Body, Mind, Spirit: How important in your training?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Why did you start and why do you continue practicing the Martial Arts?

Exclusively self defense then and now.
6%
Self defense initially, mix of self defense, health benefits now.
12%
Health reasons initially, self defense now
No votes
Health reasons then and now primarily
6%
Mix of reasons, mostly now because I simply enjoy the training
76%

Total votes: 17

gmattson
Site Admin

Body, Mind, Spirit: How important in your training?

Post by gmattson »

I just read an email from an overseas friend who has now become the president of "High Performance Street Fighting"!

No question that the martial arts has taken a turn towards practicality and with more emphasis on the "body" rather than mind and spirit. I'm curious though, as to why people really stay with their dojo for many years whereas my friend will be lucky to retain "high performance street fighters" for more than a few weeks.

Yes, we all started because bullies kicked sand in our faces as we were growing up, but as mature adults, how many people continue to study exclusively for the self protection promises? Someone posted an interesting letter on another board which asks the question in another way. Obviously the masters on Okinawa and China thought about this topic as well. If you get a chance, fill out the survey and let us know why you started and why you continue to practice the martial arts.
In general however I can say that by the late 19th century social and economic changes in Okinawan and Japanese society made engaging in village style pugilistic contests increasingly less respectable (although the practise itself continued well into the 1930s in various guises - and probably still occurs today in an underground fashion - no evidence for this other than human nature) and many people were seeking to transform Karate, like boxing, into a means of developing physical (and hopefully military) prowess and nationalistic fervour. In doing so, they were considerably influenced by Western ideas along the same lines. Hence the contents of the aforementioned letter.

Earlier quotations separate the arts e.g.

'No matter how skilled you are at martial arts and calligraphy, you should be a good man of humble character.' (15th century)

IOW the danger of doing martial arts well was that of pride and spiritual transformation was not automatic nor guaranteed.

In teaching young men to duel with their fists, Okinawans recognised as much as any other peoples, that in so doing they might produce a few troublemakers and bullies. Sensibly, they filtered out young men who they thought unsuitable for such training and also hammered home the importance of good manners and of being sporting (i.e. not striking to lethally damaging points) although their 'rules' were undoubtedly less refined than ours. Amateur boxing coaches do exactly the same in their clubs. Even baseball coaches do it. And in any sport losing your temper brings the coaches' wrath down on you.

There is nothing special about Karate and nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd of other competitive human activities except perhaps the sheer pretentiousness of some of its practitioners. Even middle aged middle class female Tai Chi players aren't that snooty.

Richard
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good thread George.
I'm curious though, as to why people really stay with their dojo for many years! As mature adults, how many people continue to study exclusively for the self-protection promises?
I would say not many remain for the protection promise. Yet the “protection” factor is often taken for granted__Even as many do not understand “street protection”, no matter how many years they study, as evidenced by the San Francisco kickboxing star who got himself killed by a gunshot.

As you know on my page we specialize in addressing this component factor without suggesting that we become obsessive with it.
There is nothing special about Karate and nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd of other competitive human activities except perhaps the sheer pretentiousness of some of its practitioners. Even middle-aged middle class female Tai Chi players aren't that snooty.
I agree. I have met many people from other combative arts, but found nothing like karate practitioners in their puffed up egos and snootiness
And strutting pretentiousness. We have a huge share of this in Uechi Ryu. Wonder what’s in the style that attracts such characters. :lol:
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Self defence and physical , and in that order because I have the warrior spirit :D

there are many valid reasons for studying yes , but I dont see whay the thought these days that realists cant last ...... the kind of mental and physical struggle that goes with that is directly related to the spirit , learning how much the body and mind can take , only training when it`s to a benificial end .

but it`s all perspective and where on the wheel you are I guess, age , ability , injury , they all come along sometime and theres no reason to give up the other benifits of training , and when that time comes on , it`ll be a pleasure to share the joy Ive gained from training with the next group of warrior spirits .
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

I started in martial arts for both self-defense and health benefits. I knew that I was not going to be catching bullets in my teeth (more than once). But I also knew (and know) that I could increase the odds of being able to protect myself and friends in most situations. And the health benefits were exactly what I expected: because the exercise is varied and interesting, it has never become boring.

What I did not anticipate was the attraction of, what David Mott terms, its "imperfectability." I keep coming back to katas, as though they were New York Times crossword puzzles (which I tend to work over several days, because I need to look at them with distance and new perspectives). I visualize movements before falling asleep, etc. Best of all, I did not anticipate the comradery that would come from working for years with people who shared a love of the art, or the pure joy of working out hard (e.g., in tc class), which is similar to the feeling of finishing a road race with endorphins soaring.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Harvey, can I just quote your whole post and sign MY name to it?
You perfectly captured my reasons, and I'm not exactly verbally challenged!

So:
( as Harvey wrote)

NM
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

I started for the self protection-

the mind was a bonus I wasn't even expecting (lol)

the spirit- it is still healing me- but probably not in the ways you would first think. Sanchin is an excellent meditational tool-

For the body- hoping I don't sound snootty while saying this- but- I've to this date lost 55 pds- and actually have some definition in my muscles- something I never thought I'd have. LOL- ever-
and the physical balance is awesome! Even on bad days- when I'm feeling clumsy- at least I realize it LOL-

all three work together- you effect your body physically with practice- which excersizes your mind effecting the sub-conscious and onto the spirit. If you think you are leaving a portion out- you are just not noticing it's effects. They are still there. Matter of perspective and where your view point is at. Where you are watching "for" the effects per se.

