Vicious

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

benzocaine

Vicious

Post by benzocaine »

This morning I took my Basset hound and Mutt for a walk around my neighborhood. This is a daily ritual as they have come to expect a W-A-L-K daily,or any time I put my shoes on for that matter. The dogs recognise the word walk even so my wife and I spell it out or say stroll or something else... though it is quite fun to say WALK before you actually intend to take them.. they get so excited! :D

Well to the point.

We went past this house when out comes charging this HUGE Chow mix just strutting his stuff right in the face of my mutt. It looked like he was going to attack any second. Well, I look at the house and there on the porch are two children around the age of 10 or so just watching dumbly. I yelled at them to get their dog or at least get their parents. Luckily a neighbor grabbed the dog.. and nothing happened.

This got me thinking. There are so many dogs out there that pose a threat to people. We hear sporadically about Pitbull tearing peoples throats out.. ect. I have to ask myself "how would I defend myself from an attack"?

Some ideas are
1) gouge the eyes
2)punch it in the head
3)strangle it
4)grab its sex organs and RIP
5) Get it in a joint lock :) (grasping at straws here)
6)kick

I gues I basicaly would have to be an animal as well.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Additions to my list of defences? Please do not tell me not to provoke the dog in the first place.. I already know that.
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

G. Gordon Liddy on television once described his technique for killing an attacking dog. He said let it get ahold of your weak arm, then come crashing down on its neck with your free forearm. Might work.

I had a friend years ago I saw give an attacking dog a haymaker in the head right at it lunged at him, It fell backwards, got up, and took off. Really great timing.

I've heard that the eye gouge works on attacking sharks too. It's the only soft spot to go after.

Kevin
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

Dogs can take quite a beating to the body and head and not really notice due to their ridiculous amounts of muscle. I'm not sure punching the head is the best option, but hey, take what you can get. Most dogs have extremely weak legs.
Spike

Post by Spike »

If you can cave the chest in it MIGHT work. Also, if your lucky enough to have a tail, grab and tear. And whatever you do, i wouldn't suggest letting them grab hold of you in their jaws. They aren't herbivores after all. Well there's my two cents.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

From years of experience mowing lawns and delivering papers, here's my 2 cents.

First, face the dog square on, with your chin down. Most dogs are like people and don't want a tough fight. I've never had a dog bite me while I was facing him.

Second, I would say yes to attacking the vulnerable parts. Eyes and testicles are out there and hurt. If a dog has you in a lock and you can get at the windpipe, you can also grab with a boshiken fist and squeeze to a hiraken. (Classic Uechi) You just need to have the presence of mind when/if attacked to go for them. Expect them to attack whatever you are using to attack these vulnerable parts if they aren't ready to give up.

Third, someone above got it right w.r.t. the legs. Dogs can be taken down pretty easily if you reach underneath, grab the legs on the opposite side, and pull.

And finally.... A dog that attacks your dogs while you are walking them is extremely vulnerable. They will be tunnel-vision focused on your dog, and not you. Been there, done that. A good swift kick in the ribs - hard enough to knock them off their feet - gets their attention, and makes them realize they are in a gang fight. If it's a dog capable of (and in the act of) killing your dog, I'd dispense with the rib kicking and come down hard on the back of the neck. REMEMBER - come at them from the side. They won't see you.

- Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Thanks guys for your responses.

I hope I never have to defend myself against a dog... but you know what? It seems I am more likely to be attacked by a dog than a person... at least this is based on personal experience.

Either way I think you need to reach deep inside and get that "inner animal" to come out. :twisted:
Spike

Post by Spike »

benzocaine wrote:Thanks guys for your responses.

I hope I never have to defend myself against a dog... but you know what? It seems I am more likely to be attacked by a dog than a person... at least this is based on personal experience.

