Birdbrained ideas

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Several things going on here at once... I'll address them one at a time.

Dr MK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I see some familiar information
Image Common knowledge base from various common sources, but a little stealing here and there.

Of note, although most vasovagal reactions occur with a sudden drop in blood pressure, the most important part of a vasovagal faint is the corresponding cerebral vasoconstriction.
My understanding of this increases with time. To the extent that we can measure the former, we can indirectly infer the latter may have occurred. A nurse in the field with a stethoscope and a BP cuff could noninvasively perform these simple measurements. It could be a start... Simple is good. Simple and noninvasive is even better. Not proof but...compelling evidence if an effect was measured (e.g. if it's wet enough in the morning, I might conclude it was night rain rather than surface temperature plunging to the dew point).

But your point is very well taken. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I have come across some interesting reports of patients who have had syncopal events during cardiac electrophysiologic studies with minor changes in blood pressure and drastic changes in cerebral vasoconstriction.
...which would shoot holes in what I suggested.

Do share!

I think the test you suggest would only really work if one used an arterial line to monitor blood pressure fluctuations in real time.
Especially true given the reports you suggest.

We bench lab experimenters are spoiled though, no? I never fully appreciated how lucky I was to have had fully instrumented and conscious dogs to work with on my dissertation.

At my hospital we are currently discussing a similar type of study using arterial lines.
If I may make a few comments from experience...

I believe what you really want to measure is local tissue blood flow. As you may already know, radiolabled microspheres is the gold standard. I had quite a bit of experience with that in the cardiology dog lab. Unfortunately - as you know - it is terminally invasive.

We could always look for terrorists or misbehaving karateka to work with... Image

KIDDING, FOLKS!!!

Short of that... The second best method would be measuring blood flow of a peripheral artery that feeds the tissue bed. Think about the complexity of central vs. peripheral control mechanisms working simultaneously - sometimes in dynamic tension with each other. The whole hierarchy of controls was one of the major research focus points of my dissertation advisor. Measuring pressure alone - even at the periphery - isn't going to get you what you want.

My previous mentor was working on using albumin microbubbles and sonograms to measure tissue blood flow. But I know of nobody that uses something like this for the study of brain tissue blood flow.

You have something new up your sleeve?

Perhaps we could take this discussion offline, unless you (or others) think it germane to the present discussion.

Traveler (a.k.a. John)

Temerity is a wonderful western virtue. Image

What you suggest is both scientifically and intellectually interesting. I have considered it.

George and others are interested in illustrating the concept of a "set up point." I sometimes jokingly refer to it as "martial foreplay."

An experiment might go something like this.

Null Hypothesis - Hitting a specific leading point prior to hitting the target point has no effect on the response to being struck on the target point.

Control - Hit on some anatomically "uninteresting" point first (preferably in the same general region), and then hit on the target point.

Test - Hit on the set up point first, and then the target point.

Measurements - One or more simple physical exam tests before - in-between and after having struck the various points. Response to several questions (your name, what day it is, etc.) before and after having struck the two points.

Randomly assign individuals to either control or test groups.

That would be a randomized, controlled trial (RCT).

If we could use subjects that know nothing about kyusho, it would be a blinded RCT.

If we could have a kyusho person teach someone that knows nothing about kyusho to hit (presumably with the same intensity) either the control or test setup point in room one, and then go to room 2 where a second person (this individual can know something about kyusho) hits the second point (not knowing what had happened before), then we have a double-blinded RCT. (Presumably the kyusho person would want very much to hit with just enough force - and no more - to make the final result "interesting.")

What would that tell us?

IF the test group was (statistically)physiologically and/or psychologically more affected than the control group from the before to the after, then it would properly illustrate that the concept of a set up point exists. It also would add a little bit to the argument that there is something more than power of suggestion going on.

IF we were able to show some physiologic changes that went along with the changes in outcome (consciousness), then it would hint to the mechanism(s) involved.

Just a suggestion, since it was asked. I believe this hypothetical experiment illustrates how one would carefully and methodically go about improving the understanding of what's going on here.

My biggest concern for proceeding would be primarily issues of safety (and ethics). I would want an external review board of some sort to consider the sanity of such a proposal. I'd also want proper modern resuscitation techniques available (in addition to any "traditional" ones) to minimize the risk to the subjects. And finally I'd like a good lawyer and proper waivers signed. Participants would need to understand that they are taking a risk in the interest of advancing our knowledge.