I keep practicing because I love it. I've seen the changes in myself as well as other people- even the ones whom quit reletively soon. It still changes them to some degree.

I keep practicing because of my personal "growth" within the body- within the mind- and the spirit. I don't want to stop growing and learning and being "aware"...

It's also kinda nice to at least have some sense of "fight" within me as well. I'm smart enough to be afraid- but I use the fear to my advantage now. I used to be like a deer caught in headlights- now at least I'd "try" to move out of the way- :)

I keep practicing for the "art" :)

Kerry
Spike

Post by Spike »

I had started martial arts because of those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D Also my parents have always told me as a child that i had to join something, it can be anything that i want - but i HAVE to go. So i joined beavers and cubs with things like that until my father found out that there was a "beautiful" dojo at the top floor of the building and had asked the dojo instructor if the kids could watch a class. So yay, everyone had a chance to watch the [what seemed to be magical at the time] moves of these karate people. :) How lovely it is to be simple minded :) After a few MONTHS of watching i decided to ask my daddy if i could join ... and i've been going ever since. I think i waited for soo many months so i had to ask if i could join...tricky mom and dad! I stay in the dojo for SOO many reasons, i have made friends and a family in the dojo, i learn to expand my mind and not to "follow the crowd" as so many of my peers have done. I have gained a world of confidence, experience, and a way of thinking i could have gathered no other way.

Coincidence?....i think not :)
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

I have met many people from other combative arts, but found nothing like karate practitioners in their puffed up egos and snootiness
And strutting pretentiousness. We have a huge share of this in Uechi Ryu. Wonder what’s in the style that attracts such characters.
They haven`t really experienced being beaten up yet, they must be lucky or really good I guess :? The good still really still shine through the bad however :)
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I started MA's because I was always being put upon and picked on....and hit :cry: ...and I didn't like that one bit , and there was an inate part of me that ......really didn't like that :twisted: , and so I always fought back..and I looked for an easy way to solve this problem and it came along in various guises called " Martial Arts" and at first I practised them with wholly that in mind..to defend myself......but I soon realised that the " masters" who taught me hadn't experienced what I had experienced..they had never fought as I had, and so I taught myself :lol: .....but . I have to say many of the old traditionalists know this.......and many of the " In yer Face" new crowd don't.
It isn't the traditions that fail us ,,,,,it's the way we percieve them.
Spike

Post by Spike »

jorvik wrote:......but I soon realised that the " masters" who taught me hadn't experienced what I had experienced..they had never fought as I had, and so I taught myself :lol: .....
:?: Did you continue your training with those "masters" :?:
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

One thing I have learned, especially from these forums, is that MA practice and "Street Defense" practice are NOT the same. There are areas of overlap. Study of one can include principles from the other. But, they are different.

Additionally, alot of martial artists are deluded, dangerously, in their appraisal of their own capability.
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

SPIKE
That is a difficult question to answer :) .....I don't always do MA's just for their self defence value. Stuff like Tai Chi for example. And even though an instructor might not be able to teach me how to fight, he just might teach me something that I didn't know.
I once said to an instructor that I hadn't come to him to learn how to fight, but rather to learn his style 8) .......yet then again there are styles that I am useless at but were the instructor can easily beat me...such as kicking arts.
So it is a difficult thing to answer......I learned a throw from a Jiu Jitsu teacher who was absolutely rubbish, in a fighting sense....but he taught me the throw so well that I can still do it now....another JJ instructor, was the best " Thrower" that I have ever known....his throws were soft and effortless...yet the poor guy had developed Arthritis of the spine :cry: ....so once again he wouldn't have been much in a fight.
I was generalising a bit in my post :lol:
diegoz_ar

Why I started MA's ?

Post by diegoz_ar »

Hello everybody:
I started because when I wasa kid in school, some bullies sometimes, in my way home, used to hit me. And I wanted to take revenge. Then, with time, I changed the reasons for continuing, but karate really made an impression to me.

Self defense is very important, but I found a lot of other things that came with it... (And I continue finding interesting aspects about it)

Also karate gave me the opportunity to find new friends.

Regards,
Diego
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

One thing I have learned, especially from these forums, is that MA practice and "Street Defense" practice are NOT the same. There are areas of overlap. Study of one can include principles from the other. But, they are different.

Additionally, alot of martial artists are deluded, dangerously, in their appraisal of their own capability.

*sigh*

Uechi isn't street fighting- Uechi ryu is a style of martial art which teaches moves etc for self defense- which would "help" in a street fight. If people want to learn street defense fighting then maybe they should be taking street fighting defense courses.

your other comment is extremely true as well- MA people can also be deluded into thinking they are absolutely and completely right and their opinion is the only one which is right- which is also a dangerous delusion.

J said it best- in my opinion.

It isn't the traditions that fail us ,,,,,it's the way we percieve them - and or don't.

K
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Uechi isn't street fighting- Uechi ryu is a style of martial art which teaches moves etc for self defense- which would "help" in a street fight
Right on, Kerry. And “help” as such __keys into what we have been saying on my forum all along..that Uechi or any other martial art is of limited value in a gutter street fight, especially if weapons are involved.

This is exactly what Ted was trying to convey.

The biggest problem is that the majority of students and their senseis, are totally brainwashed in the belief that their style is a confrontation panacea, and they perpetuate this delusive thinking in their students, who keep the “chimera” alive and well. :wink:
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”