Ever wish you were a woman?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Ever wish you were a woman?

Post by Dana Sheets »

You will after you look at the amazing schedule we've got for the Women's Friendship Tour! Lots of work has gone into putting this together. It's going to be an incredible trip. We're even going to get to do a joint demonstration with the Okinawan contingent of Rich's beloved MCMAP folks. It's a wonderful honor to be working with them for this event. You can also see from the range of dojo that we'll be visiting that this is truly a tour of friendship and openess. We are still receiving donations in support of this historical tour. You can just click the link in my signature to learn more about the tour and offer your support.
Women's Friendship Tour SCHEDULE
Date Main events
Apr.13th Arrive at Okinawa!

DAY 1: Depart: Monday: Chicago April 12
DAY 2: Arrive: Tuesday eve: April 13 Okinawa

DAY 3: Wednesday: Apr.14th
Morning: Training at head quarters {10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M}
Evening: Training at Okikukai Dojos {8:00 –10:00 P.M.}

DAY 4:Thursday: Apr.15th
Morning/afternoon: Sight seeing for south area of Okinawa {9:00 A.M. 5:00 P.M.}
Evening: Training Futenma Dojo {8:00- 10:00}

DAY 5: -Friday:  16 April 
9:30 A USMC bus will pick up your group at the hotel for transportation to Camp Courtney.

10:30-11:30 a Joint Demo.  15 Minutes for MCMAP then up to 20 Minutes for your group followed by about 10 minutes of joint training. Then photo op time.

11:30-12:30 Buffet lunch at the Tengan Castle Rest on Camp Courtney. 

12:30-1:00 Transport back to your hotel
7:00-9:00 is the Reception Dinner at the SOIE Rest
We will have press coverage for both the Base and Okinawa City demo.

DAY 6:Saturday: Apr.17th
Morning: Training at head quarters {10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M}

DAY 7:Sunday: Apr.18th
Sight seeing for Shuri town {9:00 A.M.-5:00P.M.}

DAY 8:Monday: Apr.19th
Morning: Training at headquarters {10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M}
Evening: Training at Okikukai Dojos {8:00 –10:00 P.M.}

DAY 9:Tuesday Apr.20th
Morning/Afternoon: Sight seeing for Kokusai dori St {9:00A.M. -5:00P.M.}
Evening: Training at Toyama/Miyagi dojos {8:00P.M. -10:00P.M.}

DAY 10:Wednesday: Apr.21st
Morning: Training at head quarters {10:00A.M. -12:00P.M.}
Evening: Training at Okikukai Dojos {8:00 P.M.-10:00P.M.}

DAY 11:Thursday: Apr.22nd
Morning/Afternoon: Sightseeing for north area of Okinawa {9:00A.M. -5:00P.M.}
Evening: Kadena dojo with Kiohide & Narahiro Shinjo{8;00 P.M. -10:00 P.M.}

DAY 12:Friday: Apr.23rd
Morning: Training at head quarters {9:00A.M. -12:00P.M.}
Dan promotional testing {2:00 P.M.}
Cultural exchange party {7:00P.M. -12:30A.M.}

DAY 13:Saturday: Apr.24th
Martial arts festival of Women’s Karateka 6:00P.M. -8:00P.M. Okinawa City convention center
We will have press coverage for both the Base and Okinawa City demo.

DAY 14:Sunday: Apr.25th
All Day: Free time

DAY 15: Depart: Okinawa: Monday: Apr.26th
DAY 16: Arrive: Home: Monday : April 26th,evening at 10:00 P.M.
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you show compassion today?
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

8O
Never wished to be a woman but I wish you all the best on your tour.
Léo
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

WOW!
Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Aggressive schedule, no doubt. Sounds like you're gonna have fun. Good luck.

To answer the question of the title: Nope! :shocked!: Unthinkable!
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Drew Doolin

Post by Drew Doolin »

:D Dana, et al,
Sound like a terrific trip! Camp Courtney was my old stomping grounds from '96-99. When you get to Zakimi dojo and speak to TOYAMA Sensei, mention to him that you and I met at GEMs camp. I've told him of the great time I had there, and the nice folks I met. Additionally, take a look around at some of the great photos in his dojo (unique) (not to mention the handsome balladeer from your past) ha.
Have fun.
Drew
d2
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That's a pretty aggressive schedule.

It looks to me like the first few days are going to be the toughest - day 3 in particular. You might try bringing a little melatonin to help with the jet lag. Force yourself on the new sleeping schedule as soon as possible - even before you leave if at all possible.

It'll be a memorable trip for both you and the Okinawans, Dana.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks everyone. It's going to be just awesome.