Either way I think you need to reach deep inside and get that "inner animal" to come out. :twisted:
Woof!
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I remember twice I was attacked and a number more times I "squared-off"

The first time I was attacked the dog came at me at an angle and I reflexively gave it a Kanshiwa-style sidekick right in the nose as se was attacking. That worked, she/he ran away yelping.

Another time was when I was still learning how to walk and had progressed to two canes. When the dog came close enough I started swinging with intent, remembering my Kali classes, making the cane sing in the air. The dog recognized my territory, as outlined by the cane, and although threatening with his growl and drool he never did enter that precious little circle. The next day I was armed with rocks and beaned him. The next day he was no where to be found.

I also delivered news papers, seven days a week for two companies during my preteen and through most of high school for a number of years and had one of the largest routes if not THE largest route in my hometown. Not only were dogs a problem, but punks were a frequent nuisance as well.

Whenever threatened I would often look for little sticks and twigs and get ready to poke they eyes in of whomever or whatever. Dogs don't like rocks either.

In those days, dogs ran free, not restrained by law and leash as today they are supposed to be in most places. They loved to snack on ankles that pumped the pedals on a bicycle. A very effective technique was to let them attack and just before they get their canines [woah, good pun] sunk in, smash down on their head with your heel.

Another method, if on foot, is to carry a can of you mom's hair spray and use it in a utilitarian manner. Just spray the mist directly in the dog's face or mouth and watch the comic show begin. For traversing hard-core territory use another hair spray trick. When an attack is imminent and the animal gets too close for comfort, light up a Zippo a few inches in front of the aerosol and push the spray button on the can. That, my friends, makes the most beautiful and awesome close-range homemade flame-throwers one could imagine, complete with yellow and blue flame accompanied by a threatening rushing sound.

Maybe they can even fill the Zippo with benzocaine [oops...]
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Allen,

I see you mentioned the need to defend yourself with a cane before...that you were "learning to walk". I'd be interested in hearing about what put you into that situation. I myself have been in a similar spot. When I was 20 I had a car wreck and fractured2 vertebrae. I spent 3 months in University hospital in Boston, and I too basically had to relearn to walk. I never required 2 canes but I sure as heck needed one for about 6 months after discharge. I remember forcing myself to walk half a mile up the street with my cane and neckbrace on determined to get better. I'll tell you, it was a rough time in my life, especially when I had been running 7 miles every other day or so before the accident.

To make a long story short, I began swimming at the "Y" and bounced back extremely fast. Shortly after I took up some martial arts. Lifes been fairly well since. Every so often I'll go overboard working in my yard or lifting weights, and feel some tingling in my fingers the next morning, but it is short lived and I mellow down a bit.

I don't regret that my injury happened. It was life altering in many posotive ways. Being in that hospital bed wondering if I'd be handicaped for the rest of my life really gave me a better perspective on life. I guess it's like the saying "what ever doesn't kill you will only make you stronger".

So... If it was a spinal cord injury you had, I can probably relate to a lot of things you went through.

Take care,

Ben
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Always keep in mind that a dog reacts much much faster than a human (aprox. 3 times faster) and moves faster than any fighter. Powerful jaws with the shaking of a normally muscular body can allow those teeth to cause a lot of damage in short time. [Always keep in mind that hardened criminals rarely are able to injure a police dog.] I tried an experiment once and trust me never again, I put a paper bag over my head with the eyes cut out and crept up to my German Shephard (I now prefer Aussies)who had one single surviving new born and was rather on the edgy side. I was awestruck at the speed and power and the ability of a 80 pound animal to remove me from my feet . Also ,the time it took to put stitches in and heal the wounds ...thus the reason for my acutar, pretty much what I seen through them peep holes.
PS...I already heard all the idiot comments.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

"PS...I already heard all the idiot comments."

LOL!! :D I'm sure you also heard "what the hell were you thinking?". Very , Very, Funny!

Thank You!
Alan K

Dog Defense

Post by Alan K »

Some interesting thoughts on violence to quel the antics of an angry dog.

