Health issues in the news

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Two things struck me as interesting today. This was the first.

Lawsuit: Fast food chains caused obesity

It was only a matter of time before an ambulance chaser was going to smell more than the scent of burgers and fried chicken when walking by those establishments. While I abhor the thought of people not taking ownership for their behavior, I do find this more appealing than seeing physicians harassed by frivilous lawsuits coming from people who seek treatment for lifestyle ailments accumulated after eating that crap.

America - what a country! Image

Then I saw this interesting article.

Coroner: Coke linked to Entwistle's death

I find the comment about reduced flow in diseased coronary arteries particularly interesting. The physiology of that is both interesting and complex. Research in that area was my life for 5 years after leaving graduate school.

But the more interesting thing to ponder is how that very scenario could probably happen in your typical dojo where people experiment with vasovagal-induced KOs. Heart disease can be quite silent for years. Arteries that feed the heart muscle can narrow at various points in their 3-D architecture from a typical American diet. For many, they don't know they have a problem until they shovel snow in the winter, and suddenly experience chest pain. Some are lucky and the symptoms come on gradually. Those folks have time to deal with the problem before a heart attack can happen. But some folks don't know they have these narrowed points until some physical and/or psychological event becomes the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back. One minute they are fine; the next minute they are in ventricular fibrillation.

To start with, it pays to have someone that knows CPR in class. No, a typical kyusho revival technique isn't going to cardioconvert someone. When cardiac cells stop firing in synchrony, it's time for serious intervention.

Second, it makes sense to see your doctor at regular intervals. Most all of the risk factors that lead to cardiac events are known today. It's not difficult to predict that a cardiac event is possible. There are many pharmacologic and lifestyle interventions that can make a difference.

And finally, everyone should understand the risks involved in pushing the human body outside the bounds of conscious, sedentary existence. It pays to be informed, and it pays to put information to good use via responsible behavior in the gym and the dojo.

- Bill
vinny

Post by vinny »

Bill,
I'm amazed that John Entwistle lived as long as he did. Look at Keith Richards. He's a walking miracle. Just goes to show how incredible the human body really is. It's able to be slowly poisoned for years and still keep going. Outside of acute poisonings i.e. Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Keith Moon etc. etc., the human body has a tremendous ability to withstand all kinds of stress and just keep going. Better than the energizer bunny.

Hope to see you at summer camp. It's going to be a blast.

Vinny Christiano
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Bill,

Good info and great advice.

I noticed that many people have a tendency to deny their high blood pressure or cholesterol, and or neglect to take their pills.

A friend of mine was warned by the doctor that if he did not take medication for high blood pressure, he would have a stroke.

He did not take the doctor's advice and he did have a bad stroke that has immobilized him.

What goes on in a person's mind that brings this about?

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
To start with, it pays to have someone that knows CPR in class.
Excellent advice. Back in the late sixties a bunch of us took the CPR course at Charles Earle's Dojo in Providence. I could use a refresher.

GEM sensei, any chance of setting something up? Or maybe Gary Khoury sensei could in his large Dojo.

This simple prevention skill could well save the life of one of us on the floor some day.

------------------
Van Canna
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Mike Murphy hosts a seminar yearly on CPR. We will have a number of CPR trained people at camp, but won't be offering a course. Too many activities, too little time!

Watch the site for information regarding Mike's next course.

------------------
GEM
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Bill,

You wrote,

"No, a typical kyusho revival technique isn't going to cardioconvert someone."

With this being the case, would it make sense for Sensei's to have an AED in the dojo, and Kyusho seminars (and obviously the training)?

Also, are there foods that can reverse the plaque-buildup in the arteries, or is a CABG unavoidable in my future.

Would you say that CAD runs in family's because they generally share the same dietary habits, or because they share congenital defects like narrow coronary arteries?

One more thing, Can I sue Coors for my gut? Image

Thanks,
Mal

[This message has been edited by Malcolm Wagner (edited July 27, 2002).]
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

Grandmaw used to make some pretty fatty foods to fatten you up during hard times. Years later Dad drove himself to the hospital with one hand holding his chest one one the steering wheel, not a good idea since he could of killed someone. But then again he doesn't live in a highly populated area.

