Nishiuchi kobudo

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks Victor. Youtube is a blocked site at my work so I'll have to wait until I get home to check it out.
Glenn
David Hayward

Post by David Hayward »

Glen, I believe the information you have in regard to the Tsunami videos is correct. In 1995 Sensei Matayoshi visited Australia and conducted seminars and training seesions for about 10 days. After one of these sessions he spoke of these videos and pointed out that there were infact inaccuracies/variations. At the time he had just brought out a new video (which is still available) entitled Matayoshi Kobudo. This he endorsed as being technically correct. I note a number of the demonstrations from the U Tube links featuring Matayoshi seem to have been lifted straight off of this video. When I visited Okinawa 2 years later, the Honbu dojo was performing the various Katas exactly as featured on this latter video.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Can anyone give me a link to these videos?

I don't mind giving the man a few honest dollars.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here are the Tsunami ones, now available on DVD:
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Tsunami/P ... tm#kobudo1
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Tsunami/P ... tm#kobudo2

and here is the rest of the Tsunami catalog if interested:
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Tsunami/Pages/Thome.htm

I got my copy of the Okinawa-produced DVD on Ebay several years ago, but I don't see it listed there now. I do see it currently it on Amazon though
http://www.amazon.com/Matayoshi-Okinawa ... B00009ZK64
"Product Description: Okinawan Legendary Kobudo Master Matayoshi Shinpo, was filmed shortly before his untimely death in September 1997. Master Matayoshi along with his senior students, perform many of the traditional Okinawan weapons forms that he was taught by his father Matayoshi Shinko. Shot on location in Okinawa Japan. Approx. 55 minutes Full Color."
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Of the two, I stongly recommend the Okinawan-produced one that shows a little of Matayoshi but most demos are done by his students. It shows more of the style two. I posted a table of contents on another thread a while back, I'll see if I can find it.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I take it that the Tsunami ones are a waste of time. I'm not interested in paying for material which the performer himself indicates is "inaccurate."

This is the one endorsed by Matayoshi?

By the way... Seisan anyone? :wink:

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yes, that is the one. It also shows much more of the style than the Tsunami one does.
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I should point out that it is in Japanese, with no subtitles.
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here is my post of the contents to the Okinawa DVD. I noted in it the performers I recognized, the remaining demos are by senior students of Matayoshi but I cannot identify them by name:
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... enu#137261
The entire thread provides more info on the DVD and Matayoshi style as well.
Glenn
David Hayward

Post by David Hayward »

The main performers are Gakia sensei who demonstrates the kama and timbei; Yamashiro sensei who demonstrates the surichin and Eshkie (not sure how you spell his name) who demonstartes the Sai and bo hoju undo with Yamashiro san.
Gakia sensei has now left the soke and formed his own association.
In regard to the Tsunami videos, I do not believe that it was ever the intention that these videos be a demonstration of the defining and exact movements as they should be perfomed in the various katas, rather they were used to demonstrate and introduce Matayoshi Kobudo.
Actually for me the nanchaku and tonfa katas demonstrated on these videos are much more interesting to watch that the actual formal Matayoshi katas and demonstrate extensions of the movements that appear in the formal Matayoshi nanchaku and tonfa kata.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

David,

Thanks for the info on the performers!
Glenn
Kuma-de

Victor's list

Post by Kuma-de »

Hi Victor, great list!!

What do you do in your spare time?

Best regards,
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Victor Smith

Post by Victor Smith »

Hi Jim,

What is spare time. Actually I only spend a little time on the weekends anymore. I have refined a list of video searches I undertake and when I hit something new, just cut and paste a list.

We're in a very different world, with a vast sharing of information occuring each second. That doesn't mean the information is good, just that it's there, unlike the past when everything was held close to the vest.

But the challenge remains to abstract which information has personal value, and learn how to make it's value apparent.

That is a much harder challenge.
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”