Vicious

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Spike

Post by Spike »

[quote="CANDANeh"Enter my home as friend and my dog will lay at your feet, enter as foe and my animal will... :twisted: " Hey, just had to throw that in.[/quote]

It's why my little "family member" is always keen to see who's at the door and how i react to the "unknown" visitor. If not seen as a threat she'll go back to doing her own thing (sleeping and eating :) )
Thaws

Facing the attacking dog

Post by Thaws »

At the most recent Multi-dimentional Warrior Camp held in South Africa, the focus was defense against attack dogs(common weapons in shantys, ghettos,etc.) Live training with attack dogs, Rotts,Mastiffs, G. Shepards, Ridgebacks, led to the development of sound principles for real situations. I didn't attend, but just to let you know that there are people who are training for this. Maybe going to the site(knifefighting.com/Amok) and posting your inquiery will get you some answers.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Sifting Combative Truth
Because all knife fights are combative events, even between two civilians, the inescapable reality and conclusion is this: the most relevant knifework is that developed within the context of combative circumstances. Repeatedly subjecting a martial art to combative circumstances will strip away the art from the martial until ultimately only its functional combative core remains. This process often reduces martial oak trees to combative toothpicks.

While training special forces teams, through spontaneous challenges of military operatives and martial artists alike, and through the experiences of Amoks, who regularly meet personal combat, in military, law enforcement and civilian engagements, AMOK! consistently subjects itself to combative stress in the field. These stress tests sifted combative knifework out from martial knifework and made clear the critical distinction between the two.

Because martial artists tend to practice under controlled cooperative circumstances most of their technology doesn’t function as well as expected under non-cooperative circumstances, whereas combatives are a product of non-cooperative practice and thus the technology is very likely to function when re-introduced back into that environment. Under controlled conditions any technique is possible, but in the chaos of combat, is it probable? And know this, when life or limb is at stake, the distinction between them is vast.
Couldn't find the stuff about dogs, but when i read this I couldn't help but see how much they seem to say that martial arts are great for everything but combat.

Anyways, back with the dogs ... can you give me a more specific address to go to.

Well it's time to go eat..:)
Thaws

Post by Thaws »

I posted an inquery on the forum cncerning the attack dog session of the camp, so hopefully someone will answer with some insight. The one guy I've trained with since came back with some narly bite marks(with pads) on his forearms. Concerning the statement of definition of MA's and Combatives, most people in combatives come from traditional MA's, there's a common core of fundamental methods or techniques that all fighting styles at their root adhere to(its really incestuous when you think about it). It's the most traditional of traditional martial arts, learning proven methods to survive an attack, just minus all of the fluffy zen stuff; honoring dead guys or people you've never met,having your yin match your yang,the color of your gi, etc. Its about learning to stop an attack as fast as you can, who has 20 yrs.to learn how to defend themselves? The guys who origionally thought this stuff up didn't. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you my ramble. Anyway, check out the forum for a reply to the dog question I posted.
tim
Thaws

Post by Thaws »

Spike,
I got a reply from the organizers of the camp in South Africa. Go to knifefighting.com/forums. Hope this helps.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

, when that dog comes running straight at you with murder in it’s eyes, an adrenalin rush kicks in that is similar to the one that occurs when you have to fight for your life. This “dog scenario” was designed to help participants understand how they will react in a life threatening situation and prepare them to try and control that absolute terror that sometimes occurs. In addition, we now have a much better idea of how a dog will attack and how to handle that attack. Basically, when attacking, a dog will go for the moving parts of your body, so we were instructed to “sacrifice” the weak arm by moving it while putting the other arm behind our back. Of course, this is only if one cannot get away and you have no other protection (chair, etc). Normally a dog’s first bite is with the front of his/her mouth and is not at maximum strength. The idea is not to let him/her get a second bite, hence the need to keep the arm moving.Once the dog has got your arm, you need to keep it moving as you stab the dog or if you have not blade, grab the loose skin between his/her mouth and ear. When you have a firm grip on the dog, you need to transfer the hand arm that is being bitten to the other side of his/her face so that you have the dog’s head between you hands. This is done when the dog tries to get a better grip on your arm.This all sounds very glib and easy but believe me, when you are under the pressure of the dog attack
This is the info., I will not say it is a good response or not. However, extremely rare is the animal (including human) that will purposely sacrifice a body part into the mouth of a deadly predator while concealing the stronger appendage. And please do not expect that first bite to be a "nip" unless it is only giving a warning, which should be heeded instead of escalating the confrontation.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”