I've been cleaning up my habits for a long time, there always seems to be something I can do to improve health.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mal

would it make sense for Sensei's to have an AED in the dojo, and Kyusho seminars (and obviously the training)?
While I must admit ignorance with this specific acronym, I think I get the gist of your question.

I have been most impressed with George's responsiveness to my camp suggestions concerning health and emergency aid needs. He now has trained people ready to help individuals that may have first aid needs during our sessions. One of the things that prompted me to make the suggestion was a test I was part of, where a student got a cut on his hands. One of the female black belts intervened, and impulsively put the stranger's bleeding hand to her mouth to ****** his blood. Image My shout of NO!!! was too late for her. However I was able to stop another individual from attempting to clean up blood from a sparring match with bare hands. We now know that at tournaments and in camp that it is the responsibility of medical personnel to handle all such cases.

As for kyusho seminars, I think it would be a good idea to at least have someone there who is CPR trained. First aid training doesn't hurt...but takes a bit more to get. I personally think all black belts should have CPR training and (re)certification as part of their training. Anyone leading an exercise class should understand how to deal with a heart attack in training. It doesn't just happen to older, obese people either. These days you have kids training while dehydrated and (secretly) on ephedrine/caffeine potions. We get a couple of reported cases of deaths at high school summer football practices every year now.

Common sense helps as much as preparation. One should encourage students to drink water before practice, and drink whenever they want to during training. Water should never, ever be restricted. Students should (in my opinion) be required to have health insurance; the financing of quality health care should never be an issue. And individuals should have a complete physical exam before engaging in exercise for the first time.

Also, are there foods that can reverse the plaque-buildup in the arteries, or is a CABG unavoidable in my future.
Dean Ornish has done quite a bit of research on this. His extremely low fat diet along with lifestyle changes has been show to be able to reverse plaque buildup. However these are extreme measures.

Many things go into the equation. Genetics is part of it. Blood pressure and cholesterol are also important. There are now other metabolites measured (e.g. homocysteine) that are indicators of risk for CAD. Stress is a factor. Diet is a factor. Gender and race are factors.

The diet I recommend is loosely based on Barry Sears' diet. It's a balance of protein, carbos, and fat. One focuses on maintaining a constant blood glucose level (very difficult to explain in a short post). One should shun typical animal fats, and instead seek out fat from nuts, olive oil, vegetables, and fish (don't fry!!!). A good example of this is the typical Mediterranean diet.

A few odd things help. You can enjoy a glass of red wine a day! Just don't overdo it.

Would you say that CAD runs in family's because they generally share the same dietary habits, or because they share congenital defects like narrow coronary arteries?
Yes. We know that diet and exercise help. But for some folks, that isn't enough. Jim Fixx was the classic example. He started part of the fitness revolution with his advocacy of running for health. He died of a heart attack in his forties while jogging. He could have used regular visits to a doctor who would probably have detected some risk factors that could have been handled through medication.

Like training for martial arts, there's no easy path. We just need to be patient, smart, realistic, and persistent.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited July 29, 2002).]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van

I noticed that many people have a tendency to deny their high blood pressure or cholesterol, and or neglect to take their pills. ... What goes on in a person's mind that brings this about?
This is one of the big challenges in medicine - perhaps bigger than figuring out a cure for cancer. The disease and case managers in my company have fits with patients like this one. Sometimes it takes a catastrophic event for someone to find religion, so to write. But then that can be too late in the case of a stroke. The sad part about modern medicine for cardiovascular disease is that they CAN save the lives of folks who would be better off passing away. Life with half a brain after a massive stroke isn't much to celebrate.

Some people are beyond reach. We have folks with emphysema who continue to smoke, even while receiving therapeutic oxygen at home. The fire hazard alone is totally insane. In the end, you can't save some people from themselves.

We still try though. Making noncompliant patients follow their treatment regimen is a budding artform. We're learning new tricks every day.

I'll bet Paul Giella would have much to say about that subject.

- Bill
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

AED-atomatic external defibrilator. They make them almost idiot proof now.

Mal

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”