Black Belt by Mail

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Raffi Derderian

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Well, I have heard it is going on. This link was sent to me by a student.
It is sad what martial arts has come to. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1827379340
A former teacher of mine once got his dog a rank from one of these types of guys. The certificate used to hang in his dojo.
Raf

------------------
www.derderian-academy.com
KarateKid

Black Belt by Mail

Post by KarateKid »

I guess there would be a reason to get a black belt by mail... because there's nobody around to train you.

My first feeling would be DON'T DO IT! It's not 'real'. But what is real?

What if you took what you knew from those tapes and practiced with someone and became an expert at it. Well, then you became a person worthy of a black belt if you fulfill the requirements it takes to pass the black belt test.

THe problem is, you can't ask questions or gain insight from first hand experience. Now if the 'master' who is instructing on the tapes answers all questions in his teachings, maybe the tapes are worth it.

Here's an example that might be similar.

A fellow black belt lost her dojo and her teacher many years ago due to financial problems. The school folded and left the students with nothing.

She trained, as a BLUE BELT (two steps to getting her Brown Belt) in her garage.

She worked on everything she knew in order to get her Green Belt. Two year later she was able to contact her Black Belt instructor and he came to watch her. And saw she knew everything and did everything to gain a brown belt. Based on the notes and videos she took in class, she was able to use for two years in her garage in order for her to achieve a brown belt. A new dojo opened and 2 years later she received a black belt the same night I did.

Could that be similar to getting tapes, learing the KATAS, the MOVES and the history and philosphy on the art?

Heck, I still wouldn't promote such a thing because I believe you should work out in a structured atmosphere. Unfortunately, some structured atmospheres aren't as good as some of these tapes! Image

So I guess it's up to the individual and what they want or need to get out of receiving a black belt.

The question you have to ask is: It's not about the belt is it? It's about the passion to learn.

Here's a series of tapes that might interest someone.
http://www.thebelt.com/index.htm

Here's where the MASTER will come down and test you when you are done.
gmattson
Site Admin

Black Belt by Mail

Post by gmattson »

Interesting. . .

Ted Gambordella sent me a copy of his CD a couple years ago. Although most of the material is generic in nature, I found a couple of segments worth the price of the CD. He demystified a couple of the circus tricks a few martial artist are passing off as "Chi" or other bull****.

I agree to offer the CD on the "Store" and have sold quite a few. No one has complained that the information was not worth the price.

Now about offering a "degree" by mail, well here Ted and I might disagree. I understand he was also offering PhD degrees on eBay a while back and pulled the ad once martial artist found out about it and exposed the scam on the web.

I suspect his black belt degree is a marketing ploy and what he offers is probably as good as what is being passed off as martial art instruction in 50% of the "real" dojo that essentially do the same thing. . . only for a LOT more money.

Why would people spend money on a PhD degree they know to be phoney? If you find out, you will also discover the reason why a few people will buy Ted's certificate proclaiming the "bearer" a black belt.

------------------
GEM
Topos

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Topos »

A black belt or a Ph.d by mail? Too much!! In 1960's there was a mail order school that would issue a Ph.d in Philosophy ("Helps you get a better job"), in the area of Theosophy. For an extra $50 they would ACTUALLY have it signed by Jesus Christ! I have always suspected that many of the Mass. Legislature got their law degrees from schools that advertise inside matchbook covers, so in today's e-Bay world we may even see an Mega-Uechi Black Belt and Teaching certificate that is signed by Maste Kanbun. As Judy Tanuka the comedianne would say "It could happen"..[GRIN]
Bill Glasheen

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ph.D.s by mail is the reason I do background checks on all people I might hire before bringing them on board. But I have found that a good interview process will weed out all the folks you don't want anyhow. So in the end, the degree really doesn't matter.

The street has a funny way of dealing with people who take shortcuts in the fighting arts. Darwin's laws apply quite nicely here.

- Bill
TSDguy

Black Belt by Mail

Post by TSDguy »

"Here here!" to background checks. You get all those emails offering you LOTS of degrees... they keep coming so someone is buying them! I've seen firsthand how much trouble these dumb***** can cause when they get hired to a position that requires REAL experience and training. Be careful who you hire!!
Adam

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Adam »

Actually, the CD itself, that he's selling,looks pretty interesting.

Adam
Panther

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Glasheen:

The street has a funny way of dealing with people who take shortcuts in the fighting arts. Darwin's laws apply quite nicely here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that just about sums it all up... doesn't it. To paraphrase Ed Parker's response when someone made the statement that he didn't teach "real" karate: "When a real fist meets real flesh... that's real karate."
Glenn

Black Belt by Mail

Post by Glenn »

Bottom line is what is your goal:
1. To claim to hold a specific rank - go for the black belt by mail
2. To perpetuate a particular style, or at least your idea of the style - study only one style and ignore everything else
3. To learn how to increase your chances of survival in as many situations as possible - train and learn as much as you can whenever you can

I think the "masters of old", who were mostly concerned with learning how to survive, would find the current emphasis on rank, style, and style-perpetuation perplexing and annoying (to put it mildly).

------------------
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”