Such a work, by the way, could be published in a reputable, peer-reviewed journal if it showed a positive finding. Even a negative finding though could be published - and advance our general knowledge - if properly framed.

- Bill
Traveler in the Arts

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Traveler in the Arts »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Glasheen:

[snip]

George and others are interested in illustrating the concept of a "set up point." I sometimes jokingly refer to it as "martial foreplay."

An experiment might go something like this.

Null Hypothesis - Hitting a specific leading point prior to hitting the target point has no effect on the response to being struck on the target point.

Control - Hit on some anatomically "uninteresting" point first (preferably in the same general region), and then hit on the target point.

Test - Hit on the set up point first, and then the target point.

Measurements - One or more simple physical exam tests before - in-between and after having struck the various points. Response to several questions (your name, what day it is, etc.) before and after having struck the two points.

Randomly assign individuals to either control or test groups.

That would be a randomized, controlled trial (RCT).

If we could use subjects that know nothing about kyusho, it would be a blinded RCT.

If we could have a kyusho person teach someone that knows nothing about kyusho to hit (presumably with the same intensity) either the control or test setup point in room one, and then go to room 2 where a second person (this individual can know something about kyusho) hits the second point (not knowing what had happened before), then we have a double-blinded RCT. (Presumably the kyusho person would want very much to hit with just enough force - and no more - to make the final result "interesting.")

What would that tell us?

IF the test group was (statistically)physiologically and/or psychologically more affected than the control group from the before to the after, then it would properly illustrate that the concept of a set up point exists. It also would add a little bit to the argument that there is something more than power of suggestion going on.

IF we were able to show some physiologic changes that went along with the changes in outcome (consciousness), then it would hint to the mechanism(s) involved.

Just a suggestion, since it was asked. I believe this hypothetical experiment illustrates how one would carefully and methodically go about improving the understanding of what's going on here.

[snip]

- Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill-That's marvelous!! Your design cleverly integrates several important features. Thanks for your time and patience sketching this out for us.

John
Bill Glasheen

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mary S shows herself to be a better web surfer than I (and a diligent scholar of some pretty heavy material, given her legal background).

I thought sure that Katz was the author. Perhaps he was of the original edition; I don't know. Or maybe he's the researcher cited the most in the book.

In any case, Mary found a fourth edition of the book (obviously a classic) on the Amazon site.

From Neuron to Brain

This book, by the way, was written for a medical student, a graduate student in the life sciences, or a serious student of biology. Or you can stick it on your shelf and have it in the background whenever you are interviewed on TV; the world will think you smart! Image I read it from cover to cover (over the course of many weeks) before having written up an experiment on the neuromuscular junction in my graduate physiology lab course. Got an A plus, even after having handed the write-up in late. Obviously they liked the end result.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Oops!!! Both Mary and I are right.

The original book I meant was:

Katz, B: Nerve, Muscle, and Synapse. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1968 (or 1966, depending on whether you believe Guyton or Amazon).

From Neuron to Brain is also a good book, but not the one I meant.

Back to the original discussion amongst nerds and point whackers... Image

- Bill
Stryke

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Stryke »

Im enjoying this discussion even though it`s way over my head at times .

When it comes to kyusho im fascinated by the set ups , primers or whatever you want to call them , martial foreplay sounds good , honestly as in the taikiyoku ko demonstrated above without any expertise, it doesnt take a genius to realise if i can contort someone then whack him itll do much more damage , maybe ill use a sledgehammer were a nutcracker will do but its all valid .

Just my two cents , basically just posted to let you know the lurkers are out here .....

keep it coming

Stryke
M. Kelly

Birdbrained ideas

Post by M. Kelly »

Dr Glasheen,
I am enjoying this forum. It is so good to see levelheaded people intelligently discussing the martial arts and the use of points.

I agree with your statements about the safety and legal issues.

Yes, you are spoiled by bench testing. Image

Here are some interesting studies concerning blood pressure fluctuations and vasovagal syncope. I have more but I need to dig them up.

Sung, Du, et.al., Cerebral Blood Flow During Vasovagal Syncope Induced by Active Standing or Head up Tilt, Arch Dis Child, Feb 2000, 82(2):154-158

Hoag Dan, et al., Cerebral Blood Flow Velocity Declines BEFORE arterial pressure in patients with vasovagal syncope., Journal of the American College of Cardiology, March 2002, 20;39(6):1039-1045

Diehl RR, et.al., Transcranial Doppler During Neurocardiogenic syncope, Clinical Autonomic Res, 1996 6(2):71-74

I would like to make one additional point concerning safety issues. Stimulation of the spinal accessory nerve has been reported to cause cardiac arrest, and striking the posterior-lateral portion of the neck in the proximity of the GB20 point can stimulate this nerve.
I have references if anyone is interested.
M. Keller

Birdbrained ideas

Post by M. Keller »

Hello everyone,

In response to Dr. Kelly's last post, in my (limited) readings on kyusho, a great deal of literature also seems to warn against hitting the head/spine associated points (though if I remember correctly, the Dillman books are a notable exception to this rule).

