... I've seen people move like a virtual blurr, their whole body snapping and coiling in response to dropping a candy-bar ... but without learning the dynamics of free-sparring or real-life street fighting its of some but little help.

Very deep topic, here.

I guess, as one previous post stated, it helps to have a teacher who is a good martial artist. One name that comes to mind, in fact, is Erle Montaigue ... if anyone knows anything about him I'd be interested in comparing thoughts.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”