Depth of Study

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Depth of Study

Post by Rick Wilson »

Depth of Study:

There have been a number of posts recently on a number of forums that have lead to the creation of this thread.

There is a basic level of practice that can be transmitted over a short period of time. It can be effective and serve most people well in the common self protection scenarios.

Supplemental training such as some of the reality seminars or cross training can improve these basic skills. They will strengthen and improve the base.

But this is a basic level training. Overtime one discovers a depth to the material that cannot be learned quickly because to some extent it must be discovered. It must be experienced to be understood.

The deeper you go the more you discover.

This is not just the physical aspects although it applies to the physical as well because once you begin to work focusing on the internal the depth of training becomes bottomless. (Please note that there will always be an external portion because we have to move.)

While entering and exploring these depths you begin to experience the other aspects -- truly exploring mind, body and spirit not as separate entities but as complimentary pieces of a whole (much like the yin and yang.)

The best vehicle for the discovery is Kata. For those who think Kata is merely a dance I suggest they seek a different teacher. They may have been taught rote movements rather than listening and exploring the deepest depths of our arts.

I believe that after the basics are covered there is a vast amount of material to be learned and this cannot be done quickly or over night. And very often it must be done by yourself with some guidance and collaboration.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

" For those who think Kata is merely a dance I suggest they seek a different teacher. "

Excellent advice.

You have to be there when a 7th-Dan teacher, a Shodan and a green belt spend an hour and a half on Kanshiwa Bunkai and only make it through the first five moves...that's the class. An hour and a half.
And you're driving home thinking: "that was AWESOME!"

NM
Deep Sea

The Triad of Kata Providers

Post by Deep Sea »

Even now, after all these years, Rick, I am still learning new things from kata.

Not infrequently, there are mixed emotions that attach themselves for an accompanying ride to go along with the new learning "experience."

Fuel for continued martial arts development in terms of advancing fighting skills available through kata is obtained primarily through three ways to get passed a set of keys. To me the following order has been consistant:
  1. While exploring the kata, whether in the solo confines of my home or teaching a small class.
    Spend time, improvise, muck it up, change speeds and tempos, and set up varying conditions of light and night, and the insertion of obstacles especially interfering students.
  2. From younger students most often in the kyu range.
    A young mind not yet filled with all the crap karate has to offer is often fertile and imaginative, and often can come up some pretty neat stuff.
  3. From "knowledgeable" advanced students [advanced black belts and instructors].
    Figured they often learned primarily from #2 above. This is a RARE event in which it is often the luck of the prospector to find the mother lode.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Spike

Post by Spike »

"I believe that after the basics are covered there is a vast amount of material to be learned and this cannot be done quickly or over night. And very often it must be done by yourself with some guidance and collaboration."

Sometimes i feel the things that need to be worked on the most are the basics.

All is Sanchin.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Hey, Spike!

You'd fit right in our group!
Perfect basics make perfect form...(not that WE are, but sometimes the REAL greener grass is THIS side of the fence!)

NM
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Spike:

“Sometimes i feel the things that need to be worked on the most are the basics.”

I think you may have missed the intent of my post. The “basics” can be covered quickly enough to provide a basis for self protection, but only long time study gives you the depth.

(George, as you can see everything is working for me again. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.)
Spike

Post by Spike »

Rick Wilson wrote:Spike:

“Sometimes i feel the things that need to be worked on the most are the basics.”

I think you may have missed the intent of my post. The “basics” can be covered quickly enough to provide a basis for self protection, but only long time study gives you the depth.
No intent missed - although i can see where you are getting that perceived notion. Nope, I understand you completely, you need a foundation to build onto before you really can learn and then really do.

But hey, Learning martial arts is a lot like swimming...you can't learn just from reading!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”