In any case, what is the average dojo to do if they wanted to dabble a bit with pressure point fighting? Would practicing PNS points and simply understanding how to hit the CNS points be enough to make this stuff viable for an average student? Given the complexity of this style (angle of striking, force used, etc.), it seems like a lot of time and sweat would need to go into a technique to make it work.

My thought is that I wouldn't want to train a skill that I don't have complete faith in, and only by using the techniques could one confirm their efficacy.

Best regards,

Mike Keller
Ian

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Ian »

A few questions for Bill and his experiment:

What if the subjects can unblind themselves by the feel of the first point? If you whack colon-10, they'll know something is going on. Hitting more medially on the posterior forearm doesn't feel like much.

What if the set-up effect is pain mediated? If the real and fake kyusho points are equally painful, then, there'd be no difference. But there'd be a key difference between either and neither--not seen.

Mike, I used to ask the class what they wanted to do with the last five minutes of class and often it was a pressure point. I never whacked anyone in the neck or head, but you can certainly make people aware of tw-17 without hitting it Image Works great for people who won't shut up or act their age despite multiple warnings.

Others, like the muay-thai leg point, colon 10 and 13, lung 5, GB 22 and 23, these are pretty easy to teach. You can whack them with enough force to illustrate the point without much impact.

You will notice that most of the KOs, even if they start on peripheral points, often end up on the head and neck. It does seem wise to avoid pounding on these without a little more supervision and a waiver, depending on what is done, closer access to medical care. Although--they still teach you SPE class people CPR, right? Image
Traveler in the Arts

Birdbrained ideas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Glasheen:

Traveler

I think it appropriate to at least acknowledge your question.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bill, it's possible that some of the other 1485 registered members, who are also kyusho beginners, might not mind hearing some basic questions addressed concerning a concrete example viewable by everyone. Who knows maybe my temerity will stimulate some of their questions. ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

[snip--very interesting material]

What I propose is that this can also be done in this field. Some of the very principles discussed can be demonstrated one at a time in a series of works, if not rigorous experiments. A good deal has in fact been done which makes it possible for me to even begin to comment on that sequence.

I can tell you how we can show that a vasovagal response may (or may not) have contributed to what we saw in this picture. Measure heart rate and blood pressure at three points in this sequence: before the first strike, after the first and before the second strike, and after the second strike. The following would be consistent with a vasovagal response, enhanced with a "set up" technique:

* Normal HR and BP at point one.

* Slightly elevated HR and BP at point two.

* Dramatically decreased HR and BP at point three.

If I thought long enough, I could probably think of a few experiments to demonstrate some of the other principles discussed.

THIS is why I predict that there will not be a single universal theory that will explain everything we see in all these karate magic shows (a term once used by one of my karate instructors and former member of special forces).

- Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much--that was very interesting, helpful, and clarifying !

I have a question on the following from your post:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Seeing the speed at which the response happens tells me that it is not likely solely a vasovagal response. This suggests then that:
1) There was likely a direct effect on "mission control" with the second strike (smash the bloody head from the back),

and/or

2) There was an additional response at least contributing to what we see due to the fact that this is what we call a cooperative environment (placebo, power of suggestion, etc.).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There seems to be a significant time lag between the establishment of the body reorientation position (after the first strike) and the second strike with subsequent effect. In order to try to simplify the situation, could we try to isolate the second strike by asking Evan to perform it again alone, with the subject starting in the body reorientation position (without the first strike)? If he can do this then we have reduced the complexity. If he can't then that is also useful information.

Thanks,
John
M. Keller

Birdbrained ideas

Post by M. Keller »

Ian,

I seemed to remember being one of your test dummies and getting dazed by a GB-20 strike during one of your "last 5 minutes of class" demos Image ....

I am an EMT, but I don't think I'll be duplicating those demos on live subjects in the near future, partly due to safety concerns, and partly due to the fact that I'm not sure I could make the strikes work Image

Best,

Mike
Traveler in the Arts

Birdbrained ideas

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE ?

