Family Legacy

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Walkman

Family Legacy

Post by Walkman »

My father started me in MA when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. We did Judo together, then switched to Shotokan in 5th grade. After a bit, both my mom and little sister started as well. When we moved, my dad and I were brown belts and they were green belts.

Dad and I trained have trained together off and on since then for many years. It's a great bond between us.

Now, my oldest son and (just recently) my oldest daughter have begun training in Uechi-Ryu together. My two youngest sons want to start when they are old enough.

Three generations of Walkers have been involved in Karate. My oldest son (who started a few months before his sister) has told me that he doesn't want to play any sports, he just wants to concentrate on Uechi-Ryu. I can see him someday as a dad taking his children to their first workout.

Anyone else have a family legacy of karate?

-Walkman
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You are very lucky. Actually I think three generations within THIS country would be quite rare. That's a wonderful legacy.

- Bill
chef

Family Legacy

Post by chef »

I have had the privilege of seeing all three of my children practice karate. I started Uechi karate a few years before my husband started Japanese Wado-Ryu. I had two children at the time my husband was training and they practiced Wado with him for about two years. Years later I had my third child and she worked out in Uechi with me after an almost 10 year hiatus. She worked out a couple of years with me and decided it wasn't for her (or maybe she didn't like taking instruction from her mom as is often the case). I still have hope someday.

A side note: just before leaving New Orleans, I introduced one of my brothers to my first Uechi instructor. After I moved away two of my brothers ended up taking Uechi classes with him, until he had to stop teaching. After a 15 year hiatus for them, one brother, his wife, and both children have been learning Tang-Soo-Do (sp?) and the other brother has his wife and three sons also in the same class. It's amazing, after introducing them to the martial arts and looking back, how that fire that was ignited continues to burn.

Plant a seed and it can grow!

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Spike

Post by Spike »

My father took a type of karate when he was younger when he still lived in montreal, and (when old enough) he enlisted each of his children (3 of us) into any type of MA they wanted. We all started out with Uechi in the beginning. Then my youngest brother had decided to go into TaeKwon Do for a few years until the schedule became conflicting and random so he has gone back to Uechi-Ryu. My father did try Uechi-Ryu for a while, but that did not work out for him.

As far as I know, that's our legacy so far :D

Walkman, that's a beautiful legacy to share, must feel incredible. My compliments 8)
Spitkicker

Post by Spitkicker »

My brother and I both study different syles, however we were on the same Canadian team back in 2000.

My boy is almost two and ready for the sanchin walk-through..

haha I can't wait to see him in a class.
jaybo

Post by jaybo »

Hey all;

Yes, having family in the arts is a plus. My father started me off in his class was back that club folded and a year or two later, I joined another club/style and stuck with it.

My daughter could count to 10 in our language, English, and Japanese when she was very young and I let her delevop her own interest, with a little guidance from me. For instance, when she was 2, my wife would hold her up to the window so she could see inside the dojo. Then, during informal classes, I'd bring her along and she'd sit and watch. Then she would mimic us if she wasn't too shy. Then, I'd let her watch some formal classes.

Now at age 6, I'm teaching her some of the basics, but I don't want to ruin her creativity, so I'm staying away from Kata for now, although when she sees me do mine in the basement, she either tries to copy me or make up her own. I let her kick and hit a soft kicking shield that I let some of the air out in a free wheeling way as opposed to 1,2,3, repeat kind of way.

I'm thinking of signing her up for lessons some where, but the only places that takes them that young around here are TKD places, of which my preference would be ITF. However, the main purpose would be just for the interaction with other children in a fun environment.

I've seen it in other sports, hobbies, arts, etc., what have you...it's much better for the child to develop their own interest with some gentle direction/guidance and then for them to pick up the passion on their own than to say "here's a baseball, become a MLB picture", etc. At least in my own role of parent. But yes, it is nice when your child likes the same things you do, and maybe even effentually having the same passion, or more. I certainly hope she does, and I also hope she surpasses any sort of levels I've reached in karate, and in life in general.

Nice to read about family and the arts. I also enjoy reading about the more personal side of the arts here as I'm not a U-R guy, so I can't comment on much of the other interesting things that are posted.

Thanks!

jaybo

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”