three shots and NOT out!!!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Raffi Derderian

three shots and NOT out!!!

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi all,
I have one student who is cop in Pawtucket, RI. He sees lots of action, more than any other cop I know in the RI area who work in more "cushy" areas. Anyhow, he has been with me for about 6 months in JKD. He has thanked me a few times as he has to use the ju-jitsu we do in this program on a few occaisions. Tonight he was telling me that he and his partner were chasing a 20+ man (I believe it was a domestic call they were on) and as he was trying to climb over a fence Sean (my student) began drawing his asp (expandable baton) with one hand and pulling the suspect down with his other. Now I should tell you Sean is 240 lbs, all muscle. He is about 6'4". A strong guy to say the least. He hits the suspect across the leg hard. Nothing. He does it two more times. Nothing. He then hits him across his arms. Not much better. At this point his partner came in and they tackled the guy to the ground. They think he may have been on drugs. The next day the suspect needed assistance out of his jail cell as he couldn't walk. However, at the time of combat, he was fighting pretty hard.
Lesson learned here?
Raf
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Pain-based techniques aren't reliable when the other guy is souped up on catecholamines, endorphins/enkephalins, and sheer will. And they don't work when the other guy is coked, or otherwise drugged in a manner that affects perception, energy, and feeling. That doesn't mean you aren't doing damage. It just means you aren't going to get a result AT THAT MOMENT. That's a very ugly detail.

My great grandfather (William McCarthy*) came as a starving Irish immigrant at age 14, and promptly joined the Union army. Subsequently he was sent out on the Western front to battle with Native Americans. Bill used to say that Indians hyped up for battle could/would keep charging even if shot. You could disembowel them, and they would still charge with entrails hanging out. In some cases, you just had to dismember the attacker before he became a nonlethal threat.

What to do?

* Avoid if possible.

* Go for reflex points that cause physical movement of the body. One attempts to trigger the stretch reflex so that limbs flex at the joints. Examples are the biceps tendon (stops a hook punch), femoral crease (breaks the center), gag reflex, and hamstring tendons (causes the knee to buckle).

* If lethal force is allowed, then break bones, hyperextend joints, crack skulls, etc., etc. Destroy the structure. Easier said than done. Also consider attacking the eyes.

Lots of luck... This is your attacker from hell, and it will be hell dealing with them. And these are often the ones that experience sudden death while under the care of the LEO after subdued (see Siddle and others). It can make for a very ugly scene later on.

- Bill

* Bill McCarthy settled in Providence, where my grandmother was born. Small world...
Kroh

Post by Kroh »

Excellent point,

When atemi waza ( body stiking techniques ) fails to do it's job and illicit a response, causing damage to motor functions is definately the way to go.

I am a big believer in that most people fight the one sense fight. They focus on one point durring their attacking phase and miss out on the other fives senses. Taking away vison is a big way to sway the outcome. A little dirt in the face or a pocket full of change aimed at the eyes goes a long way ( lets not forget the ever popular finger to the eye trick). Even high, most opponents can't fight what they can't see.

Thanx for the minute...
WalT
fight the good fight

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”