Why do we study the martial arts?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Martialarts info sent me an article containing an interesting survey. Interesting why people take the martial arts:

Check it out:

http://www.martialinfo.com/Articles/culture.htm

------------------
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I really don't know why, anymore, George.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I really don't know why, anymore, George, except to pass-on some of myself to my students and watch them develop to their optimum potential all by themselves with a little coaching here and there.

Other than that, I don't get anything out of karate anymore and have let one thing go, one at the time, over the past ten years until all I have left is Uechi and old injuries that sometimes haunt as a reminder to the times I've missed the mark.

------------------
krymrgn

Post by krymrgn »

Mr Moulton,

Kerry Morgan: That's the saddest thing I've heard in quite a while. May I send you one of my books- just for the heck of it- might spark something for you again-Just a thought- One way I might be able to help- for I want to...

krymrgn@hotmail.com
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well, I practice martial arts for a few reasons.
One, a relaxing social environment.
Two, self development.
Three, relaxation in general.
Four, physical development.

Adam
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

quote:

That's the saddest thing I've heard in quite a while. May I send you one of my books- just for the heck of it- might spark something for you again-Just a thought- One way I might be able to help- for I want to. . .

Thank you so much for your offer. In all sincerity you are so kind and generous, have a good heart, and are a martial artists with exceptional qualities.

So sorry I excited no one by not writing that I do it for fighting, for health and fitness, to impress the babes, or for some other esoteric reason that to me would be meaningless although others capture those essences and hold on to endless discussions which are good enough to some that others adopt them as their own.

I considered my wee-morning’s entry to be stark, stoic, and spartan, rather than sad -- as well as sensibly and seriously honest when I wrote it as well as after I reread it moments ago. I’ve been a lot of places, had a lot of adventures [and a few misadventures here and there], studied a handful of styles to a deep degree, and have done a lot of other things in the martial arts and in fighting too throughout most of my life. I can safely say that I have satisfied all my curiosities and have given it my all. When one gives it his all – whatever that “it” may be -- for a long period of time eventually all is gone and it is all gone: the engine wears out, the tires need replacing, the battery runs down, the lights grow dim, and the vehicle eventually runs out of gas.

VC and the TC has recharged the batteries and replaced the tires while my students turn on the high beams brighten the lights as well as add fuel to the tank. Thanks to them I continue chugging away every day, but the engine is still worn out and firing on less than all 8.

My students are the best students in the whole wide world – to me. And to me they represent an important part of my life that I would not want to be without, and yet when they outgrow their desire for my instruction another part of my life will be gone from me – and yet still live within them even if they don’t “do” Sanchin anymore. They have become part of my “family. ” Sometimes I don’t know what they see in me, but they keep coming back to learn more and more of the same.

So the question is why do we practice??? Why do I, if I purport to be so dried out? That’s a good question with no readily defined answers, except for two. One answer I let escape from my thoughts onto the keyboard at 1am-ish and then fortified that passage by revealing VC and TC. The other answer is that I simply cannot stop. This fighting and martial arts thing is such an ingrained part of me and I am part of it that the world would have to stop spinning on its axis before I quit.

I have three main foci I in life that adheres to the following order: 1) Family, 2) Job, and 3) everything else. Karate in #3) is so strong that it can cast shadows over #1 and #2 on occasion. Probably doesn’t sound cheerful again, but that’s life.

Why do others do it and continue to do so long after their prime years are far behind them??

------------------
hthom

Post by hthom »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deep Sea:
quote:

-----Why do others do it and continue to do so long after their prime years are far behind them??----

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's my refusal to let my age gets into the way.

It's my refusal to let the pain in my shoulders and fingers and my knees and my back and almost everywhere else to tell me that I may have passed my prime.

It's my determination to do the stuff as long as I possibily can because I just love doing it.

I don't do the stuff for fighting any more.

I don't even try to "improve" anymore. Trying not to "regress" is my main goal now.

I have a perverted self satisfaction when I see folks my age (or often younger than I ) can hardly walk around even with their canes, and I am still doing my Seisan jump and elbowing and smashing Bob-the-dummy several times a week.

Yes, my day will come. I will push it off as long as possible. When it comes to getting old, I am just stubborn as an old mule.
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I will push it off as long as possible. When it comes to getting old, I am just stubborn as an old mule.
That's the only way to be, Henry.

------------------
Tom Faigle

Post by Tom Faigle »

Mattson Sensei,

Why do I practice?

Well when I started last year, I wanted to get my son involved in a martial art for all of the "standard" reasons. Self confidence, control, mental discipline, and self defense. I also thought it would be a good example to take classes with him. This was very important to me as he was abused by his mom, and is still dealing with the anger of being an abused child, and while I can't "fix" things, I can work with him and give him everything within my power to have the best childhood that he can. And to lay down a good foundation for him to have a happy life.

Anyway, while looking for programs, I didn't want to get into "McDojo". I thought it was important to find a Martial Art that was more traditional and that would meet my goals. After lots and lots and lots of research, I found a traditional karate class listed in our county rec class listing. The class was right, and open to kids and adults. So I signed us up, and to my suprise, the Sensei was incrdible and I was incredibly lucky to get what I feel is the best instruction available to me in our area.

Anyway, from there, I found that I enjoyed my classes, and wanted to learn more (amazing what a good teacher will do for you). I've lost weight, gained flexibility, speed, power, control, and made some great friends. Oh yea, and I feel that I'm just starting to learn the skills needed for self defense!

So the point of all of this, is that in my stage of development, I've gained quite a few things from taking my Uechi-Ryu classes. aAnd I'm looking forward to the seeing what I'll learn in the years ahead.

Tom
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
This was very important to me as he was abused by his mom, and is still dealing with the anger of being an abused child.
Tom,

My heart goes out to you and to your son.
It is a terrible fate to get caught with a mentally ill person as you did.We must be ever so vigilant to read the early signs, or there will be hell to pay.

Happy you have found a good teacher in this beloved style.

Best of luck.

------------------
Van Canna
Tom Faigle

Post by Tom Faigle »

Canna Sensei,

Thank you. Yes, I'm doubly blessed. To have a great son and a great teacher who I look upto and respect. And make it a tripe, if you count all of the great people that I've met going through all of this who have helped me and let me have the honor of being their friend, both on-line and in person.

Tom
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Tom,

You are most welcome. This is a "family" after all.

People don't know what they are missing by not becoming active here and cultivating friends and camaraderie.

------------------
Van Canna
krymrgn

Post by krymrgn »

Why do I practice?....

Just for the fun of it, I went into a "psychic" for a reading in Salem Mass.. She started with "there is a great spirit around you..." blah blah, what I expected... Then, "for most of your life you have been surrounded by angery people, jelous of you, they tried to take from you your essence, for what you are, for themselves... You were hurt in your own home," Then she FINALY looked directly at me, and said "there has been a great healing around you, you have taken these obstacles and beaten them down without loosing yourself," Then she asked, "What is this great healing? Does this make sense to you?"

I answered, "Martial Arts, Uechi-Ryu"

This is why I study and practice, and why I have written the children's book. To continue the healing, and to hopefully show, children in-particuliar, that it is possible.

Kerry

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”