I have a proven self-defense that requires no violence.

When I visit the pit bulls my son in law raises and rescues,
I carry a freezer bag of meat flavored, large milk bones.

They soon get to know you and you can walk among them,
BUT don't forget the milk bones.

I have very good witness of this.

However, a couple of Kali sticks on each side of your belt may give you better assurance.

P.S. What I did not mention is that the dogs were on chains, each with a separate dog house with a narrow walk way between which you can walk.

The same treatment with neighborhood dogs can apply, and for this I carry a cane as well as the milk bones.

Alan K
"The Goddess of Justice is Blind"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

When I visit the pit bulls my son in law raises and rescues,
I carry a freezer bag of meat flavored, large milk bones.
Keep them in a plastic bag until they are doled out, I hope, else forget them one day and you could be the milk bones if carrying the scent.
Always keep in mind that a dog reacts much much faster than a human (
I've often wondered, how it could be possible to do anything once attacked , because when they move, it's like lightning. I figured one could sacrifice something to them and attack them with a free hand.
I see you mentioned the need to defend yourself with a cane before...that you were "learning to walk". I'd be interested in hearing about what put you into that situation.
I put all my beef into it!

Benzo, looks like we do have much in common. I had a long painful recovery from hell to arrive at some place partway out, and now I know you can relate to that. Damage is permanent; I'll never get my health back so I do what I can with what I've got left.

On the two canes thing, I still walk with both of then across the snow and ice. In other words, the canes feel the ground for me like cats' whiskers, as well as the nail-tipped one sticks into the ice. You'ver been there, so relate to the following: Tie a cement block on the top of each knee, a red brick on top of each shoe and walk 100 feet. This is my every single step.

I think the 100 foot drag down the road caused as much, if not more, damage than the actual strike in which several parts of the truck's pladtic grille, when it exploded into my back at the instant of impact, impaled through my right lung.
-- Allen
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

I've often wondered, how it could be possible to do anything once attacked , because when they move, it's like lightning. I figured one could sacrifice something to them and attack them with a free hand.

Most dogs (if healthy mentally) will cease an attack when they correct the problem the person created for them, they have no sense of right or wrong nor what is considered civil behaviour an example... Fido herding the kids (or sheep) back into the yard is not being a nice family pet by keeping them out of the street, it is preparing them for the "kill" which has been in most part bred out of the animal. Therefore, we use instinct to as a tool, most dog owners have no sense of what thier "member of the family" really is.
It is worthwhile talking to a reputable trainer who understand how these predators view thier environment (first hand is best).
Offering a part of your body as a decoy is like grabbing a knife in a knife attack (owww!). I don`t recommend a "dry run" with a bag over your head :oops: but observe how they react. Mailman comes to the door, Fido is inside and hears the mail slot open ..he barks and the mailman leaves, this occurs for months...Fido senses he chasses away an intruder , the person did not enter the home of his "pack". Now, Fido is outdoors and the mailman enters the yard so Fido barks...the intruder this time fails to turn back...Fido has no option but to raise the force and attack to defend his "pack", the level of force Fido uses depends greatly on the reaction of the mailperson. It is not the uniform but the behaviour of the mailperson that caused the attack. Having said this, it is the responsibilty of the keeper of the "predator" to give the animal proper training to minimise unwarrented attacks. "Enter my home as friend and my dog will lay at your feet, enter as foe and my animal will... :twisted: " Hey, just had to throw that in.
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

The dog I warded off with my magic wands was being territorial, athough he considerred his owner's property to continue out through the street. Even going to the other side of the street offerred no relief.

While traversing through his territory I could have been attacked if I had not indicated the space for him in which not to enter.

That episode was much different than a random attack. If it was a mad-dog episode, frankly, the stick would not have phased him unless I made a good strike to a sensetive area.

The time I sidekicked a dog, was an automatic resonse. I did not realize what I had done until afterward.
-- Allen

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”