The Matrix - Are you hooked?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

The Matrix - Are you hooked?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't remember the exact reviews and by whom, but I got the idea that when the movie The Matrix came out, the reviews weren't that good. I remember hearing things like "too difficult to understand" and "had to see it several times to figure it out" and such. In any case, I didn't give it much thought.

Well it all started when a group of us (myself, Chad, Tim Ahearn, Alison McCombe, and Faisal Khan) slummed in my van to camp and back. Perhaps it was August of 2000.

The trip was memorable for a number of reasons. Tim and Alison were "best buds" and practically adopted Chad on the trip. He still remembers both of them very well. There were all the games we played on the road, like looking for letters from A to Z. There were the typical stops, like that Greek restaurant we always seem to find in Connecticut. And then there was Chad with his incessant whistling of various tunes (like When the Saints Go Marching On) that drove Faisel absolutely nuts.

In any case, we drove from Buzzard's Bay to Faisel's Northern Virginia bachelor pad in one Sunday evening. We all crashed on Faisel's floor. The next morning, we got up to Faisel's music, and videos. At some point, he stuck The Matrix in his video machine at a specific scene.

I know kung fu...

There was a pretty neat fight sequence. Chad was hooked, and has wanted the video for years. So anyhow, I bought the DVD this Christmas.

First, I would like to say that I enjoyed the movie on first viewing. While I missed a few details first time around, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I don't know... Maybe a techie like me understands enough to connect all the dots with incomplete absorption of the dialogue.

But there's something I've noticed about good music, and it seems to apply to good videos as well. There are those pieces of music that you kind of like first time around, but then you get really sick of them. But a great piece of music is so-so first time around, and grows on you. The Matrix seems to be in this category in the video department.

Every time I view the video, I get an appreciation for one more aspect of the film. It's really a lot thrown at you in one sitting, and it ages well. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to tell you that the actors deserve academy awards or anything. But remember the lukewarm reviews when Star Wars came out? What about the confusion of 2001 - A Space Odyssey? (I actually "got" that film first time around as a child)

I see from the internet that there'll be a Matrix II and III, and they are both being filmed at the same time.

Looking forward to seeing the "dumb but good looking" Keanu Reeves...

...the macho Laurence Fishburne...

...and the (oh yea...) modern-day Wonderwoman Carrie-Anne Moss...

I'm holding back on my comments about the movie for now. What do you think?

A great video for home if you've never seen it.

- Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

:D .....Hi Bill that is one of my very favourite movies......I can watch it over and over. I cannot wait to see 2 and3
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Very much hooked - I loved this movie and just said last night "I can't wait to see the second one!" (honestly, it was around 9:30 p.m) :)

And just think, Hugo Weaving, who plays the ultra bad guy in this movie also played a drag queen in Priscilla Queen of the Desert! Just goes to show ya doesn't it?
Panther

Post by Panther »

One of my very favorite movies... Saw it in the theatre multiple times and bought the DVD the first day it came out... actually, I didn't even own a DVD player at the time and the Matrix came out on DVD first, so I bought a DVD player!

I actually "got it" the first time through... guess it's that techno-geek-martial-artist in me... But I went back to see it over and over again, because I kept telling friends that they HAD to go see it and then it would turn into... "what the hey... let's go NOW!" In fact, I took one person to see it at the very last showing at midnight of the last night it was in theatres around here...

Can't wait for the sequels.

Liked it better than any of the Star Wars, Star Trek movies...
newguy

Post by newguy »

I just bought this on DVD yesterday! When I went home at lunch today to walk the dog, I had to take a few minutes and cue up the lobby scene before returning to work.

A terrifically fun movie - even if you don't 'get' it it's still a visual feast!

Since Mr. Glasheen got the movie ball rolling I'll ask - anyone else here a fan of Chow Yun Fat?
"Dying ain't much of a living boy." J. Wales
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

I loved the movie, but the fight scenes were sooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooww (kicks and punches i mean; the choreography was downright sweet). I can't wait for Jet Li to show them how it's done. :popcorn:

Edit: I just did a search and didn't see Jet Li's name pop up regarding sequels. Was this just a rumor?
Last edited by TSDguy on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavor flav

Post by flavor flav »

I always liked his action movies, and I think he crossed over with the replacement killers, the king and I, and crouching tiger, hidden dragon... (which, BTW is one of the few movies I like to watch MORE than the matrix) but I think chow yun fat can really act, and isnot just another action hero.

peace
chef

Matrix

Post by chef »

Very cool movie!
You know Hugo Weaving is perfect for the non-emotional bad guy. He's plays Elrond, the elf king in Lord of the Rings, as well.

Love seeing woman in kick-butt roles. Keanu, nice to look at. He's moving up from 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'.

Almost any movie with martial arts I enjoy (except 'too dumb' Kung Pao), I draw the line on that one.

If we could only get our karateka to believe in themselves like that! Wow, wouldn't that be something.

Vicki
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

:roll:
Last edited by Ted Dinwiddie on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
flavor flav

Post by flavor flav »

but see... you dont know that stuff in "real life..." you only know it in the matrix, where your brain makes up for that limiting rule and over rides it, because you have knowledge of self...
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

:?
Last edited by Ted Dinwiddie on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Can you imagine what damage one would do to their body if somehow their brain could have the kinesthetic knowledge/ability of a MA with abilities even approaching that which is displayed in the movie? No conditioning, no progressive strengthening of muscle and connective tissue, no increase in bone density... OUCH!
Actually from the standpoint of the movie, I think Flavor Flav was making an important point. Life as they knew it in The Matrix was all a computer program. That would include all the conditioning, progressive strengthening of muscle, etc. Remember that they were able to program hair length, etc. in the first trip back into the Matrix, right? So when they were downloading "jiu-jitsu" and "kung fu" into the people, they were also downloading the software that gave them the results of conditioning.

I can find ways to punch holes in the plot of the movie. But this issue actually isn't one of the weaknesses.

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

Bill Glasheen wrote:I can find ways to punch holes in the plot of the movie. But this issue actually isn't one of the weaknesses.
The only reason you think you can punch holes in the plot of a movie is because the Matrix tells you that you can punch holes in the plot of a make-believe movie. Next time take the red pill! :lol:
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Beautiful one Panther!!! :D

Does anyone know the release date for Matrix II?
dominiuno

Post by dominiuno »

Matrix 2: May 15

Matrix 3: November 15

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”