And - if you thought it was intense before...check out the revsied Day 11 above. We've confirmed another dojo to the tour! Shinjo's. Yahoo!

Bill - is there a brand of melatonin you'd reccomdend? Some supplements aren't all they claim to be.

Dana
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dana

I don't have the assay information to confirm which brands are better than others. In general a handful of name brands (like Twinlab) consistently test well whenever put to the test, but you pay more for these name brands. I would recommend sticking with these name brand products.

The other thing to consider is straight melatonin vs. time release. That's a personal thing, and you just need to find out what works best for you. If your stomach is empty when you take it (half an hour before you want to snooze), then maybe the time release would be better. Otherwise there wouldn't be much difference.

Perhaps some of the other online travelers could pass along their advice. Meanwhile if I find some test information before you leave, I'll let you know.

This jet lag thing is nothing to sneeze at. I remember a number of Okinawans falling asleep in my company when visiting us. You will experience the same. And you may or may not have trouble sleeping on your first night or two. That's where the melatonin helps.

And remember that the risk of injury goes up slightly if you're tired like that. Smart athletes wait a few days before turning the volume up to 100%. Do get on your new schedule ASAP, but remember your potential limitations. Force yourself NOT to sleep during the day (no matter how tired you feel), and get your eyes out in the sun. That helps nature reset the biological clock.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Bill - good advice. I'll share it with the rest of the women going.

Hey Drew - did you ever sing for Mr. Toyama? You shouldn't deny your teachers the knowledge of all your vaired skills...:lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dana

Here's a fairly sober review of melatonin from Vanderbuilt University Psychology Department.

Melatonin: The Myths and Facts

Of note...
Many companies manufacture melatonin. There are two kinds of melatonin available, synthetic or natural. It is recommended to take the synthetic time release formula. It is the closer to the molecular make-up of melatonin and is made with pharmaceutical grade ingredients. Natural melatonin may contain animal parts through which viruses and diseases can be carried
- Bill
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thanks for the info, Bill ...

Have you had any experience with 5HTP? It's a natural supplement that converts in the brain into serotonin. I usually take this at night - helps with sleep, aches/pains etc. Looking at the info you gave on melatonin, it seems to be comparable?

Jackie
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jackie

5HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is what is sold in healthfood stores to replace the amino acid triptophan. It is a metabolite of tryptohan in the body, and that in turn MAY be converted to serotonin.

Triptophan is what's in turkey and released in warmed milk that makes you sleepy. For a while the supplement was used as a "natural" sleeping aid. What's harmful about a naturally-occuring amino acid, right? Then some company that made synthetic tryptophan in Japan made a bad batch of the stuff that caused permanent, severe brain injury in a number of people. Oops!

I've never used 5HTP, but it's my understanding that it can elicit the "after turkey dinner" sleepiness like tryptophan.

As a serotonin precursor, it would allegedly have the ability to relieve symptoms of depression, anxiety, OCD, etc. Some studies seem to confirm this, but taking it can be tricky. Dose levels are tough to get right, and you need to take it on an empty stomach to get the right effect.

SSRIs (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors) such as prozac, zoloft, paxil, lexapro, etc. are the class of drugs generally used by the pharmaceutical industry to treat these seratonin deficit disorders. Rather than make more serotonin, they serve to help preserve what you have.

Be careful messing with serotonin levels w/o consulting your doctor or psychiatrist. Depression is nothing to fool around with, even though it seems a good chunk of folks (particularly females) suffer from it. And you don't want to be taking this stuff if you're already on antidepressant medication of any kind.

Bottom line - this isn't really targeted for treating jet lag.

Jet lag by definition is when your body's normal pattern of releasing the hormone melatonin at night gets out of whack. Generally you stay in synch by having sleep at regular hours, and getting out in the sun during the day. Flying halfway around the world can REALLY screw your body up for a while. It can take days for your body to "resynch" with the new day/night cycle.

- Bill
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Be careful messing with serotonin levels w/o consulting your doctor or psychiatrist. Depression is nothing to fool around with, even though it seems a good chunk of folks (particularly females) suffer from it. And you don't want to be taking this stuff if you're already on antidepressant medication of any kind.
Nope ... not depressed ... Doctor does know I take it (50mg every other evening seems to do the trick). Basically, it is what got me on my feet again - which alleviated body pain... Tried Celexa about 3 years ago & felt like a monkey in a cage taking it!

Thanks again ... Jackie
Drew Doolin

Post by Drew Doolin »

Dana,
Never sang for my Zankai brothers, but I did have a wonderful time on the town one night a few years back with Takamiyagi Sensei and crew at a karaoke bar. Whew! That was a three day recovery! :wink: Have fun! Drew
d2

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”