Any advice???

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Any advice???

Post by gmattson »

A very good friend and Uechi practitioner hasn't been training for awhile because of a physical problems that the doctors can't help. Anyone know of other solutions to this problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hi George, I won't be able to attend the camp. Thanks for the invite, but we're scheduled for a steady stream of family visitors for the next month or so. Also having some structural problems. Have had xrays which diagnosed degenerative arthritis in my neck (c3-c7) . Leads to intermittent numbness in arm and muscle spasms (very stiff neck). Makes Uechi training difficult. Hope to be able to get back to Uechi training. I was really happy with it till this happened. Doing katas feels good while doing them, but later on I suffer.

Dr. doesn't have much to offer outside of physical therapy and anti inflamatory meds. If you have any suggestions, I'm ready to try almost anything. Hope to be able to work around it without surgery.

Getting old is a bitch....but it beats the only other alternative.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
CANDANeh

Any advice???

Post by CANDANeh »

Determination! Also seek those that overcome what seems impossible physical challenges. After I had my knee rebuilt (was very down as I was told to give up Uechi)I was fortunate enough to meet up with a very avid "rock climber" that was involved in our scouting program. He had suffered serious pelvic and leg injuries from a car accident but he continued to climb ( I rappelled with him, awesome!!) He suffers but insist if all he had left to climb with was his teeth, he would chew his way up. Look to what still works and in time the rest seems to adapt. Plug along.
Dana Sheets

Any advice???

Post by Dana Sheets »

Remind him to drink lots and lots of water.

Degenerative arthritis runs in my family. And the doctors say over and over that if you're well hydrated, you can help reduce your pain.

Dana
Malcolm Wagner

Any advice???

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Sensei Mattson,

I work with many people who have been in the poultry-industry for 20+ years, and many of them have not only degenerative problems, but also overuse syndromes.

I sought out advice from many occupational Physicians and therapists and they pretty much use the following procedures.
Moist heat for 20 minute sessions (more than 20 minutes can sometimes cause swelling, thats why lying on a heating pad all night can make matters worse in some cases). A good way to make a moist warm compress is to put a damp towel in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds---make sure the entire towel is damp, dry spots will burn---also check the towel before applying to skin, it can get pretty hot.

Follow the heat immediately with ice for about 5-10 minutes.

Get someone to use "Deep-heat-type rubs" (I prefer Banalg), preferably someone with some massage experience, so that they will use just enough pressure without causing pain.

Finally, use some Range-Of Motion exercises to slowly build up more flexibility in the area. Possibly some Yoga texts will help.

Do I need to post a disclaimer with this??? I am not a physician, follow instructions at your own risk.

Mal

[This message has been edited by Malcolm Wagner (edited July 22, 2002).]
Bill Glasheen

Any advice???

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dana

You are one of the first people in the athletic world that I have seen pick up on this "secret, ancient Chinese medicine, used for 1000s of years..." Image OK, so I drip with sarcasm, but you are right on the money. Joints and the hard and liquidy substances that help make them slippery need water. Particularly in hot weather, people are often running short on it. If you drink caffeinated beverages or eat lot of salty and sugary things, it's even worse.

To the ailing karateka

Numbness is a BIG red flag, and a reason to work with a physician. At this point, the joint dysfunction is causing injury to nerves. That is not to be taken lightly.

Second, drink 8 glasses of water a day (as Dana suggested).

Third, this person should be on glucosamine and chondroin from now on. While the literature mostly points to benefits for joints like knees, hips, and fingers, it certainly couldn't hurt. In fact, it very well may be that while consuming these substances found naturally in the body may not help him get better, it very well may keep things from getting worse. And yes, they always get worse unless something is done to reverse the trend. Age bites.

Finally, this is exactly the kind of person that I would point to an osteopath, as opposed to an M.D. If Dr. Kelly is on board here, I'm sure he would second the notion that a good osteopathic physician (chiropractic would be second choice) could help keep someone like this as comfortable and as functional as possible.

Outside of the medical help, I say FIRST concentrate on doing all the things OUTSIDE of the NSAID drugs to make things better. Then have the NSAIDs available when you need them. They are great for relieving pain and reducing inflammation, but always at a cost if take longterm.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited July 22, 2002).]
Bill Glasheen

Any advice???

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I just came across some diet recommendations today that suggests that the 8 times 8 oz of water a day (roughly 2 liters) is for "normal" conditions. Exercising or otherwise sweating in hot weather increases the recommended amount by anywhere from 50 to 100 percent more. FWIW.

For years, I always wondered why I got many more inflammation injuries in the summer than in winter (mostly inflamed tendons, but sometimes joints). Eventually I learned it was dehydration brought on by more sweating without compensation by drinking more, and compounded by my love for caffeinated beverages (caffeine is a diuretic). Now during the summer months I drink fewer Diet Mountain Dews, and more clear bubbly (or plain water if I absolutely have to...). This also means that if you want an after-workout drink at the pub, the first round should be a big pitcher of cold water, as alcohol is another diuretic.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”