Women as Martial Arts Instructors

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Thank you for that, Dana. I was being slightly sarcastic, but out of my remarks came a good link from the moderator.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

What can a women instructor teach me about extreme violence, like in Trench Warefare? I have NEVER met a woman who had a CLUE about what I am feeling inside, NEVER! It would take a modern woman 2 lifetimes of introspection and soul searching to even touch the surface of what boils down there. I prefer male instructors because they know where i'm coming from....well.. some of them do.

delete at will.
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

Tony-San

If you want to share your feelings about training than you should definitly find a woman instructor. Woman love it when you want to share how you feel. I am not saying this to be funny. I am being serious. If you are trying to explore your emotions when training tan a woman instructor is going to, playing the odds, be more expierenced in identifing and understanding your feelings than a male martial arts instructor.
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

I have experience with female instructors.
david

Post by david »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
What can a women instructor teach me about extreme violence, like in Trench Warefare? I have NEVER met a woman who had a CLUE about what I am feeling inside, NEVER.
Tony,

Not many folks - male or female - will be able to deal with the above. You're talking about a "special" group who "has been there, done that." You'll have to deal with some veterans and/or LEO's to get that. As you know, there are some female veterans involved in the last couple of engagements.

david
david

Post by david »

I dunno, Tony... Seems to me that you're looking for someone to work with you on an "inner dimension." Perhaps, there is an instructor out there who can do that. I never sought that from any instructor. I guess that I believe/realize early on that the "void" is of my own. It is I who own and must come to terms with it.

I look to instructors for tips on physical techniques. I have gotten these from both male and female instructors. As you know, I also don't accept things unquestioned in terms of whether these may or not work for me. I play with them and keep what works for me and discard the rest. My pet peeve is those who say, "You must explore this deeper..." Perhaps... But it depends on the individual. Smacks of condescension, especially if they don't have a clue of where the "student" has been, done, studied or whatever...

If you find someone who can work that "inner dimension" with you, let me know... Image

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited March 22, 2002).]
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

You know I will man...

I don't mean to sound like Men are better then Women, my point is that I need certain qualities in an instructor before I will actually open up to them. I mean, *any* Karate instructor can teach you a punch or a kick, or even how to do it better, but not just anyone can teach you how to put your heart and soul into it. As you said, you pretty much have to do that on your own... I like to consort with "like minds" or as you say "special" folks and learn from them. Tearing the chains that bind us is a daunting tast, but a nessacery one in karate practice.

I suppose I could learn from anyone, this could be a Man or a Women... I am just saying that I have not met a women who could resonate with me on that level, but I have met many men.

[This message has been edited by Tony-San (edited March 22, 2002).]
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

Right David... the thing is, that is where everything I do comes from. it's the source of my drive and determination and the underlying force behind who I am. Can a women help me to understand this? That is why I am in Karate in the first place after all.
LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony-San:
What can a women instructor teach me about extreme violence, like in Trench Warefare? I have NEVER met a woman who had a CLUE about what I am feeling inside, NEVER! It would take a modern woman 2 lifetimes of introspection and soul searching to even touch the surface of what boils down there. I prefer male instructors because they know where i'm coming from....well.. some of them do.

delete at will.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony-sama,

One of the best instructors I have ever had was an Israeli paratrooper who happened to be a woman. She fought in the 68 Yom Kippur War and almost daily for most of her life. In 45 years she has seen more combat than any American or Canadian probably ever will.

For a "been there-done that" matter-of-fact combatives instructor, I have only seen one or two as good.

It seems that perhaps your sample of female instructors might be a little imbalanced. But that's a guess on my part and in no way is intended to flame. It just seems that you haven't ever run into a female combat vet who teaches.

If you have, then your comment about her not knowing what you feel in a combat situation is a bit - off.

No offense and respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

Hi Lee,

I am a Combat Vetran and have served with women.

All that aside, you're right, I have very little experience with female Karate instructors. With the exception of Peggy Hess, i've learned absolutley nothing from female instructors (except maybe how to put my BS Boots on prematurley).

But I am open minded and would recognize the quality you speak of in the Paratrooper female instantly. Doing conditioning excersices at alarming intensity would not impress me like the "battle scar" quality would.
uechiwoman

Post by uechiwoman »

I have found that once I was able to push my male training partners physically that they were more likely to listen to suggestions from me on how to improve their kata, stance, striking technique, etc.

Peggy Hess is awesome!! She is intense and has amazing technique. I also love that she can tell you exactly who influenced her execution of different techniques.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”