Thought of Bill's words..

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

I appreciate the responses, and just wanted to clarify and let the thread continue without this sidetracking of mine.

When I first went to a karate school I was an insecure and self destructive person who didn't know how to stand up for myself. I only was ever able to stand up for other people in social situations, but there was some disconnect when it came to physically asserting myself, I was somehow horrified at the thought of punching someone in the face, in defense of myself. I think I just wanted a temporary father figure to give me permission to be violent at appropriate times, just like everyone else. I should have taken a boxing class, and taken some kind of therapy.

Instead of learning how to deal with social violence, I learned this dark protocol for how to keep myself in ready alert status for an unarmed commando raid behind enemy lines in the service of the Ming empire, or whatever. :lol:

I'm not putting down karate, I just realized I have been obsessed with it to the detriment of growth in the rest of my life, and have used it exactly like I used to use drugs, as a way to escape reality.

Maybe I'll find some kind of boxing class around here, and see if I can gain a new perspective on what I'm doing.

I'm a musician, not a mystical warrior. I'm basically just a gentle soul who wasn't able to find the worth or strength in just being me. The other day, I saved a mouse from my cat. "poor mouse", as my hand shot out to pin the cat to the floor while the mouse, who had been playing 'possum while being pawed and tossed around, found it's chance to run out the door.

I just need perspective. Sorry for the interruption.
And best wishes to everyone here in their endeavors. Really cool people.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

fivedragons wrote:
When I first went to a karate school I was an insecure and self destructive person who didn't know how to stand up for myself. I only was ever able to stand up for other people in social situations, but there was some disconnect when it came to physically asserting myself, I was somehow horrified at the thought of punching someone in the face, in defense of myself.
Well then read Grossman's On Killing. I think you'll find that you're like 85% of the population out there. In other words, you are more "normal" than most.
fivedragons wrote:
Instead of learning how to deal with social violence, I learned this dark protocol for how to keep myself in ready alert status for an unarmed commando raid behind enemy lines in the service of the Ming empire, or whatever. :lol:
Here's the real question - Did you enjoy yourself???
fivedragons wrote:
I'm a musician, not a mystical warrior. I'm basically just a gentle soul who wasn't able to find the worth or strength in just being me. The other day, I saved a mouse from my cat. "poor mouse", as my hand shot out to pin the cat to the floor while the mouse, who had been playing 'possum while being pawed and tossed around, found it's chance to run out the door.
Just this week, my assistant at home - also my karate student - rescued a toad that managed to survive a 26 degree night. He has a 2nd lease on life in a terrarium that we bought for number 2 son. We all are enjoying life.

And that's the way it should be.

Oh and as for you being a musician, would you please join my class? I could use you to help teach a few knuckleheads I have learning under me who have absolutely zero sense of timing. Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!
fivedragons wrote:
I just need perspective. Sorry for the interruption.
And best wishes to everyone here in their endeavors. Really cool people.
Back at you.

Get your perspective. But do not give up what you have discovered. Nobody should be viewing martial arts as an adult the same way you did when you were a kid. You need to grow with it the same way you grow with a partner whom you first learned to love with the other head.

Growth is good. Perspective is good. Bring it back to the table with spades.

We'll keep your place at the Roundtable. 8)

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

Bill said:
Oh and as for you being a musician, would you please join my class? I could use you to help teach a few knuckleheads I have learning under me who have absolutely zero sense of timing. Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!
OUCH!

Vicki (one of your students who never played a musical instrument).
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You aren't one of my rhythm-challenged students who refuses to do remedial rhythm work, Vicki. We teachers get a little grouchy now and then - particularly when you give your heart to a student and they don't meet you half way. We have such hopes for every person who walks in that dojo door. But that effort with some will only go so far.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear - Buddhist Proverb

This is why in every dojo I want an engineer, a doctor or medical student, a lawyer, a musician, a psychologist, an illusionist, an artist, a physical therapist or personal trainer, etc., etc. Throw them all in the mix, and hope some of the intelligence and wisdom diffuses amongst the group.

Michael Jackson - Thriller

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”