Everytime I view the Taikyoku KO:
http://www.kyusho.com/TaikyokuKO.mpg

that we have been recently discussing I find myself wondering about the mindset of the subject (I hope he will please excuse me for making some comments and conjectures about what seems to be happening here--I apologize in advance if I say something that may seem too personal.) He seems to be a completely cooperating partner in the demonstrations. When I view the first strike and see him passively go into the body reorientation position, I wonder what is his mindset just before the second strike? What is he thinking? What would I be thinking if I were in his place?

If I was a passive, cooperating participant I would probably be thinking "OK I am now in position to receive the second strike... Oh, sh*t... Here it comes... I'm going to be KO'd......"

On the other hand suppose my mindset was that of a noncooperating participant who is prepared to try his best to weather both strikes? Furthermore, suppose I have even trained myself both physically in terms of appropriate body conditioning and mentally in terms of not giving in to the idea of being KO'd, but rather to develop a focus and mindset, instead saying to myself, "I'm going to absorb this strike without going down and then I'm going to kick his a**."

So, my question then is to what extent could I train myself both physically (e.g. neck musculature, appropriate body conditioning, practice resisting the strike) and mentally (e.g. noncooperative focus and mindset)to not be KO'd by such a GB20 attack, having the same intensity as in the video?

If I could train to effectively resist the KO, this would of course have practical self-defense application. If I can't, then I really want to learn this simply applied technique for offensive application, when necessary.

So, another interesting study that comes to mind would have something roughly like the following null hypothesis:

Null Hypothesis - Kyusho-resistance training has no effect on the intensity of the response to being struck on the target point (e.g. GB20 as in the video).

John

[This message has been edited by Traveler in the Arts (edited July 06, 2002).]
jorvik

Birdbrained ideas

Post by jorvik »

"I find myself wondering about the mindset of the subject (I hope he will please excuse me for making some comments and conjectures "

when i first saw this clip I thought it totally reasonable, but now that you have expressed doubts, I have related it to my own experiences, and I can see the point you are making..( I wonder also, some people have a resistance to certain strikes anyway.. e.g.some boxers have a "glass jaw", others don't).Two thoughts that I have 1). I think this a very likely knockout, because- irrespective of the first strike - I think the second strike will do the business, I'm not a medico and have no kyusho experience, but just the general area of the strike I should have thought, would tend to have some effect.
2). I have been to a seminar were a rather large man struck a rather small man on the side of the neck( carotid)..the smaller man seemed shocked but didn't go down..and I think, in different circumstances might have responded a bit more aggressively...the larger man then said look at the effect of a light strike....the littler man very loudly said, that was not a light strike....here there was no "dojo-sensei" influence, the people who attended were all pretty open minded.......In a Dojo setting it could have been quite different, especially if it was your teacher doing the demo, and it was something that you wanted to believe, you would be compliant for fear of upsetting Sensei..and for disproving something that you desperatly wanted to believe in.In the past I have been in Dojo were Aikido was the art practised, and you do get "flyers" people who "jump" for you and make a poor, shoddy, throw look tremendous.

Another thought that just occured...the general direction of the second strike was downwards..this would tend to reinforce the belief that it was a knockout( from the subject's perspective)..he would feel himself being driven down, this would possibly magnify the effect.He would mentally associate it with the knockout.
sunsu8

Birdbrained ideas

Post by sunsu8 »

You are all in way over my heads! I got lose about the 25 post. All I will say is good lick in the experiment and with all the technical stuff you have discussed, if you will organize everything like you seem to be doing, it will work! Image If you ever actually do it, I would love for someone to explain (dumb it WAYYYY way down for me) and let me know the results! lol

Enjoy and good luck ~sunsu
Van Canna

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Van Canna »

I recall discussing this once with Evan sensei, but have no memory of it.

Would a Kyusho demo KO work in a regular free sparring match?

For example, we could have a Kyusho team free fight a Uechi team or any other style’s team allowing the contact strikes that Kyusho uses in demonstrations.

Would this be feasible and convincing?

------------------
Van Canna
Malcolm Wagner

Birdbrained ideas

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the verbal-sparring.

I will sit on the sidelines and:
Observe (The blood and guts)
Collect (The teeth)
Classify (The carnage)
Analyze (The various fluids)
Choose (The Winners-they will be standing)
Verify (The KO's-they will not be standing)
Predict (That all participants should go have a beer after they wake up)
This scientific method should satisfy all the scientists and doctors in the bunch.

Can't Kyusho and Uechi just get along?

Mal Image

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”