Body, Mind, Spirit: How important in your training?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Why did you start and why do you continue practicing the Martial Arts?

Exclusively self defense then and now.
6%
Self defense initially, mix of self defense, health benefits now.
12%
Health reasons initially, self defense now
No votes
Health reasons then and now primarily
6%
Mix of reasons, mostly now because I simply enjoy the training
76%

Total votes: 17

benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Sanity would have to be my number one reason for practicing MA's. If I didn't have some form of stress relief in my life I would go nuts. MA's calms my mind, gives an endorphine rush.. a natural prozac so to speak. T

The martial aspect of karate is great too. It boosts my confidence knowing that I am bettering my chances of winning against an attacker.

I am still trying to decide about the spiritual side of the MA's. I don't quite believe, but then resist entirely closing my mind to the possability that chi exists ect.
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

mm I see- quite un-realistic. I would think that would reflect on the Sensei a bit mm? If they "allowed" their students to perceive their own abilities and the art that way? (which is what you said :) ) Coarse a Sensei can't force a student to be realistic either.

kind of like a chicken and egg question maybe?

Movies are pretty cool- and there are some really action-packed-thrillers out there- thing is- the actors have harness's and doubles to do most of the really neat looking stuff. In a street fight you wouldn't have any of that. The first thing you would have is adrenaline. I figure- MA's help to understand what to do with that adrenaline rush- for the everyday adverage Joe- I'm speaking of. People who face those situations everyday would probably need more training- like doctors need to keep track of the latest and greatest to keep people healthy. Tylenol works best for some things- Aleve for others- sometimes the two work well together- but one doesn't change or negate the other. :)

Personaly I think Uechi has incredible meditational value, physical conditioning values- and basic defense techs. It's awesome karate for everyday people. It's amazing what you can find tucked inside a Uechi fist :)

thanks for the insight!

K
sarosenc

why i train

Post by sarosenc »

While I was in the Navy training to be a diver what I learned of greatest importance to me was that me body would only so as much as my mind was convinced it could do -- in other words my greatest challenge and truest enemy exists within -- until I can overcome myself all my motives and perceptions will always be tainted and clouded in untruths. Until I can accomplish this feat the confrontations I see will mostly be of my imagination and easily solveable if instead of being 'in your face' with someone else I remain patient and aware the 'confrontation' will resolve itself, and the real confrontations will become much easier to determine. I will continue to train for the physical benefits as much as for the spiritual and mental focus practice that completes me as a person.
... small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Mttw 7:14
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

KerryM wrote:
I figure- MA's help to understand what to do with that adrenaline rush- for the everyday adverage Joe- I'm speaking of.

K
Kerry,

I would have to disagree with you. After 27 years of MA training I also thought that I was prepared for the adrenaline rush. However over the last couple of years I have had exposure to adrenal stress training. I realized that our multitude of skills become severly reduced by the effects of the adrenaline dump. 8O Certainly a MA will be able to quickly learn and adapt what thay will be able to do under the adrenal dump. Valuable lesson to learn and has help me focus on those techniques that I can excute with adrenilized power.

If you have the opportunity to experience adrenal stress training, do it.

Best,

Alan Lowell
Alan
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

well said S-

A- have you experienced an actual fight or just been through the training? Was the fight in a city or party house/bar an ally?

In my practice it has already helped me to handle the effects of an adrenaline rush- in some cases. But they weren't of the kind like a city mugging type thing. But in the situations that I face- working late at night, sometimes alone- I've been faced with scary people wanting to "get into the store" anyway- and other minor threatening situations- and have delt with it differently than I had before my training.

But like I said- that's just my experience and it wasn't in a city or street mugging. Just minor threats but they did contain minor adrenaline. Maybe it is better to say that the "timing" of adrenaline- rushes- or what tells the adrenaline to "rush"- becomes different and is effected by MA's?

I haven't ever experienced any street fighting training as of yet- though it was due to poor reactive judgement in very threatening circumstances (daily) that I started in the first place- so I've experienced it before- but not since I've started :) I can't really give an opinion there on that one :)

I will take the opportunity to train though- learning new things is an enjoyment for me anyway :)

K

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”