Martial Art Moms Rule

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Andrew Evans

Martial Art Moms Rule

Post by Andrew Evans »

I thought my following story belongs in this section. To all you moms, thank you!

Instructor Sheryl's Surprise Baby Shower

Even while pregnant, my wife continued teaching Chinese Kempo Karate. She continued running her branch and substituting at mine until her seventh month. When she finally stepped down and had me run both branches, one of our students mentioned that we should throw her a baby shower.

I didn’t want to take away from my student’s class time and decided to have it on a group family night where a few families get together at my church once a month to watch a movie while having a potluck followed by a discussion. The organizer of the group was okay with this idea. Thus it was decided to throw Instructor Sheryl a surprise baby shower.

The movie for that night was to be Bob Hope’s “Road to Morocco.” When we pulled into the parking lot on the night of the shower, Sheryl’s comment was "I didn't realize there were so many Bob Hope fans." Upon entered the main room of the building, everyone from church members who never come to family night to a couple of friends from work and a lot of our students shouted, “Surprise!” and a live folk band started playing. Even though I knew about the party ahead of time, I did not know about the band. Wow!

The food was great. A family that we teach made the best spaghetti complete with homemade sauce. Someone else had the best cornbread and someone else brought one of my favorites (you can never go wrong with the Colonel’s fried chicken). There was much more.

The cake, now that was something else. It had a picture of two children working out. One was kicking a bag while the other was holding it along with caption that said, “Swoosh!” The top of the cake said “Karate Kid II” and the bottom said “Kicking Out Soon!” I looked at Forrest, my first child, and asked if he knew who Karate Kid number one is. He just smiled.

Although I told people no presents were required, we received lots of gifts. Sheryl was happy because the stress of shopping for necessities was minimized. Even Forrest received an action figure that he wanted. That impressed me because too often the rest of the family is ignored while the baby receives all the attention. Everything was great. Now all we have to do is wait till the Thanksgiving due date.
Andrew Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts
www.TopekaKarate.com
Spike

Post by Spike »

You truely have a Martial Arts Family ... the best kind :)
Andrew Evans

Post by Andrew Evans »

(Dana, if you're reading this I want you to know that we are Unitarian Universalists too.)

I have to brag about my wife a little more. During her spare moments in the days right after the baby shower, she was busy writing on pieces of paper. At first, I didn't know what she was up to. Then I realized she was writing thank you notes to everyone. All I can say is I am humble that I have such a wonderful woman as well as great students and friends. Oftentimes, I ask myself how I get so lucky and what did I do to deserve this. Thank you for listening. Just a little nervous as the baby is due this month. Us guys have it easy!
Andrew Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts
www.TopekaKarate.com
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Congratulations, Andrew.

You definitely have earned bragging rights.

I once knew, very well, a female TKD instructor who taught through until very late in her pregnancy, plus still worked out. She was an aggressive go-getter. Unfortunately her persistance got to her and she had chronic and sometimes severe back pain after her child was born. I don't think she returned to karate. I remember her once saying that her doctor told her to slack off and her words to those ears who picked them up were that she couldn't because she liked TKD too much.

Chain her down and make her cool her heels if she remains too ambitious about practicing. A couple of months of caution is worth years of good health.
Us guys have it easy!
No we don't. You'll find that one out for yourself. Best of luck.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

All are welcome...UUs are definitely welcome!

Andrew it sounds like you and your wife are wonderful and kind people and the good karma you're sending out in the world is rightfully coming back.

My brother and his wife just had a little one about three weeks ago (making me an Aunt for the first time). Young Gavin Robert Sheets is healthy, pink, and daily adding to his 8 pound 4 oz birthweight.

My very best wishes to you and your wife as you await the arrival of your little one.

Dana
Andrew Evans

Post by Andrew Evans »

Hi folks! Just though you like to know that Walter Remington Evans was born at 3:44am on November 16, 2003 to Andrew and Sheryl Baber Evans (almost two weeks early). Little Walter weighed 7 lbs. 5 ozs. and measured 19". Last but not least, Forrest Parker Evans is proud to be a big brother.
Andrew Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts
www.TopekaKarate.com
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

YEAH BABY!!!!!

And a good lookin' little one at that.

:D:D:D:D:D
kempomama

Post by kempomama »

Hello Everyone,
My hubby just showed me this thread he started (what a sweety) :wink: , and I just want thank everyone for their kind words. Walter is growing so quickly, it's almost scary (12lbs now!) 8O .
-- I now know what Andrew was doing while he was suppose to be"watching" the baby during my final exams, he was giving in to his computer addiction...again 8)
---Now if I could just catch up on my sleeeeepp....zzz
kempomama
baby pager going off again :roll:
Sheryl Baber Evans, Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas
KZMiller

Post by KZMiller »

I'd like to offer my belated congratulations! And good luck catching a few naps. I hope you find those zzzzzzzzzzzzs soon. -- Kami
One seed, many lives.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for dropping by to say hello. Sounds like little Walter will be ready to fit into a gi soon at the rate he's growing! Glad to hear both Mom and son are doing well.

Did your doctor give you any advice particular about training during your pregnancy?

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
kempomama

Post by kempomama »

my physician doctor karen bruce told me to cut back on the kicks because it was killing my pelvis at seven months and i had to discontinue training around eight months because the twisting was too much.

sorry about the lack of caps but i am typing one-handed. it's called a hungry baby...

sheryl :D
Sheryl Baber Evans, Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”